Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 597 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Flippy screen is a tool. Like waist-level finders were some decades ago. This tool is basic feature of a digital camera in 2020.
I have never had a waist-level finder in a 35mm or digital camera ..... only in a 620 "Kodak Duaflex", which was built that way.
I never had a motor drive until my last film camera - a Canon EOS Elan - had one built in when I got it in 1995.

09-06-2020, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #257
Veteran Member

Yes it is true, single end user cannot perhaps demand anything. But many can. It is a lost business opportunity unless it is meant to be so. By not installing a flippy there (or do full-blown MILC conversion), market demand for such device will drop, manufacturing costs get higher per unit and here you have a 2500€ / $ Pentax APS-C DSLR which will be bought by most loyal customers who may have large collection of AF capable Pentax pro lenses. Sure, just keep the K-1 mechanism in the next K-1 please.
09-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I'm not a fan of smartphones and I'm never going to use a camera that needs one to operate it fully.
I appreciate that not everyone carries a smartphone or is ready to use one with a camera.

I carry a smartphone almost all the time -- as do many folks -- and I'm looking forward to enjoying the new camera and exploiting all of its features and benefits. I imagine that if the wireless sync is fairly robust and supports my several-years old phone, I'll be able to set up my camera on a tripod and control its basic functions remotely, say, for example, hidden from small garden animals or birds, or to prevent my own shadow from interfering with the scene. I'll also be able to mount the lightweight phone directly on the camera. For the large majority of my shots that don't require a movable screen, I'll be able to use the camera bare and benefit from its robustness and compactness.

In general and not related directly to your post @Lord Lucan;, I have encountered several shots recently for which a moveable screen would have been useful, no doubt, but not essential. I managed to 'get the shot' using Liveview. One was low to the road on a tripod in front of a rain puddle and bridge, so one leg of my trousers got wet. On another shot, I leaned over a canal railing and used Liveview to compose. I was able to see the image in the screen reasonably well at an angle (but not ideally). Another shot required a stretch over a construction fence; again, the shot was possible using Liveview.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
No doubt some entrpreneur will sell you a clip to hold the phone on the "camera"...
These products already exist, and are inexpensive, for example:

ULANZI For iPhone Smart Phone Tripod Mount Metal Cellphone Tripod Holder W Cold Shoe Attached to DSLR Camera for iPhone XS Max XR X 8 Plus 7 Plus 6s Plus 6 Plus SE Samsung Smartphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Sevemeoct Adjustable Camera Monitor Holder Mount Arm: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

My son uses such a device to hold a 5-inch Atomos Ninja monitor on his Fuji X-T3 (which has an integrated "flippy screen") mainly for video work on a tripod, and he reports great success with the setup. He needs it for the extended video capabilities possible with the Ninja, but likes the dimensions and resolution over the built-in screen.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-06-2020 at 10:19 AM.
09-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #259
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Anyone really care about a centimeter or a few grams? I think most would rather have a tilt screen.

I measured my K-5IIs and asked my friend with K-3II - the same 62 mm. I used vernier callipers. No wonder, because they have fixed screen too.

Last edited by ogl; 09-06-2020 at 10:20 AM.
09-06-2020, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Yes it is true, single end user cannot perhaps demand anything. But many can. It is a lost business opportunity unless it is meant to be so. By not installing a flippy there (or do full-blown MILC conversion), market demand for such device will drop, manufacturing costs get higher per unit and here you have a 2500€ / $ Pentax APS-C DSLR which will be bought by most loyal customers who may have large collection of AF capable Pentax pro lenses. Sure, just keep the K-1 mechanism in the next K-1 please.
This is pure B.S. so please refrain for offering your opinion as if it were gospel because its not. As for the price what the heck do you know that others don't? You just pushed the selling price up to 2500 Euros without even knowing........again pure B.S. So spare us your negativity.

Oh this is written with all due respect.
09-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #261
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The phone screen is a red herring. Of course it's doable as you can do it already and if it's something that happens for 1 in 5000 shots thats fine. However adding a holder etc would be so cumbersome. Again those users are much better served with other cameras. IQ has basically stalled for years and years. knew might improve IQ but it's unlikely to be by a massive amount. You have the K-70 and KP or even K-1. Knew might be priced quite close the K-1. It's a very bad idea to buy the knew for primarily mushroom shots.
09-06-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #262

I also want to arrest the idea that higher manufacturing costs necessarily result in higher selling prices, just like lower manufacturing costs don't necessarily result in lower selling prices. It can, but it's not a given.

09-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phone as GPS unit

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Wrong (somewhat). Azimuth and direction for Astrotracer are still needed.
I had in mind GEO tagging on the first place. And thanks JPT for experimenting with GRIII and confirming my guess. I never used Astrotracer but I assume that making mechanical adapter holding phone and camera together would be not a problem. (Anyway Astrotracing requires tripod, right? ) Software can take care about the rest.
09-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

I measured my K-5IIs and asked my friend with K-3II - the same 62 mm. No wonder, because they have fixed screen too.
I've got slightly more - about 64mm - on my K-5IIs, although I used a simple ruler.
09-06-2020, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The phone screen is a red herring. Of course it's doable as you can do it already and if it's something that happens for 1 in 5000 shots thats fine. .
I'm pretty sure that 1 in 5000 shots is pretty accurate for when flippy screen comes handy, based on all the images you can see everywhere...
09-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'm pretty sure that 1 in 5000 shots is pretty accurate for when flippy screen comes handy, based on all the images you can see everywhere...
I did consider my number fairly carefully!
09-06-2020, 10:17 AM - 4 Likes   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I did consider my number fairly carefully!
Pentaxians seem to find something to complain about for each "flag-ship" camera.

For the K-3, it was the "Ricoh" labeling on the back

For the K-3ii, it was the lack of on-board flash

For the K-1ii, is was the 'accelerator'

For the "K-3ii replacement", it seems to be the lack of a flippy screen.

Oh well.
09-06-2020, 10:24 AM - 5 Likes   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentaxians seem to find something to complain about for each "flag-ship" camera.

For the K-3, it was the "Ricoh" labeling on the back

For the K-3ii, it was the lack of on-board flash

For the K-1ii, is was the 'accelerator'

For the "K-3ii replacement", it seems to be the lack of a flippy screen.

Oh well.
I wasn't paying close attention during the Ricoh name episode but I think I can safely say that many of the k-New complainers are some of the very same complainers in the K-3II and K-1II episodes.

Complainers gotta complain.
09-06-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that the truth, although would you say that 'some' Pentaxians find something to complain about? The complaints and concerns, while probably valid to those who raise them vocally or repeatedly, seem to represent a relatively small fraction of the community.

I'd be willing to bet that when the K-new reaches market, it will gain a wide level of acceptance and popularity.

- Craig
09-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #270
Veteran Member

Then purchase a KP ..... or a Nikon D500.
People are not going to get what they want by pounding on the floor and demanding it.

People are going to get - or not get - what Pentax provides, and the lack of a flippy screen of the "K-3ii replacement" should be evident now, just as the K-3 did say Ricoh on the back and the K-3ii did not have a flash.

Stating your wishes and expectations does not control Pentax.

None of you is God - speaking your hopes does not make the hopes materialize.
It certainly doesn't. That's true! See the fuji x pro series for example. On one of the models they didn't put a flip screen.

What happened? People objected, less products sold. The next model had a flip screen.
Moral of the story? Customer is king. We decide what's good for us not the companies that sell us the products.

If there is enough objection Pentax (Ricoh) will listen.

Unless this is a hardcore action camera like the 1dx mk3, flip screen is essential.

Nope not the ko, I'm gonna get the k-1 mk2.
Closed Thread