Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Uh Huh.......I knew you would be back.........
I'm incorrigible

09-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpobuttons Quote
70,238...what the hey is this??? oh the number of members of this forum...and on these 24 pages approximately 100 folks a lot of which are the usual suspects have offered their opinion on Pentax's decisions on various features required...peculiar no???
I wonder how many of the 70,238 members are still active.
There seems to be no way of 'withdrawing' from membership in a discussion forum - probably an advertising thing.
09-07-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #348

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Nej för fan It might make it more desirable for some users which is different. We don't have any stats over the potential customers for this camera. We don't even know the specs. There might be other things about the camera that makes it an unlikely buy for the flippy target market. Perhaps it's Leica expensive!

Streamlining the user experience is a good idea imho. Piling up features get in the way of the shooting experience at some point. Particularly in regards to handling. The K-1 is nice but the ui isn't fully refined, it seems the KP isn't quite there either. Not comparing completely different feature sets but knew looks better ui wise and the fixed lcd makes it a more focused product.

I've asked before but those who can't see the advantage of a fixed lcd but only think of it in terms of cost cutting, space saving compromises how to you explain the various fixed lcd flagships. Leica SL, Canon 1dx, nikon d6 etc? None of those are budged constrained why do they omit the lcd? It's an honest question, what are your thoughts about that decision with those models?
Leica can afford to go their own way against the main stream.
On the professional high end (sport) DSLR camera's of Canon and Nikon usually on-camera monitors are fitted if needed.
Their new mirrorless counterparts do not have a fixed screen.
The K-new will be unlikely a camera in these classes.

Last edited by Henk T; 09-07-2020 at 09:15 AM.
09-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #349
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Henk T Quote
Leica can afford to go their own way against the main stream.
On the professional high end (sport) DSLR camera's of Canon and Nikon usually on-camera monitors are fitted if needed.
Their new mirrorless counterparts do not have a fixed screen.
The K-new will be unlikely a camera in these classes.
Yes but the question is why don't they put a movable screen in when they can "afford to go their own way" and instead of having people fit high end monitors afterwards?

They've all come to the conclusion its better. For these cameras they can't omit something that improves more than hampers their users. They need to provide the best possible.

09-07-2020, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There seems to be no way of 'withdrawing' from membership in a discussion forum - probably an advertising thing.
Kind of like CoVid-19 cases versus active cases......the case count keeps rising and no accounting for recovered individuals.
09-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #351
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Twitter

translate:
I attended the PENTAX 100th anniversary meeting and asked the development team about the camera.
"Can this flagship APS-C beat the D500?"
I'll win.
"Can you beat 90d?"
"I'm going to make it the best I can think of!"
"Didn't the bar drop just now?"
old info 1 year ago
09-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The KP is 1.2 mm thicker (I just measured, from the cutaway photos, 63.08 mm) than the K-New, with a flippy screen. One. Point. Two. Millimeters. Thicker.

The argument about the screen being larger and not fitting otherwise I can buy. Saying it's for "thickness" is an absolute nope.
Your "find" doesn't take into account different hardware issues and disposal that may rely on different AF sensor device, image processor or any other difference with KP....

09-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Your "find" doesn't take into account different hardware issues and disposal that may rely on different AF sensor device, image processor or any other difference with KP....
The AF sensor must not be behind the sensor, so that's irrelevant to thickness. Image processors are not bigger than they used to be, so it's also not an important point.
09-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #354
Pentaxian

The AF sensor must not be behind the sensor, so that's irrelevant to thickness. Image processors are not bigger than they used to be, so it's also not an important point.
Sensors come in different thicknesses. I only know this because i read Leica had to use a specific sensor to enable the thin M10 bodies. Some sensor they used elsewhere wouldn't fit. So it has to be enough of a difference to make a difference to the thickness of the camera.
09-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #355
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At any given time there's a few hundred logged in and a few thousand on the forum but not logged in. Highest ever number of members logged in was 12,641. Some members join, log in regularly, but never post.
Some people log in almost every day but post once a year or less. Usage vary greatly. 10,700 members have only ever posted once. Our most active member has posted almost 50,000 times.
09-07-2020, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Our most active member has posted almost 50,000 times.
I feel like such a slacker................................
09-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm incorrigible
It must be a Phd. thing I have a son who is a Phd. Chemist and he reacts in a very similar way.
09-07-2020, 07:23 PM - 3 Likes   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's what I measured with my digital calipers (calibrated).

These are mount to LCD bezel dimensions, mount to LCD screen dimensions may be slightly less if screen is inset rather than flush.

K-30: 63.5
K-r: 63.6
K-5iis: 64.1
KP: 64.3
K-S2: 66.5

K-? : 61.8 (Per Pentax)
K-1: 71.5 (Per Pentax)
09-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #359
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Here's what I measured with my digital calipers (calibrated).

These are mount to LCD bezel dimensions, mount to LCD screen dimensions may be slightly less if screen is inset rather than flush.

K-30: 63.5
K-r: 63.6
K-5iis: 64.1
KP: 64.3
K-S2: 66.5

K-? : 61.8 (Per Pentax)
K-1: 71.5 (Per Pentax)
My K-5IIs (K-3 the same) is 62 mm....I don't understand how 2-3 mm could be important...How? The man can't feel such difference...

Last edited by ogl; 09-07-2020 at 11:40 PM.
09-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #360
Pentaxian

Yes and no : an SLR is no rubick's cube.
Unless we see a half-slashed K-new, we do know nothing in this respect.
Closed Thread