Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 07:44 AM - 6 Likes   #421

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Haha, well, I just felt it was fair to point out, since some people seem to think this camera is supposed to be the Swiss army knife of electronic devices. Even if it had a flippyscreen, someone would be complaining that it can't make espresso.
Hang on, I missed where they confirmed it won't make espresso. Until I hear it directly from Pentax, I'm holding out hope for coffee.

09-09-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #422
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I do the same basic thing as the above to copy my 35mm negatives (and sometimes random papers); digital camera, 105mm macro lens, tripod pointing down. I put the tripod on the floor and look at the screen on the back of my K-5 II to see how I'm doing with regard to focus and check resultant images for exposure. Works the same and no flippy screen or tethering needed.
I use a scanner made to copy 35mm material - does a much better job without copying every scratch and bit of dust.
09-09-2020, 09:31 AM - 4 Likes   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Hang on, I missed where they confirmed it won't make espresso. Until I hear it directly from Pentax, I'm holding out hope for coffee.
The infamous notch in the screen was neither a reflection nor to pull out the screen, it was a coffee nozzle.
Of course, the machine is compatible only with K-cups, so no proper espresso.
09-09-2020, 09:37 AM - 3 Likes   #424
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The infamous notch in the screen was neither a reflection nor to pull out the screen, it was a coffee nozzle.
Of course, the machine is compatible only with K-cups, so no proper espresso.
The new face proximity sensor is actually there to sense when you're going to take a sip and ensure the coffee is cooled sufficiently for said sip.

09-09-2020, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I would be quite surprised if they did not know at Ricoh the advantages and disadvantages of flippy screen. And also why they opted for not installing one in K-New.
Nah....! - D'you reckon?

09-09-2020, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #426
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
May I suggest putting the tripod and camera setup on the floor and spreading your background cloth on the floor. This looks like an easy way to knock a camera off the table
It does look precarious, but I set this up temporarily just to illustrate my method. Normally I use a bigger table and the tripod legs are spread wider, but that table is a mess that I rather not show here
09-09-2020, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It does look precarious, but I set this up temporarily just to illustrate my method. Normally I use a bigger table and the tripod legs are spread wider, but that table is a mess that I rather not show here
No worries you are among friends.......we wouldn't dare talk about your messy table..........................................until we ran out of other things to talk about!

09-09-2020, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #428
PDL
Pentaxian

No beer bottle opener either. I have been asking for one since the K10D.

They just don't listen to me.
09-09-2020, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #429
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
No beer bottle opener either. I have been asking for one since the K10D.

They just don't listen to me.
You don't know about the built in bottle opener in the battery compartment?
09-09-2020, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #430
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you think we still refer to this camera as 'the new aps-c flagship' because they had named it the K-2020?
"Hindsight 20/20"
"20/20 the future is clear"
bunch of things could work off '2020'.. but then.. 2020 happened..
and they need to rebrand?

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-10-2020 at 06:42 AM.
09-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #431
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
According to the camera reviews on this website, "The Pentax LX was introduced in 1980 as a system camera for the professional photographer. It is the only Pentax 35mm SLR to feature an exchangeable viewfinder - a total of 8 viewfinders were available together with 9 focusing screens."

Read more at: Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

[emphasis added]
That is one 35mm camera, not "a lot". Medium format is another story, but why compare them to FF or APSC?
Because fuji has brought medium format down to ff level. I heard from a lot of old timers, that medium format back then was considered pro camera. Unlike this age. My point being that extra flexible screen is really helpful. It's line Swiss army knife
09-09-2020, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #432
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Do you think we still refer to this camera as 'the new aps-c flagship' because they had named it the K-2020?
"Hindsight 20/20"
"20/20 the future is clear"
but of things could work off 2020.. but then.. 2020 happened..
and they need to rebrand?
When I taught college 1983-97, I used to say to the students, “Over half your professional career will be in the 21st Century” - and now we are just over 20% of the way into the 21st Century.

Last edited by reh321; 09-09-2020 at 08:35 PM.
09-09-2020, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #433
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You don't know about the built in bottle opener in the battery compartment?
<snark>
I would prefer a Merican bottle opener, not a European/Canadian metric one.
</snark>
09-09-2020, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #434
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Because fuji has brought medium format down to ff level. I heard from a lot of old timers, that medium format back then was considered pro camera. Unlike this age. My point being that extra flexible screen is really helpful. It's line Swiss army knife
And Olympus brought m43 price to FF levels, so what ? What is that king of argument? Sorry, I don't get it ...
09-09-2020, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #435

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If the K-new delivers something amazing in terms of viewfinder, AF, video or introduces something else that is truly useful, maybe that could balance out the absence of flippy for many.
Yes, consumers balance every +/- when making choices from among so many alternatives from so many companies. This is sort of the crux of the complaints in speculative threads like this in which cameras on the horizon are discussed. The complaints are veiled wishlists in which consumers don't want to make tradeoffs or have anything "balance out," as you said, but rather they want everything.
Camera company: Do you want a small camera or do you want a camera with a flippy screen? Consumer: Both.

Notice there aren't as many complaints in threads about cameras that have already come out because by then wishlists are irrelevant. Complaints are supplanted by Monday morning quarterbacks who will say the camera flopped because it didn't have things on their now discarded wishlist.
Closed Thread