Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2020, 01:10 AM - 2 Likes   #436
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
But actually, this is a perfect illustration of why Pentax chose _not_ to give the camera a flipscreen. They _want_ you to use the viewfinder, and be more directly in contact with your subject. That is straight out of their five principles, and out of every product story related to the new camera. They were not developing a scanning tool, but a camera.
So. It's for the young, who possess hyper-extendable necks and spines. I get it. A small step backwards to encourage the newest generation.

09-10-2020, 01:21 AM - 2 Likes   #437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
So. It's for the young, who possess hyper-extendable necks and spines. I get it. A small step backwards to encourage the newest generation.
Well, to be honest, if you want to use your Pentax DSLR for film scanning, they provide a product for this, too.

09-10-2020, 01:31 AM - 3 Likes   #438

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
So using a viewfinder requires "hyper-extendable necks and spines"?

I guess human beings in the film age were an entirely different breed altogether. I fail to see what any of this has to do with age. I am sure there are plenty of older photographers here who use their viewfinders. Viewfinder shooting is the original SLR method - not a new one for the young grasshoppers.
09-10-2020, 02:25 AM - 2 Likes   #439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You don't know about the built in bottle opener in the battery compartment?
I hadn't paid attention to it: I've found that my German colleagues are capable of opening a bottle of beer in any circumstance, so openers are seldom even needed .

Now a corkscrew might be more practical. Reckon it will be an accessory for the tripod screw?

09-10-2020, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #440

Ah, but what if you're crippled by arthritis, and you're wheelchair bound? Gotta make sure that beer bottle opener/corkscrew is suited to every possible scenario and person - we don't want to risk anyone's pyloric valve closing.

You people display a disgusting lack of proper theology and geometry in your design ideas.

/sarcasm (it's a joke, folks) 😁
09-10-2020, 02:34 AM   #441
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think the point is that you can't find instances where having a flippy screen would be handy. Of course you can. (I'm not sure the scanning photos example is a good one -- I'd probably adjust the set up a bit, it looks precarious).

The question is really going to be whether this camera brings other things to the table that are worthwhile and will make this camera worth purchasing. I guess my thought is that if your main purpose for purchasing a camera is for things that require a flippy screen -- macro shots, street shots, and even scanning photos -- you are going to spending an awful lot of money on a camera that isn't ideal for that purpose. Better to buy a cheap K70 or KS-2 and go with that for those sorts of things.
09-10-2020, 02:38 AM - 4 Likes   #442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
So using a viewfinder requires "hyper-extendable necks and spines"?
Yes it does. Youngsters these days are unable to simply raise the camera to their eyes, due to a certain anatomical difference:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/cpsprodpb/17C02/production/_109928279_sma...-532609287.jpg

09-10-2020, 03:01 AM   #443

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes it does. Youngsters these days are unable to simply raise the camera to their eyes, due to a certain anatomical difference:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/cpsprodpb/17C02/production/_109928279_sma...-532609287.jpg
Haha. 😁

---------- Post added 09-10-20 at 03:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think the point is that you can't find instances where having a flippy screen would be handy. Of course you can. (I'm not sure the scanning photos example is a good one -- I'd probably adjust the set up a bit, it looks precarious).

The question is really going to be whether this camera brings other things to the table that are worthwhile and will make this camera worth purchasing. I guess my thought is that if your main purpose for purchasing a camera is for things that require a flippy screen -- macro shots, street shots, and even scanning photos -- you are going to spending an awful lot of money on a camera that isn't ideal for that purpose. Better to buy a cheap K70 or KS-2 and go with that for those sorts of things.
Or, if you're going to be scanning, perhaps it's more convenient not to buy a camera at all, but a scanner. A tool designed for that purpose.
09-10-2020, 03:53 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use a scanner made to copy 35mm material - does a much better job without copying every scratch and bit of dust.
That's nice.
09-10-2020, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #445

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

You end up with walking around with more than one camera. The only camera (not with two) I want to walk around with in nature should indeed be a swiss knife in that it includes amongst other obvious features a tilting screen as well as in-built GPS. The K-1 is most suitable for me and rather unique amongst competition for having in-built GPS. However I will have to forget getting a new camera in the lighter APS-C format.
09-10-2020, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #446
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Henk T Quote
You end up with walking around with more than one camera. The only camera (not with two) I want to walk around with in nature should indeed be a swiss knife in that it includes amongst other obvious features a tilting screen as well as in-built GPS. The K-1 is most suitable for me and rather unique amongst competition for having in-built GPS. However I will have to forget getting a new camera in the lighter APS-C format.
More often than not I end up carrying two cameras on shorter hikes. Why? I try to avoid doing lens changes in the field, my sensors seem to be preloaded with bug bait and dust attractants. So one camera gets a macro (DFA100WR) and the other a telephoto (DFA*200 or *300). With that said there are rarer times I'll carry just one and a zoom, maybe a 12-24 if landscapes or 70-200 if critters, even if I prefer primes. I'm also one of those guys who doesn't use the flippy screen even tho it's there. I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't, but I agree the K-1's is wonderfully adaptable to just about any shooting position. I've tried it two or three times.

If I'm attending a public outdoor event I ALWAYS carry two cameras and for the same reasons. Even a dozen people can raise a good bit of hair, fuzz, and dust in the air and I simply won't remove a lens, though the choice of which ones to use might be different.
09-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
That's nice.
There is an important truth behind this.
There is no reason to use a DSLR as a "Swiss Army Knife".
Yes, it could do the job --- but why??
Get the tool designed to do the task.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
If you cannot afford the proper tool, then ask yourself whether you should be doing it at all.
Yes, I own a KP with a flippy screen, but I use that flippy screen only in those situations where there is no realistic alternative.
09-10-2020, 07:05 AM - 3 Likes   #448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an important truth behind this.
There is no reason to use a DSLR as a "Swiss Army Knife".
And here I thought that the entire point of a camera with interchangeable lenses was to have a Swiss Army Knife.

Get the tool designed to do the task.
That's very nice until reality hits you with three or four tasks at the same time and you don't have a family of Sherpas available to carry all the tools.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
If you cannot afford the proper tool, then ask yourself whether you should be doing it at all.
Anyone unable to afford a 1Dx iii ought to stay out of taking photos of their kids doing sports, you're right. I mean, why bother.
09-10-2020, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #449
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And here I thought that the entire point of a camera with interchangeable lenses was to have a Swiss Army Knife.
The whole point is to do many tasks - not to do all tasks.
That is why the comments about opening wine bottles or making coffee are so funny - copying slides is only slightly less "funny".
09-10-2020, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #450
Pentaxian

I have swiss army knife. I'm artist who needs arious tools in my work. I use my swiss army knife for opening a beer bottle. I use other tools which are better for carving, opening screws, sawing...to do it, because with swiss army knife can do many things, but none of them properly. Fun fact.
Closed Thread