Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,716
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Receipt Date : May 25, 2020
Country of Mass-production : Philippines
Condition : Production model / Production prototype / Engineering prototype (Not for Sale: This sample is equivalent to mass-produced items.)


Source: R03010 DIGITAL CAMERA Test Report 03 FCC _DTS RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, .

I bet for an announcement before end of september 2020, and a release end of october.
Idem K-3, that was also available in both silver and black colours from the start.

07-31-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,237
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I bet for an announcement before end of september 2020, and a release end of october.
Idem K-3, that was also available in both silver and black colours from the start.
Dealer orders for Holiday period delivery are right about now.
07-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,162
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
DLi90 is the highest powered Pentax Battery.
Found since K-5 in all the APS-C (incl. K01 but excl. K-P), FF and MF flagships.
So not a surprise for K-2 in this respect.
It's getting a bit long in the tooth. Nikon just upgraded their EN-EL15 battery to the "c" version, going from 1900 mAh (slightly over the D-Li90) to 2280 mAh - that's 20% more. Considering Pentax cameras are the DSLR equivalent of gas guzzlers I'd have hoped for an improved model...
07-31-2020, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member
Painter's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
Super pleased to find out it uses the same battery form factor as the K-3 and others. That doesn’t eliminate the possibility for a higher mAh rating but even if it doesn’t at least I can share batteries and chargers.

07-31-2020, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #35
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,469
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's getting a bit long in the tooth. Nikon just upgraded their EN-EL15 battery to the "c" version, going from 1900 mAh (slightly over the D-Li90) to 2280 mAh - that's 20% more. Considering Pentax cameras are the DSLR equivalent of gas guzzlers I'd have hoped for an improved model...
I wonder how the "K-3ii replacement" will compare to the Z-50 in battery life - which camera will be the "gas guzzler".
07-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #36
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's getting a bit long in the tooth. Nikon just upgraded their EN-EL15 battery to the "c" version, going from 1900 mAh (slightly over the D-Li90) to 2280 mAh - that's 20% more. Considering Pentax cameras are the DSLR equivalent of gas guzzlers I'd have hoped for an improved model...
The internals of the battery are two 18500 cells. The technology (capacity) of those cells has advanced considerably since it was first used in the K-7. Im certain that higher capacity cells can be used in newer versions and for probably a cheaper cost than the older ones from 8 years ago.
07-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #37
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's getting a bit long in the tooth. Nikon just upgraded their EN-EL15 battery to the "c" version, going from 1900 mAh (slightly over the D-Li90) to 2280 mAh - that's 20% more. Considering Pentax cameras are the DSLR equivalent of gas guzzlers I'd have hoped for an improved model...
Nikon needs more power for both video and mirrorless don't they, or they using a different battery in their MILC's?
07-31-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,162
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wonder how the "K-3ii replacement" will compare to the Z-50 in battery life - which camera will be the "gas guzzler".
And that's why I wrote "of the DSLRs". MILCs all have terrible battery life for obvious reasons. In any case, for comparison's sake: the D7500 is rated at 950 shots with the old battery, so with 20% more juice it would get around 1100. And that's not getting into the fact that the D7500 has flash (CIPA ratings use the onboard flash for 50% of shots). The D500 has a rating of 1240, so probably 1450 with the new battery... In Canonland, Canon 90D is rated to 1860 shots without flash.

The K-3ii is rated to 720. That's most likely the SR's fault, as Canikon don't have IBIS in their DSLRs (does lens IS influence as much as IBIS? Is it counted?). I know for a fact that the 6D lasts substantially longer on a single battery than the K-1 in any case. When the 6D goes empty I'm halfway through the second battery...

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 12:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Nikon needs more power for both video and mirrorless don't they, or they using a different battery in their MILC's?
The new battery is compatible with most of their DSLRs, so the MILCs are irrelevant for the comparison here.

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
The internals of the battery are two 18500 cells. The technology (capacity) of those cells has advanced considerably since it was first used in the K-7. Im certain that higher capacity cells can be used in newer versions and for probably a cheaper cost than the older ones from 8 years ago.
Exactly. I don't expect them to charge less money, but around 2200 instead of 1860 would be appreciated... my phone has 3200 and the battery is smaller!

07-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #39
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sankt Peterburg
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,385
D-LI90 without flash

K-7 - 980 shots
K-5 - 980 shots
K-3 - 720 shots
K-new - ?
07-31-2020, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #40
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And that's why I wrote "of the DSLRs". MILCs all have terrible battery life for obvious reasons. In any case, for comparison's sake: the D7500 is rated at 950 shots with the old battery, so with 20% more juice it would get around 1100. And that's not getting into the fact that the D7500 has flash (CIPA ratings use the onboard flash for 50% of shots). The D500 has a rating of 1240, so probably 1450 with the new battery... In Canonland, Canon 90D is rated to 1860 shots without flash.

The K-3ii is rated to 720. That's most likely the SR's fault, as Canikon don't have IBIS in their DSLRs (does lens IS influence as much as IBIS? Is it counted?). I know for a fact that the 6D lasts substantially longer on a single battery than the K-1 in any case. When the 6D goes empty I'm halfway through the second battery...

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 12:27 PM ----------



The new battery is compatible with most of their DSLRs, so the MILCs are irrelevant for the comparison here.[COLOR=Silver]
It's not irrelevant if the reason Nikon increased the battery capacity is due to the increased demands from their MILC's and not that they were insufficient for their DSLR's. I

I'm with you that I wouldn't complain about a longer-lasting battery even if I do always carry at least one spare and sometimes more. We're in the same chapter of the book, just not on the same page. I don't see the D-190 as under-powered.
07-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,162
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It's not irrelevant if the reason Nikon increased the battery capacity is due to the increased demands from their MILC's and not that they were insufficient for their DSLR's. I

I'm with you that I wouldn't complain about a longer-lasting battery even if I do always carry at least one spare and sometimes more. We're in the same chapter of the book, just not on the same page. I don't see the D-190 as under-powered.
Yeah, but the thing is... they did improve on it, and it can be used in DSLRs (which I assume will ship with it in the future) so the comparison kinda makes itself . Canon has also gone through one or two upgrades of their "top" (not counting the massive power pack of the 1D series) battery, and they did so before they released any MILCs (and their cameras have really high ratings as well - the full framers are over 1K shots per battery and I can attest to that from personal experience).


I don't necessarily see the D-Li90 as underpowered, it does the job and carrying a spare is no big deal, but it is lower than the competition to the point where some MILCs are on par with the Pentax DSLRs- The Sony A6600 is rated for 720 shots using the EVF! And it has IBIS as well - I have to wonder if Pentax cameras are just more inefficient with power. If I could have one battery last through more than a couple hours of night photography that would be grand

Battery life on an equivalent battery charge is a clear advantage of DSLRs over MILCs, I just think Pentax should exploit it like Canikon do.
07-31-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #42
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,185
Guys, whats going on with the certification location... if that screen is fixed, I don't understand how that certification could be viewed.

Twitter

Link

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 02:31 PM ----------

I was convinced that the screen was fixed... now I am not so sure.

Edit Edit -- haha I am wrong
Attached Images
   

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-31-2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: cause I am wrong
07-31-2020, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,535
^ Maybe it's under the screen permanently? As in you don't see it until you somehow remove the screen?

Hahaha! Who knows.

It is rather interesting, though.
07-31-2020, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,185
I'm thinking we have ourselves a movable screen...
07-31-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,149
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I don't understand how that certification could be viewed.
It does say Display position of Electronic indication whereas the arrows on the right say Label position.

So maybe they will show a copy of the certification in the menus.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery life, capacity, cells, controls, dslrs, fcc, flash, function, grip, joystick, jpeg, k-new, kp, life, media, pentax news, pentax rumors, pm, position, post, r03010 = k-new, resize, screen, sense, shots, size, wheel
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekly Challenge POTW #601 Covering Period 12 July through 25 July 2020 smf Weekly Photo Challenges 5 07-22-2020 01:14 PM
Picture of the Week POTW # 323 13 July - 27 July 2014 pentaximus Weekly Photo Challenges 57 08-01-2014 01:33 AM
Shipping to States FCC Dr_who Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 02-21-2013 03:38 PM
House Republicans move to block FCC's Net Neutrality rules deadwolfbones General Talk 5 03-16-2011 06:47 AM
FCC Part 15 rule anthony General Talk 18 08-11-2009 11:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top