Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
If you have a smartphone that doesn't support 802.11ac yet, you're probably much more in need of a new phone than a new camera
How about laptops? They tend to get replaced less regularly.

And whilst there are faster Wi-Fi options, they all require multiple antennae to get the highest speeds: something that is not really ideal on a camera. Sony α7iii has 'only' 2.4GHz 802.11n, though the £3500 α7R IV does have dual standard 802.11n and 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz. A more direct comparison: Nikon D500 has only 802.11g.

While 'we' all want the fastest and greatest at any cost, I'm happy with some sensible compromises on the Wi-Fi. I don't expect compromises with image quality or ergonomics.

08-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #107
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
How about laptops? They tend to get replaced less regularly.

And whilst there are faster Wi-Fi options, they all require multiple antennae to get the highest speeds: something that is not really ideal on a camera. Sony α7iii has 'only' 2.4GHz 802.11n, though the £3500 α7R IV does have dual standard 802.11n and 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz. A more direct comparison: Nikon D500 has only 802.11g.

While 'we' all want the fastest and greatest at any cost, I'm happy with some sensible compromises on the Wi-Fi. I don't expect compromises with image quality or ergonomics.
Have there been any studies of the camera battery drain transferring a series of images via wifi using the different wifi speed with various camera models?
08-07-2020, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel the Bluetooth chip could be updated.
Compared to Bluetooth 4.2, Bluetooth 5 has:

2x the data rate
4x the range
8x the broadcast capability
Bluetooth 5 has been around since 2017.
Bluetooth 5 has been formulated to use less power than 4.2
Bluetooth 5 clocks in at two megabits per second (Mbps) which is twice as fast as version 4.2 with its 1 Mbps.

Personally I take my SD card out and either transfer to my portable "My Passport Wireless Pro" 2TB storage with the push of a button and without a laptop, or I simply wait until I am at home and transfer directly to home PC
I have tried the wireless functionality for the K-70 and i only used it to test out the Pentax phone app "Image Sync" (Which works well by the way however I prefer my corded intervalometer when using a tripod in any case)

I could totally live without either WiFi or Bluetooth in a camera.
08-08-2020, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
Super pleased to find out it uses the same battery form factor as the K-3 and others. That doesn’t eliminate the possibility for a higher mAh rating but even if it doesn’t at least I can share batteries and chargers.
Same thought here. Having a bunch of extra batteries to keep around as spares beats a battery upgrade, for me. A new battery type would require me to keep track of two different chargers with fewer options for spares. I am not a well organised person, and this will definitely make my life with the K-new easier!

08-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #110
Forum Member

The use of the small entry-level D-LI109 battery for the KP, was I think, a big mistake by Pentax. As was the absence of second SD card slot.
These, added to absence of upper LCD control screen, made the KP look as straight downgrade for users of K-3.
I'm glad Pentax took notice and corrected these lacks for the K-new (be it called K-2, KP-2, K-3 mk III, K-9, or whatever).

I hope it is not too late for Pentax to release an APS-C enthusiast / semi-pro reflex, given the current dire photography hardware market.
08-08-2020, 09:09 AM - 4 Likes   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
The use of the small entry-level D-LI109 battery for the KP, was I think, a big mistake by Pentax. As was the absence of second SD card slot.
These, added to absence of upper LCD control screen, made the KP look as straight downgrade for users of K-3.
I'm glad Pentax took notice and corrected these lacks for the K-new (be it called K-2, KP-2, K-3 mk III, K-9, or whatever).

I hope it is not too late for Pentax to release an APS-C enthusiast / semi-pro reflex, given the current dire photography hardware market.
A larger battery, second card slot and top lcd would have made the KP into a K-3. There was much moaning about the KP not being a K-3 way back but this seems to have mostly subsided as people understand that the KP is a different camera with different advantages.
08-08-2020, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bottom was June. Robust GDP growth and high income consumer recovery in 2021 and 2022, which has implications for ILC’s in general.

But look out after that.

08-08-2020, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

I like the KP just as it is.
If you add the bigger battery that I don't need and the second card slot that I wouldn't use, and most likely I would still be regularly using my {hobbled} K-30.
08-08-2020, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

The KP was not a replacement for K-3, I have the KP and very very few peoples are not happy. perfect size for travelling, hiking and other. I never take 1000 photos in a single day
08-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #115
Forum Member

It is not only about people who bought the KP and are quite happy with it, despite the limitations.
I'm sure many people feel the KP is just fine for them.
But this represents only one side of the coin.
It is also about the sales that Pentax have lost, because KP's lack of features that some photographers consider important.
Features that would have made the KP stand on level or above the competition, but Ricoh have not managed to implement.

You may consider the KP was not intended as a replacement for the K3-II.
But in fact there is no higher level APS-C Pentax camera, since late 2017.
So the KP replaced the K3-II without some important features.
08-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A larger battery, second card slot and top lcd would have made the KP into a K-3. There was much moaning about the KP not being a K-3 way back but this seems to have mostly subsided as people understand that the KP is a different camera with different advantages.
And guess what, it wasn't even called K3-III
08-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #117
Pentaxian

It is not only about people who bought the KP and are quite happy with it, despite the limitations.
It is also about the sales that Pentax have lost, because KP's lack of features that some photographers consider important.
Features that would have made the KP stand on level or above the competition, but Ricoh have not managed to implement.

Pentax's original intentions are kind of mysterious to us.
But, guess what, the new camera is the "K-3ii replacement".
08-08-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #118
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

there is no higher level APS-C Pentax camera, since late 2017
And we look like getting the new high end APS-C body in late 2020. That is a three year generation cycle. The sounds about right if some serious research and improvements go into it.
08-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
And we look like getting the new high end APS-C body in late 2020. That is a three year generation cycle. The sounds about right if some serious research and improvements go into it.
Similar to the automotive industry for newer models/refreshes of existing models with new improvements and better features. Nothing wrong with that to me!
08-10-2020, 07:59 PM - 5 Likes   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Ricoh was very firm about the KP not being a replacement for the K3 right from the outset. It is only purveyors of misinformation who have said otherwise.
Ricoh’s only mistake in the matter was discontinuing the K3 before the replacement was ready. If they had had a better stock level at the time there MIGHT have been less angst and the accompanying whinging and misinformation.
Closed Thread