Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Guys, whats going on with the certification location... if that screen is fixed, I don't understand how that certification could be viewed.

Twitter

Link

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 02:31 PM ----------

I was convinced that the screen was fixed... now I am not so sure.
If anything, it solidifies it: I can't see any edge lines indicating a moving mechanism. The bottom view is particularly damning as the camera is very slim behind the sensor...

07-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #47
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
So maybe they will show a copy of the certification in the menus.
Nice. I bet this is it. haha got excited there.
07-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More interesting is the 5/9/12V.

12 is the battery, 5V would possibly be USB powered but what's the 9V for?
07-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More interesting is the 5/9/12V.

12 is the battery, 5V would possibly be USB powered but what's the 9V for?
My K-1 says "9V", so that's the battery one (the battery itself is 7.2 V nominal). The interesting question is the 12!

07-31-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
My K-1 says "9V",
Doh! So maybe they've upped the DC in to 12V? Perhaps you can run/charge it in a car?
07-31-2020, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Guys, whats going on with the certification location... if that screen is fixed, I don't understand how that certification could be viewed.

Twitter

Link

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 02:31 PM ----------

I was convinced that the screen was fixed... now I am not so sure.
Yeah. If you carefully use a screwdriver to peel of the back LCD, eventually heating it in advance to soften the glue...

The GR III has a Certification Marks screen, accessible through the menus. So will the K-new, it seems.
L.E. alfa75ts was spot on.
07-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The 802.11ac standard is about eight years old.

I don't think it is a sign of impatience if one expects standards that old to be implemented. The WiFi transfer speeds are woefully slow and essentially turn the associated apps into glorified remote controllers. I really appreciate the functionality that already exists, but wouldn't it be nice if one could transfer image files more quickly?

Perhaps the ultimate cause for the slow transfer speeds have been other hardware components, in which case the K-new could be faster than existing models.
AC brings nothing to 2.4GHz band anyway.

07-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #53

Ok, any idea what does the padlock button do?
Maybe it disables touchscreen? But for that we have sensor under viewfinder. I don't know what can it do.
07-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Doh! So maybe they've upped the DC in to 12V? Perhaps you can run/charge it in a car?
I would assume it has USB-C with PD power delivery, which would allow different voltage for charging, depending on the charger.
07-31-2020, 02:18 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I would assume it has USB-C with PD power delivery, which would allow different voltage for charging, depending on the charger.
I wouldn't assume anything but the idea is exquisite

Edit: looking at the charger received with my Xiaomi Note 9 Pro, it does indeed proposes (with multiple amp values): 5, 9 and 12V.
07-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I wouldn't assume anything but the idea is exquisite
Haha, right. But doesn't the GRIII already have USB-C? Don't know about the PD... anyone noticed faster charging with PD chargers and cables?
07-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
that is the k-3ii battery.
Steve
k-7, k-5, k-01, k-3, k-1 . . .
07-31-2020, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bluetooth transfer speeds are much faster (albeit with lesser bandwidth than wifi, I think).
There is a direct relationship between bandwidth, frequency, range, power consumption and transfer speed. Bluetooth is a low-bandwidth communication protocol, so transfer speeds are slower than high-bandwidth communication protocols like 802.11 WiFi, but requires less power to achieve a similar range. Bluetooth is marginally acceptable for high-fidelity audio communication; for transferring RAW images, it is perfectly useless. In a high resolution digital camera, Bluetooth is useful for quickly and simply making a connection between the camera's built-in 802.11 WiFi and a high bandwidth WiFi access point, while consuming very little battery power itself. It has a longer range and is more secure than using NFC (near field communication) to do the same thing in a digital camera.

The following isn't directed at anyone specific: If you want fast wireless data transfer, it takes power, lots of power, and if there isn't an equally powerful and fast wireless networked device within range to communicate with, wireless data transfer is like (insert crude barnyard simile here). For a group of camera users that obsess over unbaked RAWs and time consuming post processing to extract every last drop of IQ, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to obsess over faster wireless data transfer in a camera. If you really need to transfer images to a computer network with minimum delay after pressing the shutter, tether your camera to a laptop with high bandwidth network access. The same group of obsessive camera users also obsess over the size and weight of their equipment; well, putting faster wireless network access in a camera works against that. Wireless network access in a high resolution digital camera is good for Image Sync apps that let you remotely control your camera with a small compact device in specific instances where you can't see the live view display and you want to have some way to change camera settings and release the shutter without touching the camera. Period. For the easiest, fastest and most reliable transfer of RAW images, take the SD memory card out of the camera and copy the files to a computer. Period.
07-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
<snip>

The following isn't directed at anyone specific: If you want fast wireless data transfer, it takes power, lots of power, and if there isn't an equally powerful and fast wireless networked device within range to communicate with, wireless data transfer is like (insert crude barnyard simile here). For a group of camera users that obsess over unbaked RAWs and time consuming post processing to extract every last drop of IQ, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to obsess over faster wireless data transfer in a camera. If you really need to transfer images to a computer network with minimum delay after pressing the shutter, tether your camera to a laptop with high bandwidth network access. The same group of obsessive camera users also obsess over the size and weight of their equipment; well, putting faster wireless network access in a camera works against that. Wireless network access in a high resolution digital camera is good for Image Sync apps that let you remotely control your camera with a small compact device in specific instances where you can't see the live view display and you want to have some way to change camera settings and release the shutter without touching the camera. Period. For the easiest, fastest and most reliable transfer of RAW images, take the SD memory card out of the camera and copy the files to a computer. Period.
<irony>

Instagram devices don’t have an SD Card slot.

</irony>
07-31-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
<irony>

Instagram devices don’t have an SD Card slot.

</irony>
Let's make one.
Closed Thread