Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
For a group of camera users that obsess over unbaked RAWs and time consuming post processing to extract every last drop of IQ, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to obsess over faster wireless data transfer in a camera.
Considering Pentax offers the raw+JPG mode, I'd argue that reasonably fast transfer of said JPGs is desirable. I don't need more than, say, 1 MB/s, but transfer times of almost half a minute for stuff that weighs ~11 MB (It seems the DL speed is about 400 KB/s) is slightly too slow.

07-31-2020, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #62
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm thinking we have ourselves a movable screen...
For the same reasons that many of us explained back in September 2019 (and got howled down). Press at the bottom right and the screen is released. The lines on the diagram are still convincing enough for me.
07-31-2020, 03:31 PM - 5 Likes   #63
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
for transferring RAW images, it is perfectly useless.
I think this is the crucial point. You don't need to 'quickly' get a raw file out on the web.
If you shot raw, you're going to sit down, take the card out and plug into a computer to edit further.
But Pentax also supports really neat presets for their in-camera JPEGs - from complete natural look, to retro-stylin..
And those are the fun images people want to quickly share with their friends about what they are doing and where they are.
It's not to transfer your raw files to your desktop.
They need to compete with the camera in a smartphone.
Easy sharing is crucial.
07-31-2020, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I think this is the crucial point. You don't need to 'quickly' get a raw file out on the web.
If you shot raw, you're going to sit down, take the card out and plug into a computer to edit further.
But Pentax also supports really neat presets for their in-camera JPEGs - from complete natural look, to retro-stylin..
And those are the fun images people want to quickly share with their friends about what they are doing and where they are.
It's not to transfer your raw files to your desktop.
They need to compete with the camera in a smartphone.
Easy sharing is crucial.
I largely agree with all of that.

07-31-2020, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Considering Pentax offers the raw+JPG mode, I'd argue that reasonably fast transfer of said JPGs is desirable. I don't need more than, say, 1 MB/s, but transfer times of almost half a minute for stuff that weighs ~11 MB (It seems the DL speed is about 400 KB/s) is slightly too slow.
For Social Media sharing shoot small jpeg and small file size. Then you aren’t transferring a 1MB file.
07-31-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For Social Media sharing shoot small jpeg and small file size. Then you aren’t transferring a 1MB file.
Ooooh...
Good advice!
07-31-2020, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Ooooh...
Good advice!
You can also resize a full-res JPEG image in Playback Mode to smallest, then transfer that file. Resolution for an Instagram or Facebook post doesn’t really matter, does it?

07-31-2020, 04:02 PM - 6 Likes   #68

There ain't no notch. Screen cap from the Part 2 video:
07-31-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
It does say Display position of Electronic indication whereas the arrows on the right say Label position.

So maybe they will show a copy of the certification in the menus.
Correct. It's an image stored in the camera, as is a start-up screen.

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 07:15 PM ----------

Shoot full size if you like, and even RAW only. Develop to JPEG in-camera and resize has always been possible.

07-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There ain't no notch
Never was.
07-31-2020, 04:43 PM - 5 Likes   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There ain't no notch. Screen cap from the Part 2 video:
Doesn't have to be a notch per se.
In this patent from 2018, there's mention of magnets holding the screen in place as well as recesses and keeping the screen flush to the body so it's not in the way of button operations.
I'm not saying it will be in the new APS-C, but it is a very strong possibility since it seems to be an evolution of the K-1 screen mechanism.
US Patent Application for ELECTRONIC APPARATUS AND IMAGING APPARATUS HAVING MULTI-POSITION MOVABLE DISPLAY Patent Application (Application #20180367710 issued December 20, 2018) - Justia Patents Search
07-31-2020, 04:56 PM - 3 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Doesn't have to be a notch per se.
In this patent from 2018, there's mention of magnets holding the screen in place as well as recesses and keeping the screen flush to the body so it's not in the way of button operations.
I'm not saying it will be in the new APS-C, but it is a very strong possibility since it seems to be an evolution of the K-1 screen mechanism.
US Patent Application for ELECTRONIC APPARATUS AND IMAGING APPARATUS HAVING MULTI-POSITION MOVABLE DISPLAY Patent Application (Application #20180367710 issued December 20, 2018) - Justia Patents Search
Whether it's there or not on the K-new I like it when members take the time to do some independent research. Thanks for that Kobie.
07-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also resize a full-res JPEG image in Playback Mode to smallest, then transfer that file. Resolution for an Instagram or Facebook post doesn’t really matter, does it?
Discord-sent images (what I typically send) are full-res and normally viewed by my friends on fairly large computer screens. Small-size (11 megapixels) photos look good at 3-star quality (average file size is ~7 MB, maybe a smidgen higher for complex scenes), but start suffering at low.

Then again, I'm fairly certain I'm not the most common user
07-31-2020, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would appear that USB charging is also supported, unless I am reading this wrong.

Attached Images

07-31-2020, 05:38 PM   #75
PDL
Pentaxian

<irony>

Instagram devices don’t have an SD Card slot.

</irony>
You mean a full sized SD card - not a micro SD like most Instagram devices have (except those made by Apple).
Closed Thread