Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 267 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You've made very good rational points about Bluetooth but this seems like fighting a straw man.

Who are these people that "obsess" over "unbaked RAWs" and "faster wireless data transfer"?
I can't say I've ever seen anyone arguing for faster WiFi in order to have their unbaked RAW files to be transmitted more quickly.

I think it is perfectly fine to ask for faster WiFi transfer for the purposes of transmitting a better quality Live View image or decreased transmission times for full resolution JPGs in order to check focus.

I furthermore think it is unjustified to implicitly suggest that Pentax WiFi transfer speeds couldn't be improved significantly by a combination of different hardware choices and improved software.
I'm pretty sure it will be faster. I do think that for many Forumites it won't be terribly useful. Being able to get out of camera jpegs to your phone isn't something I want terribly.

Honestly, if I want something for quick upload, I grab a snap with my phone and then continue shooting with my camera. From a web size standpoint, there is much less difference than you would think, particularly if you aren't processing your images prior to uploading.

08-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Being able to get out of camera jpegs to your phone isn't something I want terribly.
I don't either.

However, it would be nice to be able to send high-resolution JPEGs to a PC or tablet in order to check critical sharpness.
08-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For ten dollars you can get an SD Card Reader for your apple devices... amazon.com: SD Card Reader for iPhone/iPad, TF & SD Card to iPhone Adapter with Dual Slot 3rd Gen, Trail Game Camera Memory Card Reader Viewer Compatible with iPhone/iPad, No App Required-White: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20& I don't personally have one (I did buy an older, pre-lightning jack version but I didn't really use it), but if you were doing a lot of file transferring from your camera to your iphone, it would certainly be a reasonable option and wouldn't take up much space at all in your camera bag.
I have a lightning card reader and use it for transferring images to an iPad while I’m traveling, then I have to time to process them if I want to, a create backup files. But I’d still rather use WiFi if I had the choice. I had a Sony a6000 and it’s WiFi transferred 24 mp raw file rather quickly, one of the few advantages the camera had over Pentax.
08-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Wi-Fi 802.11n can at least provide 72Mbps transfers - provided all other system parts can keep up. K1 DNG files are generally 40-50MB - so around 7 secs to transfer each RAW image. Theoretically 600Mbps could be achieved using 802.11n, so maybe 1 sec/image.

Using the latest, fastest Wi-Fi 802.11ac standard would restrict compatibility, as it is only available using 5GHz and thus is less widely supported. Using 802.11n on 2.4GHz gives universal access and few downsides.

If you had a lot of images to transfer, putting the card into a reader (or using USB cable) gets you 312MB/s... ...which is at least 4 times faster than the fastest real-world speeds you could possibly achieve using the very latest Wi-Fi. (Assuming the SD card could really work that fast)

USB C with PD, Wi-Fi 802.11n and Bluetooth 4 all sounds like a good progression from the K-1 and previous APS-C cameras. I'm looking forward to it!

08-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure it will be faster. I do think that for many Forumites it won't be terribly useful. Being able to get out of camera jpegs to your phone isn't something I want terribly.

Honestly, if I want something for quick upload, I grab a snap with my phone and then continue shooting with my camera. From a web size standpoint, there is much less difference than you would think, particularly if you aren't processing your images prior to uploading.
Except when your phone is incapable of taking the picture because of its limitations. A phone picture of a sporting event or a bird or a deer or just about anything 100m away or in bad lighting or requiring a fast shutter speed is going to be obviously worse than your DSLR even at 640x480.

If we eliminate all the features that aren't terribly useful to many Forumites we'll end up with a camera that isn't terribly appealing to most everyone.
08-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Except when your phone is incapable of taking the picture because of its limitations. A phone picture of a sporting event or a bird or a deer or just about anything 100m away or in bad lighting or requiring a fast shutter speed is going to be obviously worse than your DSLR even at 640x480.

If we eliminate all the features that aren't terribly useful to many Forumites we'll end up with a camera that isn't terribly appealing to most everyone.
Even stuff where phones "shine" (middle of the day, ~28mm shots) is noticeably (not drastically but at this point I could tell) prettier as a small JPG from a K-1, and that's best case scenario for phones
08-04-2020, 05:46 AM - 4 Likes   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's getting a bit long in the tooth. Nikon just upgraded their EN-EL15 battery to the "c" version, going from 1900 mAh (slightly over the D-Li90) to 2280 mAh - that's 20% more. Considering Pentax cameras are the DSLR equivalent of gas guzzlers I'd have hoped for an improved model...
I am not sure battery life is ever an issue with my Pentax cameras, but the ability to use the same battery on a K5, K1 or 645Z is tremendous. If the battery mAh can be improved WHILE being able to use the batteries interchangeably between cameras then great. If not, there is nothing wrong with the existing battery. If ain't broken, don't fix it.

08-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

My wife was intrigued one year by watching a squirrel gathering walnuts from a tree near her office window - but then realized it was not nearly close enough. Iphone has improved that situation lately, but it is a phone. They can improve how it deals with low light, and perhaps how it deals with speed, but they will always been limited unless they can figure out some way to provide interchangeable lenses.
08-04-2020, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

Assuming the LCD really is fixed, the real value of WiFi will be the ability to take photographs using a phone for the viewfinder .... but most of us seldom need that capability.
08-04-2020, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chessov Quote
I am not sure battery life is ever an issue with my Pentax cameras, but the ability to use the same battery on a K5, K1 or 645Z is tremendous. If the battery mAh can be improved WHILE being able to use the batteries interchangeably between cameras then great. If not, there is nothing wrong with the existing battery. If ain't broken, don't fix it.
Oh, I didn't make it clear. The idea would be to use higher capacity cells in the same D-Li90 envelope - that's how Canikon did in the examples I gave.

It may or may not have been motivated by wanting a K-1 battery to last a tad longer
08-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Oh, I didn't make it clear. The idea would be to use higher capacity cells in the same D-Li90 envelope - that's how Canikon did in the examples I gave.

It may or may not have been motivated by wanting a K-1 battery to last a tad longer
Yep. Juste like some NiMH AA batteries are rated for 1800mAh when others are for 2800mAh.
08-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My wife was intrigued one year by watching a squirrel gathering walnuts from a tree near her office window - but then realized it was not nearly close enough. Iphone has improved that situation lately, but it is a phone. They can improve how it deals with low light, and perhaps how it deals with speed, but they will always been limited unless they can figure out some way to provide interchangeable lenses.
I guess the new thing is to provide phones with multiple cameras/lenses at multiple focal lengths. When the camera/lens is a few millimeters across you could probably pack a half dozen on one phone.
08-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you cut your camera in half just to make a point?

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can guess-timate the space between the sensor and the back wall of the body from the sensor position mark painted on the body in the screen cap in this post.

R03010 = K-new was registered by FCC on 27 July 2020 - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

Compare with the space on the cut-away of a KP (with movable screen) and also the K-30 and K-5ii (with fixed screens). There appears to be very little space to put some sort of complex hidden mechanism. You can see on all the models there is only a few millimeters space between the main board and the back shell or LCD. There would not appear to be much difference in the space from the mark to the back of the new body vs previous bodies.

Pentax KP (black) battery grip cutaway 2017 CP+
Morio / CC BY-SA (Creative Commons ? Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported ? CC BY-SA 3.0)

K-30

K-5ii

K-5ii and K-30 cutaway photos from this article on PF
Pentax K-30 vs K-5 IIs Cross Sections - Photokina 2012 | PentaxForums.com
08-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Using the latest, fastest Wi-Fi 802.11ac standard would restrict compatibility, as it is only available using 5GHz and thus is less widely supported. Using 802.11n on 2.4GHz gives universal access and few downsides.
Actually Wi-Fi 6 is the latest standard. 802.11ac is also known as Wi-Fi 5. 6 does not guarantee faster individual device to device transfers, but permits the overall network to have improved throughput performance. Currently there are few Wi-Fi 6 capable devices, but they are coming, and I think that the hardware for Wi-Fi 5 would be coming down in price. I would be surprised if hardware for the standards prior to 802.11ac would even stay in production for much longer considering it is all now at least two generations old.
08-07-2020, 02:08 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
If you have a smartphone that doesn't support 802.11ac yet, you're probably much more in need of a new phone than a new camera
Closed Thread