Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 267 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So lets see, there were a bunch of optical engineers sitting around and chatting one day and one said, 'Hey lets design a nice large bright pentaprism and we can find something to put it in later'. 'Sound like a great Idea', said another engineer so they set about designing a nice big, bright pentaprism. Then one day one of the camera design team members walked up to the group and said, 'what are you guys up to over here'? When they told him what they were doing he said 'I've got the perfect place to use that nice big bright pentaprism we are designing a new flagship APS-C camera can we use that in our design'? Is that how it probably went??

Seriously though, I think the planning for the new camera was already underway and the pentaprism was part of it all.
Nah, it was more "hey you guys know how people enjoy using the OVFs on all of our cameras and like that we don't use cheapo pentamirrors in entry level models anymore?" "Yeah so?" "What if we make them even better?" "Cool, but sounds expensive! It can probably be debuted in a top-end camera to recoup R&D and early runs, then we can probably trickle it down or up to the FF once we sort it out". You have a component shared in basically all products of the brand with relatively little changes so the research can be put to good use in a bunch of different products, distributing costs. They had been studying the new pentaprism material for a while before 2017 anyway, so should we say the K-New started development earlier than the K-3ii?

08-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The entire line does not need to have a "flagship".
Did any Q-mount camera ever carry that label?
Well they might have called the top of the line for the Q the "Q-Ship" but that was probably shot down early on. It's pointless to sit and speculate all of this anyhow. Suffice it to say that the new APS-C will be the top of the line for the APS-C Fleet from Ricoh/Pentax. Frankly they can call it the APS-C Canoe for all I care.
08-12-2020, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They had been studying the new pentaprism material for a while before 2017 anyway, so should we say the K-New started development earlier than the K-3ii?
Since no one outside of the inner circle at Ricoh/Pentax actually knows when the K-New development was started, I think it is reasonable to say that sometimes during the latter stages of the K-3II production cycle they were possibly laying the plans for the top of the APS-C line sequel.
08-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It never was intended as a top of the line APS camera. The K-3 didn't get a replacement before now because it is now that they can make a camera sufficiently upgraded to make it worthwhile. Continuing marketing the K-3 would have kannibalised KP sales....
Wrong. The KP was obviously meant to be the top of the line APS-C camera, to be sold alongside the full-frame K-1. It was only the outrage from the Pentax faithful that forced Ricoh to make some bumbling statement about that not being the case.

How long has it been since the KP was introduced? We still don't have another APS-C camera from Pentax. That'll come later this year. The truth is, Pentax only started from scratch on an APS-C flagship after Pentaxians said they weren't satisfied with the KP.

I'm sorry... I don't mean to flame anyone. But if you think otherwise, you weren't paying attention.

08-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They said:
"Compactness and quickness are advantages of the APS-C format compared to full-frame. We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages.
A successor to the K-3 II is being researched.
"
I smashed my K-1, is being repaired, so I've been using the K-3 II more again. It's so much nicer to carry around and handle! The difference from the K-1 is huge. Unfortunately the difference in viewfinder experience is also huge... This makes me more and more convinced the K-new will be a great camera, so many good decisions (including fixed screen). Unfortunately I don't think I'll buy apsc again.The K-3 II will take that role until it dies.

Thing is I also find the K-5 noticeably better than the K-3 II. The size difference is really minute but it feels even more dense and solid. I must be size sensitive or it could be the more considered design. If the latter the K-new looks like an improvement on the K-3 II .
08-12-2020, 01:03 PM - 5 Likes   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Wrong. The KP was obviously meant to be the top of the line APS-C camera, to be sold alongside the full-frame K-1. It was only the outrage from the Pentax faithful that forced Ricoh to make some bumbling statement about that not being the case.

How long has it been since the KP was introduced? We still don't have another APS-C camera from Pentax. That'll come later this year. The truth is, Pentax only started from scratch on an APS-C flagship after Pentaxians said they weren't satisfied with the KP.

I'm sorry... I don't mean to flame anyone. But if you think otherwise, you weren't paying attention.
The truth is you are stating your opinion like it was fact. Do you have an inside track to the goings on at Ricoh/Pentax? I'll answer that, no you don't and none of us do. So whats the point in bashing Ricoh/Pentax with the "bumbling" remark?
08-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The truth is you are stating your opinion like it was fact. Do you have an inside track to the goings on at Ricoh/Pentax? I'll answer that, no you don't and none of us do. So whats the point in bashing Ricoh/Pentax with the "bumbling" remark?
As a matter of fact, I did at the time - with Ricoh U.S. And the statement from Ricoh at the time was bumbling - meant to save face.

08-12-2020, 01:30 PM - 5 Likes   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
As a matter of fact, I did at the time - with Ricoh U.S. And the statement from Ricoh at the time was bumbling - meant to save face.
Ricoh USA have no idea. They sell what they are given. The fact that the KP was the most expensive Pentax APS for sale a period doesn't mean it was intended as a flagship or top of the line. Pentax call it mid level and never called it flagship. The K-3 level of camera has been present since the K10, and made the backbone of the APS line-up and donor model for technology for MF and FF. There's not even a hint that Pentax have abandoned their APS strategy for a period only to reinstate it a bit later. The number of high-end APS lenses shows that Pentax sees it as top level system....
Pentax is moving their cameras upmarket. The KP is too close to comfort to the K3; the latter probably past is (main) selling date anyway. The new model simply isn't ready before now. This is almost certainly a conscious decision based on the level of technology going into the K-3 replacement in order to make it tempting upgrade for K-3 and KP owners, and not a product of whimsy; ie maybe we should make a k-3 segment camera after all?...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-12-2020 at 01:36 PM.
08-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The name for the new APS-C flagship: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
K-even number wins the vote. Maybe K-4, leaving K-2 for the future FF camera? K-4 would also fit in with 4K capable improved video.
08-12-2020, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
K-4 would also fit in with 4K capable improved video.
K-4k....Kall it that!
08-12-2020, 03:59 PM - 3 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-even number wins the vote. Maybe K-4, leaving K-2 for the future FF camera? K-4 would also fit in with 4K capable improved video.
(Almost) No camera manufacturer in Japan will ever produce a camera with the model name "4". 4 is considered an unlucky number in Japan. So much so that some buildings don't have 4th floors.
Correction: Nikon did a D4.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-12-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Correction
08-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No camera manufacturer in Japan will ever produce a camera with the model name "4". 4 is considered an unlucky number in Japan. So much so that some buildings don't have 4th floors.
Well then it's K-2 .
08-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #163
Veteran Member

No camera manufacturer in Japan will ever produce a camera with the model name "4". 4 is considered an unlucky number in Japan. So much so that some buildings don't have 4th floors.
That rule also applies anywhere they use a Chinese derivative word for the number Four as it sounds the same as Dead in Chinese, Japanese, and Sino-Korean numbers. So no 4th or 13th floors in any of these three countries.
08-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Wrong. But some brands do behave like you describe, some don't give a damn.

There's no K4 or any thing looking like it in Pentax land nor is there any Lumix LX4 bit Nikon D4 didn't bother Nikon obviously.
08-12-2020, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

Well then it's K-2 .
I'd reserve this one for FF if I was them.
Closed Thread