08-13-2020, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think simplicity always wins... to me it would be:
K-1 + Mk number is top tier FF
K-10 + Mk number could be lower tier FF
K-2 + Mk number could be top tier ASP-C
K-20 + Mk number could be lower tier ASP-C

I know K10D and K20D have already been here, but the distance on the market is sufficient to not confuse

Introducing any more letters and characters would only confuse outside users who already have weak understanding if any of the Pentax product structure

08-13-2020, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
I think simplicity always wins... to me it would be:
K-1 + Mk number is top tier FF
K-10 + Mk number could be lower tier FF
K-2 + Mk number could be top tier ASP-C
K-20 + Mk number could be lower tier ASP-C

I know K10D and K20D have already been here, but the distance on the market is sufficient to not confuse

Introducing any more letters and characters would only confuse outside users who already have weak understanding if any of the Pentax product structure
That would work too but beware, smart naming scheme is very anti-Pentax
08-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #183
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
About a dozen years would be sufficient while being all DSLR's ?? You can't be serious.
There are plenty of letters in the alphabet and digits still unused to avoid reusing a previous DSLR name.
08-13-2020, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think K-Y or K-Pop would be the top two options. Which they will choose is beyond me.

08-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
About a dozen years would be sufficient while being all DSLR's ?? You can't be serious.
There are plenty of letters in the alphabet and digits still unused to avoid reusing a previous DSLR name.
It wouldn't be re-using as such. K10D doesn't equal K-10
08-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #186
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
K + alphabet naming scheme is already reserved for something out of left field e.g. KP.
08-13-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
K + alphabet is already reserved for something out of left field e.g. KP.
Not "left field" at all.
My KP was much better than my K30 was when each was new.

And using some kind of alphabetic character would fit perfectly into what Pentax has done.
My first Pentax camera was an "ME" {actually an "ME/SE" where the "SE" indicated the version made with brown leather}.
The quality of the "Super Program" which followed it is why I checked to see if Pentax was still producing cameras when I became disenchanted with Canon in 2014.

08-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #188
Pentaxian

If asked (which is not the case) I would support KC, with C standing for the roman numeral C 100
08-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
If asked (which is not the case) I would support KC, with C standing for the roman numeral C 100
I think there is strong evidence that the name of the new ASP-C flagship is Pentax KV.
08-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #190
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I think there is strong evidence that the name of the new ASP-C flagship is Pentax KV.
Will it incorporate a mechanical clockwork knob for self-timer functions, like the SV ?

I would be retro-hyped as crazy !
08-13-2020, 04:05 PM - 3 Likes   #191

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That would work too but beware, smart naming scheme is very anti-Pentax
My logical "anti-Pentax" suggestion for K-New is KD1 with the "D" as in DA for APSC. The next major upgrade would be the KD2? Lower end models would get an extra digit ie KD10. The next FF K1ii major upgrade would be the KF1 ("F" as in DFA", lower model the KF10 and the subsequent model would then be the KF2? I think this would be easily understandable to camera consumers, it makes sense to me but, as noted above, Pentax model number sequences can surprise.
08-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Considering Kimio Tanaka tweeted a while (in November I think?) ago that he peeked at the name and "was disappointed" I think it's just K-2. We don't really have evidence of anything, though...
08-13-2020, 05:48 PM - 3 Likes   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Considering Kimio Tanaka tweeted a while (in November I think?) ago that he peeked at the name and "was disappointed" I think it's just K-2. We don't really have evidence of anything, though...
Yeah, the name is really going to "Make" the camera or break the camera as for its sales. Maybe he was disappointed that it wasn't named KT as in Kimio Tanaka!
08-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Twitter
08-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #195
Veteran Member

On Pentax Forum, we already done a pool for the new name, no need of DPR
What will the new flagship APS-C be called? - PentaxForums.com
Closed Thread