Financial Announcement | Global | Ricoh

Smart Vision:
THETA performed solidly in 360° camera market
Camera sales declining amid restrictions on movements and event cancellations

08-13-2020, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bet there will be quite a different result following the flagship APS-C release..
08-14-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2020Q1 YoY
-32.2%
-31.9% (excluding forex)

I'd like to believe that the camera segment does better but this would be in line with the rest of the brands

considering that the impact of leasing de-conosilidation makes up 4.2 of the 6.4 billion Yen slump somewhere in the remaining 2.2 billion is hidden the loss in camera sales

cleared from the de-consolidation impact, YoY is -22.11%

Last edited by davidsladek; 08-14-2020 at 12:42 AM.
08-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this good news, bad news or in line with expectations and neutral for the company?

08-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Is this good news, bad news or in line with expectations and neutral for the company?
I think it's guardedly neutral news given the pandemic recession effect.
08-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Any minus is bad news.

By comparison Sony camera revenue dropped by more than -50% for the quarter YoY (unit sales probably even worse).
Nikon camera revenue dropped by more than -60%.
08-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Not quite as bad as some of the competitors. Nevertheless not sustainable in the long run.

08-14-2020, 09:56 AM - 5 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Any minus is bad news.

By comparison Sony camera revenue dropped by more than -50% for the quarter YoY (unit sales probably even worse).
Nikon camera revenue dropped by more than -60%.
Given that there's a pandemic, and that almost all corporations are hemorrhaging money... and comparing with other players in the market...

I would say that is good news.

The typical Pentax strategy of being very careful with their pennies means innovation moves forward at a slower pace, but bad periods affects them less.

I've worked for a company with a similar philosophy. Sometimes you feel innovation is not as driven as it could be, but it also means less risks, less variability, fewer people loosing their jobs in difficult period, etc.
08-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What surprised me is how small the digital camera business is when considered in the totality of Ricoh. It's a part of the "other" that accounts for 8% of sales. I suspect digital camera sales (as we know them) only represent 2-3% at most, of Ricoh's total business. The Pentax brand is probably less than 1%.
08-14-2020, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
What surprised me is how small the digital camera business is when considered in the totality of Ricoh. It's a part of the "other" that accounts for 8% of sales. I suspect digital camera sales (as we know them) only represent 2-3% at most, of Ricoh's total business. The Pentax brand is probably less than 1%.
The last published revenue for Smart Vision (= Ricoh Imaging) was ¥18.3bn in FY2018 (April 2018 - March 2019), i.e. 0.9% of RIcoh's consolidated revenue in FY2018.
08-15-2020, 03:08 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it is particularly surprising news. We will see how revenue is for the imaging side after the K-new is released, but at this point, there have been minimal numbers of new bodies and lenses released recently. Gear sells really well for the first six months after release and then tapers off. I don't know that the K-new is going to set the world on fire, but certainly it should come out at a time when the economy is starting to trend upward a bit and will be the first new K mount camera for quite awhile. That combination should help the situation (or maybe I just have wishful thinking).
08-15-2020, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think it is particularly surprising news. We will see how revenue is for the imaging side after the K-new is released, but at this point, there have been minimal numbers of new bodies and lenses released recently. Gear sells really well for the first six months after release and then tapers off. I don't know that the K-new is going to set the world on fire, but certainly it should come out at a time when the economy is starting to trend upward a bit and will be the first new K mount camera for quite awhile. That combination should help the situation (or maybe I just have wishful thinking).
I'm not in the market for the K-New (I say as I pet the K-1 ), but the quarantine (and all the subsequent restrictions) has lowered my spending opportunities by a fair bit... so now I can justify a good wide angle lens that can be used for astro as well. If the D FA 21 is the ticket, then it's the ticket and I'm comfortable paying for a new one as soon as reviews are out.

I am very aware that, working in research, I'm in the privileged position of actually *improving* my finances lately, but I can imagine I'm not the only person who would be interested in getting some "post-COVID retail therapy" done with photography equipment...
08-15-2020, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

In photography I dunno but post-covid therapy, I will for sure

Lockdown did permit me to avoid some expenses but groceries price has come through the roof. No, no, noone taking advantage of the situation, hum...
08-15-2020, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since March 12 I’ve discovered a whole lot of things I can do without and not missed them at all. New gear is on the list.
08-16-2020, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Since March 12 I’ve discovered a whole lot of things I can do without and not missed them at all. New gear is on the list.
Typically the issue isn't what you can do without, it is what you want. After the release date of something and images from them come out and people start posting reviews about how much better the DFA *85 (for instance) is than the FA 77 that things get difficult.

I'm probably not going to get a K-new, but if Pentax would release a K-1 sequel the end of next year, I'm all in. Same for the DFA *85, DFA 21 limited, and DFA 70-300. I'll get by without them and could continue to do so for a long time, if needed, but they are definitely lenses that I am looking for.