Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR online panel discussion "Future of GR and Cameras" on Friday Aug/21/2020.

Not sure how many here are interested to attend, but Ricoh Imaging in Japan will host an online panel discussion titled "GRとカメラのこれから" ("Future of GR and Cameras" or "GR and the future of cameras", you can interpret it either way) on Friday Aug/21/2020, 20:30-22:00 JST (4:30AM-6:00AM Pacific, 13:30-15:00 CET on Friday). Four Japanese photographers in addition to Ricoh representatives will be there as panelists.
GR official | ??????????????

To attend via Zoom, you need to register by Aug/21 18:00 in JST (2AM Pacific, 11AM CET on Friday). They don't plan to publish the video, and people are asked NOT to record.
Registration form: Webinar Registration - Zoom

I won't go (I'm no GR user anyway, and the time won't work at all for me), but if you do, enjoy!

Last edited by kwb; 08-20-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: "how many are interested here" -> "how many here are interested to attend"
08-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything Ricoh/ Pentax does is of interest here........ I think you should know this...but I myself I may not watch, for many reasons.......I am waiting for the K-new and that will impact my future with Ricoh/Pentax........... I .hope they got it right!.......as a pre order will be coming if they have got it right.
08-22-2020, 12:20 AM - 5 Likes   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I attended and thought this was quite a good way of engaging with users.

The first part was each of the photographers introducing themselves and showing the kind of photography they do with their GRs.

Three of them have their profiles on the GR Blog site

?GRist?Vol.39 ??????? | GR official | ??????????????
?GRist?Vol.35 ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
?GRist?Vol.33 ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
I couldn’t find the last one

They also had Takashi Arai, one other person from the GR development staff and a moderator from Ricoh (I didn’t catch their names). The second part was them taking feedback and requests for firmware updates and functionality changes from the photographers and other attendees by the Zoom chat function. This was good and they were taking down notes carefully. It seems that they have not been able to release as many as they’d like, but they very much still intend to improve the GR III functionality through updates. It’s best to think in terms of changes and customizations to the controls, rather than major new functionality. The discussion of the camera functionality got quite detailed and geeky and took up a long time.

The last part was the photographers giving their thoughts about the future of cameras, with most of the discussion being about how cameras can coexist with smartphones.

There was no “news” as such, and very little mention of Pentax at all. In fact they did talk about the other systems they use. It seems there is a lot of overlap with GR users and Fuji X users. Also the Sigma fp was getting a lot of admiration from that crowd. Perhaps it’s the smallness and not EVF design that invites comparisons. In fact, one of the photographers was using a Sigma fp with an L-mount GR lens as has webcam. That’s a pretty exotic setup but seemed to be working very well.

I was encouraged to see that they are listening so carefully to users. I would say that if they do it again, there would be absolutely no point in attending unless you can understand Japanese.
08-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I attended and thought this was quite a good way of engaging with users.

The first part was each of the photographers introducing themselves and showing the kind of photography they do with their GRs.

Three of them have their profiles on the GR Blog site

?GRist?Vol.39 ??????? | GR official | ??????????????
?GRist?Vol.35 ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
?GRist?Vol.33 ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
I couldn’t find the last one

They also had Takashi Arai, one other person from the GR development staff and a moderator from Ricoh (I didn’t catch their names). The second part was them taking feedback and requests for firmware updates and functionality changes from the photographers and other attendees by the Zoom chat function. This was good and they were taking down notes carefully. It seems that they have not been able to release as many as they’d like, but they very much still intend to improve the GR III functionality through updates. It’s best to think in terms of changes and customizations to the controls, rather than major new functionality. The discussion of the camera functionality got quite detailed and geeky and took up a long time.

The last part was the photographers giving their thoughts about the future of cameras, with most of the discussion being about how cameras can coexist with smartphones.

There was no “news” as such, and very little mention of Pentax at all. In fact they did talk about the other systems they use. It seems there is a lot of overlap with GR users and Fuji X users. Also the Sigma fp was getting a lot of admiration from that crowd. Perhaps it’s the smallness and not EVF design that invites comparisons. In fact, one of the photographers was using a Sigma fp with an L-mount GR lens as has webcam. That’s a pretty exotic setup but seemed to be working very well.

I was encouraged to see that they are listening so carefully to users. I would say that if they do it again, there would be absolutely no point in attending unless you can understand Japanese.
Hey JPT thank you very much for your report, I was secretly hoping that you'd attend.
Seems like it was a good event, and it's great that they keep doing this kind of things (I think this was the second online event about GR, and there have been more in-person events).

What was the use case for webcam?

The fourth photographer 高橋直哉 (Naoya Takahashi) is probably this person who also uses GR and Fuji cameras:
????????????????Naoya Takahashi?note
GR????????????????Naoya Takahashi?note
Naoya Takahashi - Street Photographers Foundation

08-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

It was Shiozawa-san who was using the fp. He was using the fp as his webcam for the Zoom conference we were attending. Since he mentioned he was using a GR lens on it, I can only imagine he was using one of these with the relevant adapter. Actually, I'm not sure how to refer to this lens mount now. It is an old screw mount that I thought was referred to as L-mount, but it's not the same L-mount as is native to the Sigma fp. These things are rare and go for about JPY 100,000+ on the used market.

I don't know what he was using in terms of camera settings or software to use the webcam. He seems to like the fp and he said that if he were to get another camera, it would probably be another fp.

Incidentally, I know it's not easy because of the distance between mount and sensor, but now that Ricoh own Pentax, I wish they would make a "GR" branded 28mm f2.8 for K-mount, similar to the one pictured.

You are right about the fourth photographer. It was Naoya Takahashi.
08-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was Shiozawa-san who was using the fp. He was using the fp as his webcam for the Zoom conference we were attending. Since he mentioned he was using a GR lens on it, I can only imagine he was using one of these with the relevant adapter. Actually, I'm not sure how to refer to this lens mount now. It is an old screw mount that I thought was referred to as L-mount, but it's not the same L-mount as is native to the Sigma fp. These things are rare and go for about JPY 100,000+ on the used market.

I don't know what he was using in terms of camera settings or software to use the webcam. He seems to like the fp and he said that if he were to get another camera, it would probably be another fp.

Incidentally, I know it's not easy because of the distance between mount and sensor, but now that Ricoh own Pentax, I wish they would make a "GR" branded 28mm f2.8 for K-mount, similar to the one pictured.

You are right about the fourth photographer. It was Naoya Takahashi.
Ohhhhh this is a L39 screw mount. There is also a 21mm as well. Legendary. I forgot why it was but not well suited for Leica Digital M via adapter.
08-23-2020, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I initially misunderstood you JPT, I thought that somebody was using a webcam as a camera for photography purpose, not the other way round.

Wow that seems like a rare beast.

Like Fontan wrote it's L39 or LTM (Leica Thread Mount), but I think you're right that it was just referred to as L-mount back then, the scan of the original advertisement clearly show that Ricoh called it L-mount.

Camera Geekery: Ricoh GR Lens 28mm f2.8 L39 - Japan Camera Hunter
08-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it causes color shifting at the bottom of the frame with digital M but forgot why.

08-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
I initially misunderstood you JPT, I thought that somebody was using a webcam as a camera for photography purpose, not the other way round.

Like Fontan wrote it's L39 or LTM (Leica Thread Mount), but I think you're right that it was just referred to as L-mount back then, the scan of the original advertisement clearly show that Ricoh called it L-mount.

I should clarify that it's just my assumption that he was using that lens, because I can't see any other way he could have been using a GR lens on a Sigma fp. The image is just something I found online.

Thanks for the link to that article. I just so happens that those sample photos were taken near my home in the west of Tokyo.
09-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote

Thx for posting that article. Very interesting to me. In addition to my Pentax equipment I also have a Leica Rangefinder (screw mount).