Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2020, 12:23 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Patents possibly linked to the APS-C flagship

Hello, folks!
I was just doing some random surfing on the IPForce Japanese patent website and I've seen two new patents published. Sorry, in Japanese, but Google Translate does a decent job.

One is about a new type of pentaprism using high refraction glass. Sounds familiar?
I don't understand 10% of it, but it seems making a pentaprism is far from a trivial task! They're talking a lot about avoiding double images and other defects.
??6743398 | ???????IP Force?

The other is about a focusing system using a stacked sensor. I guess it would be more accurate with subjects of various colors. Interesting, but will we see it implemented?
??6740666 | ???????IP Force?

08-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks interesting.
08-20-2020, 01:59 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Oh dear, and a forum member recently wrote that it wasn't all that hard to come with a new camera, after all. You just have to put a new prism (which suddenly have new materials? Like if Pentax could do better than others huh) and a new af sensor.

Yeah, so obvious.

Thanks Alex.
08-20-2020, 02:12 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A new prism made form different materials is actually quite a challenge. The change in refractive index of the glass means the whole shape of the prism had to change too. Directing light is never easy when you have to pass it through a substance.

On top of that each wavelength bends a bit different so they do not all arrive in the same place. As on college professor put it. On one end of the visible spectrum you have the great big red firetruck. On the other end you have the little blue Volkswagen. Now you have to drive it through a sturdy brick wall. Which vehicle stands the best chance of making the straightest path through the wall if they are both going the same velocity?

08-20-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
maw
Pentaxian

If the translation is correct it would appear to be or formulated on the specifications of a Schmidt-Pechan

prism detailed specification below. info Schmidt-Pechan

I can't find English on the page, weird. But it's easy to google it.
08-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this, I wish I understood it better. It seems I remember some Pentax official stating that they wanted to be number one in autofocus. Now I can't wait for the next video.
08-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The laminated sensor focus system patent was submitted four years ago, so there would have been some work put into it prior to that. Perhaps we will see it in the new APS-C body.

08-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Figure that there have to be even bigger secrets that haven't been officially revealed. Can't help but hope there's a connection.
08-20-2020, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thanks for posting this, I wish I understood it better. It seems I remember some Pentax official stating that they wanted to be number one in autofocus. Now I can't wait for the next video.
I think they have been underplaying the AF improvements in the videos so far. This technology could leverage the benefits of having a dual sensor camera (OVF DSLR) as opposed to the mirror disabled PDAF alternatives :P.

Last edited by BROO; 08-20-2020 at 04:27 PM.
08-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #10

Could that stacked sensor be something similar to the Sigma Foveon Sensor??
08-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niklas Quote
Could that stacked sensor be something similar to the Sigma Foveon Sensor??
From what I understand it is a separate sensor than the imaging sensor.
08-20-2020, 07:05 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Forum Member

The focus patent appears to refer to a stacked sensor where one layer is for focusing and one layer for traditional image capture. Rather than having the "focus pixels" on the same layer as the imaging one. The challenges addressed by the patent include adjusting for the effects of both colour and lens performance on the focussing.

As always the patent leaves out enough detail to ensure some ambiguity remains. But if implemented ideally, it seems a good idea - phase detection autofocus performance with the mirror up ("live view"). This, and the improved pentaprism, shows there is plenty of (meaningful) innovation left in DSLRs.
08-20-2020, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
one layer is for focusing and one layer for traditional image capture
Piling this functionality into one chip seems a logical evolution of the existing 86k pixel RGB metering sensor that first appeared in the K-3. As it stands it is a separate chip from the focus assembly, but it assists SAFOX with subject recognition and tracking.
08-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
A new prism made form different materials is actually quite a challenge. The change in refractive index of the glass means the whole shape of the prism had to change too. Directing light is never easy when you have to pass it through a substance.
"Reflection" 'passes through' a prism?
I always thought it depended only on the angle of incidence.
08-21-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"Reflection" 'passes through' a prism?
I always thought it depended only on the angle of incidence.
Do not understand the reflection comment. In reflection the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. I am talking about refraction not reflection. When light enters a substance like glass it is refracted (bent). This is dependent upon the refractive index of the glass. Different wavelengths refract differently. Hence the pretty colors you get when "white" light passes through a prism. The

It is like looking at fish in a pond. The fish is not actually where you see it.