Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2020, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #91
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Then I realised that I've tried cockpit hud like mirrorless viewfinders
I don't like EVFs either.
I'd be hoping for a regular OVF, then maybe hit the Fx button and a histogram could popup, hit button again and it's gone.
Would hope the same would be for focus peaking too.

09-16-2020, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #92
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I don't like EVFs either.
I'd be hoping for a regular OVF, then maybe hit the Fx button and a histogram could popup, hit button again and it's gone.
Would hope the same would be for focus peaking too.
If an EVF has been implemented to the OVF, it will only work when the camera is in Live View. This would be one of the purpose of the IR presence sensor below the OVF. It will turn off the LCD screen of the camera. As the mirror is down and the photosensor unexposed, it's not possible to have an EVF outside of Live View mode.

In my opinion the new LCD display in the EVF will display the information such as speed; aperture; EV; ISO. It has been positioned in consequence of the new prism. But I am not sure because in the patent (if it's related to the new DSLR) talks about EVF and color display.

Last edited by bencoskater; 09-16-2020 at 12:29 PM.
09-16-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #93
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
If an EVF has been implemented to the OVF, it will only work when the camera is in Live View.
I guess if it were super quick for the EVF to popup in the OVF, then quickly go back to just OVF with a flick of a button, then I would still see value.

It would be much like using a 'depth of field' preview button.

You'd flick a switch, the mirror would flip outta the way, the OVF would display as an EVF showing a histogram (or focus peaking), flick off the switch, mirror pops back down, EVF disappers and you got your regular OVF again..

Would that be possible?
09-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Oh, so reading people talk in the last 2 pages, I see why Ricoh/Pentax are emphasizing so much on this 'dedication to ovf'-branding and how important it's for them. Interesting.

09-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #95
Pentaxian

If an EVF has been implemented to the OVF, it will only work when the camera is in Live View. This would be one of the purpose of the IR presence sensor below the OVF. It will turn off the LCD screen of the camera. As the mirror is down and the photosensor unexposed, it's not possible to have an EVF outside of Live View mode.

In my opinion the new LCD display in the EVF will display the information such as speed; aperture; EV; ISO. It has been positioned in consequence of the new prism. But I am not sure because in the patent (if it's related to the new DSLR) talks about EVF and color display.
If there is any kind of more advanced evf like overlay, even if it just displays what we already have but by different means, the eye sensor makes sense for saving battery by switching it off/on.

A overlay display needs way less resolution that a proper evf because it displays only overlay information. If the fabled RGB sensor matches the overlay display resolution at say 2MP you could display useful focus peaking, blown highlights etc. The data would then be fed from the RGB sensor to the overlay display. Never from the sensor itself. For some stuff you could usefully do this with both components having pretty low resolution. The current focus point display is a sort of super low res version of this achieved by slightly different means.

Edit: just realised the Fuji X-pro 1 camera is an example wonder what resolution the overlay is for that camera.
Edit 2: I guess the overlay display actually needs quite high resolution to show nice, small and clear typography etc. The data for peaking and exposure can come from a much lower resolution sensor.

Last edited by house; 09-16-2020 at 01:01 PM.
09-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #96
Forum Member

you're right @house. That implies a powerful processor besides a bigger buffer (RAM).
09-16-2020, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

I guess if it were super quick for the EVF to popup in the OVF, then quickly go back to just OVF with a flick of a button, then I would still see value.

It would be much like using a 'depth of field' preview button.

You'd flick a switch, the mirror would flip outta the way, the OVF would display as an EVF showing a histogram (or focus peaking), flick off the switch, mirror pops back down, EVF disappers and you got your regular OVF again..

Would that be possible?
Hm, thinking of this... sounds good! And there is the former Fn-wheel (formerly used to choose the setting to be changed with third wheel) that is now reduced to three positions: OVF, Liveview, Movie. Replace flick of a switch wit click of a wheel and we might be there.

09-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #98
Pentaxian

you're right @house. That implies a powerful processor besides a bigger buffer (RAM).
But the resolutions we might be talking about for the RGB sensor are still *extremely* low considering what's being done with proper EVF's. Complex scene analysis for AF can eat limitless amounts of cycles I'm sure but the processing for display of peaking and exposure from such as small sensor must surely be a piece of cake today.
09-16-2020, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But the resolutions we might be talking about for the RGB sensor are still *extremely* low considering what's being done with proper EVF's. Complex scene analysis for AF can eat limitless amounts of cycles I'm sure but the processing for display of peaking and exposure from such as small sensor must surely be a piece of cake today.
Focus peaking would be trickier because if it's not really fine outlines it gets messy very quick, but flashing the overexposed areas (roughly, of course) could be doable. From a software point of view, it would involve simply checking which pixels of the RGB sensor are saturated, right?

Heck, just give me an Auto-EV compensation option so I can shoot in (T)Av with automatic highlight protection. Adjust EV compensation until less than X% of the RGB sensor is clipped instead of 18% gray, so I don't have to worry about whether -1.7 is needed or overkill .
09-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #100
Forum Member

2M is not that big I agree but I don't know how powerful is the Prime processor. The actual sensor (k1) is only 86K, they can increase the amount of pixel. When I look it, only a small portion of the sensor is engraved (in red circle).

Attached Images

09-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Last few pages seem to have discussed at length the extra computing horsepower that might be in the new aps-c. Any chance that this horsepower could be used to do other things such as decent 4k footage?
09-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #102
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Last few pages seem to have discussed at length the extra computing horsepower that might be in the new aps-c. Any chance that this horsepower could be used to do other things such as decent 4k footage?
I personally wouldn't expect 4K.
Pentax has enough battles on many fronts and they've never really fought the video wars.
09-18-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I personally wouldn't expect 4K.
Pentax has enough battles on many fronts and they've never really fought the video wars.
If the sensor supports it (which it should), and the processor could cope with the workload (why not?)...
It's just offering a feature, not about fighting some war.
09-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #104
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's just offering a feature, not about fighting some war.
Ahk I should have said "I personally wouldn't expect 'decent' 4K".
As in, "good enough 4K to appease the critics".
09-18-2020, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #105
Forum Member

It could be supported by the new processor (new DSLR = new Processor, so more powerful from previous ones). We don't know if it will be implemented though.
The purpose of the thread is to talk about patents published and what are the goals to make assumption. Giving your opinion on a feature that we don't even know it will be delivered is fine as long as the thread won't derivate on another subject. Otherwise it will be a nightmare. :/

So we will see if there is 4K encoding or not.