Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #226
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
For me that's only smart marketing.
You need flippy screen => buy KP
You don't need flippy screen => buy K-2

Furthermore, use of the flippy screen is most of the time less demanding in terms of fps or number of AF points, because you shoot with Live-View either as street-photog or macro/landscape-photog.
You definitely don't use flippy screen for sports or BIF.
For me, it's only terrible marketing.
You need flippy screen? Buy another camera, which may be one offered by another brand.

Why do people pigeonhole all sports photographers? I'm a photojournalist who definitely does use a flippy screen when I shoot sports, and I want an articulating screen. Part of the reason I'll take my Sony instead of the K-3 to a game is because its flippy screen comes in handy so often. Similarly to the choice I make, the consumer looking to buy a camera will often choose the camera with more creative options.

At its root, the discussion about the flippy screen (or touch screen, joystick, pop-up flash, or anything else you want to substitute) isn't about the technology, it's about options.

08-25-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Yeah I would say that is a pretty good argument. But from what we have heard from Pentax - they are not really bragging about a huge improvement in AF or fps. If this new cam is for fast action, you would think they would touting that more than OVF that looks like FF. But yes I do see your point there.
Pentax has never bragged about anything and that that is a pity.
When Nikon Introduced D lenses: revolutionary 'cos they were giving distance info to the body. Well...
Pentax was doing the same early. They stuck with using it for flash tough. But lenses did report distance. They never said a word. Typical Pentax.
08-25-2020, 01:27 PM - 4 Likes   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm going to post one last time and then I'm out for a while from the forum. I'm saddened by the tone of the posts from many who say that they are saddened by the brand bashing. Stating how important a flippy screen or tilting screen is to you is not brand bashing - it's also clearly a feature in quite a few "flagship bodies INCLUDING the K1. The right way to respond to those who are upset about it is to either ignore them or state your thoughts about how to influence the future of Pentax bodies. The wrong way is to belittle and make small those who say they want such a feature. My other brand cameras all have flip or tilt screens - until I had one, I didn't see the reason for it. Now I have some regret that my K-3 does not and the KP - despite the lack of some features - is very appealing to me for this reason. However the Knew is also quite appealing and I'm sad that Pentax(Ricoh) has put me in this position when the addition of the screen would have solved this for me.

Read your own replies in the thread and ask yourself - did I treat that person with respect and dignity or did I make them feel small and stupid. If the latter is true - your the problem and I wish you would find a way to make your point without taking other people down a notch.
It isn't about: "not for me 'cos I need flippy".
It is about: Hell on earth 'cos they dare not to have a flippy and it won't sell and I won't buy it because it just not possible to have a flagship without flippy even though other brands do it". And this is the sort version.
08-25-2020, 02:44 PM - 4 Likes   #229

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It isn't about: "not for me 'cos I need flippy".
It is about: Hell on earth 'cos they dare not to have a flippy and it won't sell and I won't buy it because it just not possible to have a flagship without flippy even though other brands do it". And this is the sort version.
Not-For-Me-So-Not-For-Anyone.

08-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #230
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
You need flippy screen? Buy another camera, which may be one offered by another brand.

Why do people pigeonhole all sports photographers? I'm a photojournalist who definitely does use a flippy screen when I shoot sports, and I want an articulating screen. Part of the reason I'll take my Sony instead of the K-3 to a game is because its flippy screen comes in handy so often. Similarly to the choice I make, the consumer looking to buy a camera will often choose the camera with more creative options.

At its root, the discussion about the flippy screen (or touch screen, joystick, pop-up flash, or anything else you want to substitute) isn't about the technology, it's about options.
I have a Pentax KP, which does have a flippy screen, but I hardly ever use it.
08-25-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote

You are right, all Canikon monoblocs do have flippy screens

---------- Post added 25-08-20 at 14:53 ----------

And so did D500 and 7Ds
08-25-2020, 02:55 PM - 9 Likes   #232
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think part of my irritation with the constant carping about the lack of tilt screen is that is has been going on for eleven months. Eleven. And, whenever I say "eleven", I think of this:

There. I feel better now.
08-25-2020, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

I was tempted to simply delete your comments
In before the lock!!!!!!

I know, I'm not helping am I?

08-25-2020, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think part of my irritation with the constant carping about the lack of tilt screen is that is has been going on for eleven months. Eleven. And, whenever I say "eleven", I think of this:

Scottish Elevator - Voice Recognition - ELEVEN ! - YouTube

There. I feel better now.
“Our amps go up to eleven...”

We finally realized it was too much arguing about flippy screens that made the drummers explode...

-Eric
08-25-2020, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #235
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

whenever I say "eleven", I think of this:
Why did you do that? Whenever I read "THERE IS NO FLIPPY SCREEN!" I will think of that now.
08-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Underpromise and overdeliver?
For their sake I hope they did not over promise about the new OVF. That would be a bummer.

---------- Post added 08-26-20 at 08:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Pentax has never bragged about anything and that that is a pity.
When Nikon Introduced D lenses: revolutionary 'cos they were giving distance info to the body. Well...
Pentax was doing the same early. They stuck with using it for flash tough. But lenses did report distance. They never said a word. Typical Pentax.
ďBragĒ may not be the correct word buy they sure seem very high on the new OVF. I mean they made a video about it, literally. If AF is a HUGE improvement - that would be a news amongst us. I never thought that their OVF was ever sub par like their AF, although I gotta say itís not as bad as it has been reported.

---------- Post added 08-26-20 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I do remember the K-1ís novel screen mechanism coming in for some extended criticism at the time of its release. Like with the KPís size and appearance, the criticism over time morphed into acceptance and even praise, until itís become the standard by which some appear to judge subsequent screens. Cíest la vie (ďsaid the old folks: it goes to show you never can tellĒ - how appropriate is that old song to this discussion?)
I kinda sorta remember people talking smack about how itís gonna break and this and that. But it turned out to be very sturdy. I like it a lot, actually. Iím just surprised they seem to have chosen not to have the flippy. I really am.
08-25-2020, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #237
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your response. The only problem is, the lack of articulating screen has been talked to death for the last few months now. Wait 'til the machine is released and then the "It does not shoot 12k video" crowd will jump on too.
Fwiw.... every group of people sitting around a camp fire mostly talk drivel... but it is a thing people like doing.... even when they are not cold. May I kindly also suggest..... that this need to close threads based upon some judgement that nothing new is being added be reconsidered a bit.... assuming there is no nastyness.... let people just chat a bit....
08-25-2020, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #238
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't worry. I don't close thread unless they stray from the original topic too far.
There is of course nothing stopping some member of starting a thread specifically to discuss the lack of flippy screen on the K-new.
08-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a Pentax KP, which does have a flippy screen, but I hardly ever use it.
Same for me as I use 99% of the time the OVF. But I understand other need it
08-25-2020, 05:34 PM - 4 Likes   #240
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baba_yaga Quote
This will not help the community or the brand.
What helps neither the community nor the brand is the constant complaining - in the case about what is a relatively minor {for most of us} feature.