Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #346
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,106
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I guess this is their response to compact mirrorless cameras.
The KP was said to be “Pentax’s response to MILC”. ‘Mirrorless’ will be part of the competition from now on, so Pentax always he ‘responding’ to them - Pentax will always be keeping the size down ‘because of them’.

09-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #347
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,928

Three nights ago, Jays losing 3-2 bottom of the ninth, one one two out, two strikes, home run, Jays win 4-3. At this point the tilting back screen might be a little less likely. That being said, I'm still going to wait for the K-new to have it's final release before making a decision on what my next camera will be. At that point it will be K-P or hope for a possible tilting screen on the K-new II. That will depend entirely on the features of the K-new. The viewfinder I don't care about, it will be all about improvements in the speed of clearing the buffer, and the size of the buffer. and low light performance. A lot of my bird images are 800 ISO or above, which isn't always acceptable on a K-3. My K-3 still has 60,000 actuations on it's shutter, I can wait.

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 10:39 AM ----------

Oops, the fat lady is singing.
"Today, a large number of both mirrorless and SLR cameras feature an angle-adjustable LCD monitor with a vari-angle or tilt-type screen. For our new APS-C-format flagship model, currently in development, however, we decided to instead use a fixed-type LCD panel. Let me explain why we decided to do this."

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Three nights ago, Jays losing 3-2 bottom of the ninth, one one two out, two strikes, home run, Jays win 4-3. At this point the tilting back screen might be a little less likely. That being said, I'm still going to wait for the K-new to have it's final release before making a decision on what my next camera will be. At that point it will be K-P or hope for a possible tilting screen on the K-new II. That will depend entirely on the features of the K-new. The viewfinder I don't care about, it will be all about improvements in the speed of clearing the buffer, and the size of the buffer. and low light performance. A lot of my bird images are 800 ISO or above, which isn't always acceptable on a K-3. My K-3 still has 60,000 actuations on it's shutter, I can wait.

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 10:39 AM ----------

Oops, the fat lady is singing.
"Today, a large number of both mirrorless and SLR cameras feature an angle-adjustable LCD monitor with a vari-angle or tilt-type screen. For our new APS-C-format flagship model, currently in development, however, we decided to instead use a fixed-type LCD panel. Let me explain why we decided to do this."

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official
You can't always get what you want.
09-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #348
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,081
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What sounds smart to me would be a universal Ricoh Tethering App that allows for any Ricoh camera including cameras from Pentax to tether to smart devices that can run the app. So your Theta and your Knew and whatever else can all be used and controlled this way. I would rather have this than a tilty screen. And it would get all of Ricoh's app development to focus on fewer moving targets at the same time.
Im sure much of the code can be shared but I imagine the theta has very different features and GUI. The app risk getting bloated and complicated. Image sync already acts differently depending on the connected camera.
09-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #349
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,928
Can anyone guess, is the K-new shorter in height than the K-3?

I see the width, which is relatively unimportant, but the height, I'd like it to fit in some of my Pelican cases, The K-1 doesn't, the K-5 does.

09-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,835
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Can anyone guess, is the K-new shorter in height than the K-3?

I see the width, which is relatively unimportant, but the height, I'd like it to fit in some of my Pelican cases, The K-1 doesn't, the K-5 does.
R03010 = K-new was registered by FCC on 27 July 2020 - PentaxForums.com

From Mistral's post, 103.5 mm. That's 3.5 mm taller than the K-3. The K-1 is 110 mm tall, for reference.
09-04-2020, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #351
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 71
Wakashiro wrote, "This was a decision based on our goal of allowing the photographer to confirm the image’s quality and composition on a larger screen at the shooting location ... ."
How big is the LCD screen compared to previous models?

Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official
09-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,471
It looks like they do read threads and posts here.
09-04-2020, 11:30 PM   #353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,135
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
It looks like they do read threads and posts here.
I wouldn't go that far but it has the 'feel' of responding to concerns whereas the earlier ones were more 'this is how we think'. Anyway I think it's worth clicking the like button Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.3?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official just in case it encourages more.

09-05-2020, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #354
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
How big is the LCD screen compared to previous models?
KP: 3.0 inch (aspect ratio 3:2)
K-3: 3.0 inch (aspect ratio 3:2)
K-1: 3.2 inch (aspect ratio 3:2)
K-new: 3.2 inch

So not much difference.
09-05-2020, 12:58 AM   #355
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,081
I read the size comment as chosing a fixed screen to maintain a reasonable size for review. Not that the knew screen is larger.

It seems touch screens require additional black frame?

So touch, movable screen, joystick, compact body, good ergonomics and large enough screen was not all achievable. With the goals of the camera a fixed screen was already a suitable feature that enabled the other features.
09-05-2020, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #356
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,371
I guess Wakashiro-San is happy with HIS DREAM camera.

Me, and other are not for sure. 😊

To KP lol.
09-05-2020, 01:37 AM - 7 Likes   #357
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 150
I am happy with it, for sure. And I will buy it. Fortunately no one is forcing you to put your money down. Seems rather pointless to complain about how you don't want a camera. The camera is what it is. You can either buy it or refrain from buying it, and find something more suitable for you. Yelling at the camera for what it's not, is not magically going to transform it.

Last edited by Flubber; 09-05-2020 at 03:58 AM.
09-05-2020, 02:58 AM - 2 Likes   #358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,206
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I guess Wakashiro-San is happy with HIS DREAM camera.

Me, and other are not for sure. ��

To KP lol.
I think a lot of folks will be very happy with Wakashiro-San's dream camera. Some others, like your good self, won't (it's always the same way, with any camera). For them, the KP remains an excellent option. I believe the new camera will sell very well... but, as I said previously, you can't please all the people all of the time
09-05-2020, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,684
This sounds clear enough.
By main purpose :
K-1 : portrait and landscaping photography
K-2 : wildlife and sports intensive shooting photography
K-P : street, expert and walkaround trip photography
K-70 : V-log, selfies and allround general photography.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-05-2020 at 03:11 AM.
09-05-2020, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #360
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
seriously who care about a flipping screen (pun intended) if the cams got a screamer of a sensor, great VF and a AF system which can hold its own. I'd trade a movable screen for one "godlike AF" center point which never, ever misses and work from there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, blur, camera, care, distance, features, forum, future, image, k-1, k-3, lenses, noise, options, ovf, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, pm, post, product, screen, snippet from pentax, sports, time, viewfinders, word
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax mosaics on old HQ building JPT General Photography 12 01-02-2019 07:12 PM
Pentax/Ricoh HQ in Colorado, New Jersey, now Georgia? dcpropilot Pentax News and Rumors 20 08-05-2017 03:05 AM
Pentax K-5 IIs or Pentax K-5 II and put the $200 saving towards HQ Glass? kraigg007 Pentax K-5 28 12-08-2013 09:34 AM
WPA Mural and Pentax HQ Mark Castleman Post Your Photos! 2 06-15-2007 04:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top