Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 605 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2020, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You can judge just how bad the DA 70 is on the K-1 from this album.
Nice response!

09-06-2020, 06:55 AM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Perhaps he meant it gets bad outside of the APS-C frame? Something I've observed myself (not very bad, but noticeable).
That, of course, is something the lens was never meant to do.
Lets hope so.....
09-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what Adam said about the DA70 on the K-1:

"DA 70mm: Corners dim and soft wide open, bright and somewhat soft at f/5.6, bright and sharp at f/11"
09-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #394
Veteran Member

Both DA70 versions looks OK in the K-1 Laboratory:
PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | smc-pentax-da-70mm| RICOH IMAGING
PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | hd-pentax-da-70mm | RICOH IMAGING

Some vignette wide-open with the sky scenes, but sharpness doesn't seem an issue.

09-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Both DA70 versions looks OK in the K-1 Laboratory:
PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | smc-pentax-da-70mm| RICOH IMAGING
PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | hd-pentax-da-70mm | RICOH IMAGING

Some vignette wide-open with the sky scenes, but sharpness doesn't seem an issue.
Those images are low-res, though, and even then I can see some softness at the edges.
09-06-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #396
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yeah, it's obviously quite bad, judging by these images.
The pentaxforums da lenses on full frame gives it a C C A mark Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
I've found that article to be accurate and fair when comparing to my own tests of various lenses. There is a tendency by users on pentaxforums to rate lenses and cameras higher than they should be. The same goes for ff coverage.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fakepentaxforumuser:
It's a great lens on FF. Just shoot at 18-22mm and aperture ranges between f5.6 and f9 at the lower end and f4-f7 zoomed out. You'll have vignetting and blurry edges but that's fine as everyone has their subject in the center of the frame anyways and you barely see it at 640x480px on the web.

The DA70 f2.4 is perhaps my favourite lens on apsc! Gives very nice dignified images. I no longer use it on FF because it's to limited not worth the hassle, better use the aspc camera then. I trusted various comments about da ff compatibility but found out the hard way that with very few exceptions you're throwing away any FF advantage using da lenses. If your planning on using DA you are much better off sticking to apsc cameras.
09-06-2020, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #397

I think we all rate things that are dear to our hearts a little higher than may be warranted by cold, hard facts. The same goes for loyal customers of all the other brands.

09-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The DA70 f2.4 is perhaps my favourite lens on apsc! Gives very nice dignified images. I no longer use it on FF because it's to limited not worth the hassle, better use the aspc camera then. I trusted various comments about da ff compatibility but found out the hard way that with very few exceptions you're throwing away any FF advantage using da lenses. If your planning on using DA you are much better off sticking to apsc cameras.
This whole thread other than the hijacking is about an up coming APS-C camera not DA lens on a K-1/K-1ii.
09-06-2020, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If your planning on using DA you are much better off sticking to apsc cameras.
And since this thread is primarily about the new "K-3ii replacement", I know exactly what camera the lens should be used on.
09-24-2020, 10:11 PM   #400
Pentaxian

New snippet on the Japanese website. Haven't seen an english version on their english page yet.
New APS-C?????? ?4????? | PENTAX official
09-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
New snippet on the Japanese website. Haven't seen an english version on their english page yet.
It's all about the grip and how comfortably the fingers can operate the controls.

Specifically (Google translate): "The joystick provided on the back is a focusing point lever, but the shape of the surface that the thumb touches is devised.
It is necessary to make sure that it is caught firmly so that it does not slip when operating with the thumb, but considering only the goodness of the finger grip, there is a problem that the protrusion gets stuck in the finger and feels pain. Therefore, the shape is changed between the central protrusion and the peripheral protrusions to achieve both good finger grip and comfortable use without feeling any pain."
09-24-2020, 10:21 PM - 3 Likes   #402
Veteran Member

I see some newly(?) illuminated buttons on display on the back of the camera.
09-24-2020, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #403
Veteran Member

Here it is: Product Stories of New APS-C Vol.4?Wakashiro? | PENTAX official

Someone noticed the S.Fn button on the top deck?
09-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #404

The joystick looks interesting.
Easy moving the focus-point with your thumb while watching throug the viewfinder?
09-25-2020, 01:00 AM   #405
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -Linus- Quote
Easy moving the focus-point with your thumb while watching through the viewfinder?
I think that's the idea. Several Nikon/Canon/Sony/Fuji cameras offer similar AF joy-sticks.