Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 11:59 AM - 3 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
We're going to the bottom of the ninth with the flippy screen down seven runs. But anything can happen.

---------- Post added 08-22-20 at 01:32 PM ----------

Labeling people who want better tracking autofocus noisy whiners isn't going to get you your flippy screen.
I think I hear the fat lady tuning up right now......no wait its the flippy screen whiners! What I see here are a bunch of folks who have a K-1 whining about an APS-C camera not having a flippy screen. I have been waiting 6 years for a camera like Ricoh/Pentax is bringing out and I can't wait, flippy screen or not. I like the APS-C format and the KP didn't thrill me with its form factor even though it has some awesome features it just wasn't a camera I wanted to buy. Plenty of Pentaxians will buy the K-New and will be proud of it, I know I will.

Oh and this one will be an APS-C camera that I can recommend to my legions of Flickr followers, like they care!

08-22-2020, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I think I hear the fat lady tuning up right now......no wait its the flippy screen whiners! What I see here are a bunch of folks who have a K-1 whining about an APS-C camera not having a flippy screen. I have been waiting 6 years for a camera like Ricoh/Pentax is bringing out and I can't wait, flippy screen or not. I like the APS-C format and the KP didn't thrill me with its form factor even though it has some awesome features it just wasn't a camera I wanted to buy. Plenty of Pentaxians will buy the K-New and will be proud of it, I know I will.

Oh and this one will be an APS-C camera that I can recommend to my legions of Flickr followers, like they care!
I’m with you on the waiting, personally why not just make an app that lets you use your phone to see and control the camera eliminates the need for a flippy screen. I do it with my GoPro to check angle and start and stop recording...

JJ
08-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
why not just make an app that lets you use your phone to see and control the camera eliminates the need for a flippy screen.
Exactly!

A $15 smartphone holder/bracket could be mounted on the flash mount, and would provide sufficient rotation for various shooting situations. The app would also allow remote control of the camera, which would be useful in some settings. I like this modular approach better than an integrated 'flippy' screen.

I believe that the current Ricoh Imaging app does a fair job with the newer cameras (my K-3 II is not supported).

- Craig
08-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Exactly!

A $15 smartphone holder/bracket could be mounted on the flash mount, and would provide sufficient rotation for various shooting situations. The app would also allow remote control of the camera, which would be useful in some settings. I like this modular approach better than an integrated 'flippy' screen.

I believe that the current Ricoh Imaging app does a fair job with the newer cameras (my K-3 II is not supported).

- Craig
And wait for it....Maybe even allow a hardwired connection for import so not only are you getting the Dual card benefit but my phone has a ton of free space....

08-22-2020, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
And wait for it....Maybe even allow a hardwired connection for import so not only are you getting the Dual card benefit but my phone has a ton of free space....
In many respects I would prefer that to wifi, something I always seem to have difficulty getting to work reliably.

Here's a thought: An Arca Swiss style tripod plate with a cell phone holder attached to it.
08-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In many respects I would prefer that to wifi, something I always seem to have difficulty getting to work reliably.

Here's a thought: An Arca Swiss style tripod plate with a cell phone holder attached to it.
Now that’s just crazy talk 😂😂😂
08-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

That interfaces with the pins used by the extra grip, and with ports... power, micro USB, and Lightning...
It could then also directly support external drives as well as cards and stuff like that...

-Eric

08-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote

There are some advantages of an APS-C versus FF (tele and DOF) that make me looking for a high resolution replacement of my K-5 for use besides my K-1. Moreover, I own several lenses suitable only for Pentax APS-C. The K-70 and KP would be good candidates as both have a movable LCD panel. However, as an natural reaction to the announcements by Ricoh I keep waiting to see what the K-new will look like and how much it will cost. Should it not have a tilted or fully articulated screen it will be of no value for a major part of my camera usage. Cluttering to focus with a mobile phone fixed on top of the camera doesn't look very attractive to me.
Should the new flagship not have a movable LCD it will have a unique (but not enviable) position amidst all mid-range and top DSLR and mirrorless camera's on the market.
08-22-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henk T Quote
Should it not have a tilted or fully articulated screen it will be of no value for a major part of my camera usage. Cluttering to focus with a mobile phone fixed on top of the camera doesn't look very attractive to me.
Fair enough. For my purposes, I'd be quite happy with a fixed rear screen and a mountable phone screen for the infrequent times that I'd need it.

Should the new flagship not have a movable LCD it will have a unique (but not enviable) position amidst all mid-range and top DSLR and mirrorless camera's on the market.
It will be interesting to hear what the designers say about their design choices. Certainly, they're aware of the other brands/models.

- Craig
08-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #115
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nobody has commented on the socket just at the bottom edge of the (removable) LCD surround. Is this for tethering?
08-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not "unique"... Nikon's top-tier APS-C DSLR, the D500, also lacks a movable LCD screen, as does their premium sports/action DSLR, the D6. Canon's top sports/action DSLR, the 1DX MkIII has a fixed LCD, too.

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-22-2020 at 03:54 PM.
08-22-2020, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not "unique"... Nikon's top-tier APS-C DSLR, the D500, also lacks a movable LCD screen, as does their premium sports/action DSLR, the D6. Canon's top sports/action DSLR, the 1DX MkIII has a fixed LCD, too.

About the D6/1DXiii, those are completely different beasts I'd argue.

The better example would be Canon's 5D series which still has a fixed screen (okay, the Mk4 is getting older but that's what it is).
Oly has a tilt screen on their dual-grip brick, in contrast with Canikon. It might have to do with the fact that the E-M1X with a long lens is still fairly small and light while the Canikons need a sherpa with a 400mm lens attached

Last edited by Serkevan; 08-22-2020 at 03:55 PM.
08-22-2020, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

About the D6/1DXiii, those are completely different beasts I'd argue.
Oops, you're right, folks were complaining the D500 didn't have an articulating LCD, not that it was fixed.
08-22-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oops, you're right, folks were complaining the D500 didn't have an articulating LCD, not that it was fixed.
IMO the up/down tilt screen is the one that's easiest to be constructed in a rugged way while being useful - the articulating one would give more video/selfie flexibility but it's a more delicate construction (and you need to flip the screen out completely for low/high angle shots, which is a pain if you have the camera in front of you).
08-22-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nobody has commented on the socket just at the bottom edge of the (removable) LCD surround. Is this for tethering?
Is this another imaginary thing?