Show Printable Version 605 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #121
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Is this another imaginary thing?
Nope. There is a socket there (K-new top, K-3ii bottom). Or is this another optical illusion?.

08-22-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's nothing there.
08-22-2020, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #123
Pentaxian

As thibs said, there's no such "socket". And I can precisely identify every element visible in that picture (which is quite easy actually).
08-22-2020, 04:27 PM - 10 Likes   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
There is a socket there
You've got to stop licking Cane Toads.

Attached Images

08-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
IMO the up/down tilt screen is the one that's easiest to be constructed in a rugged way while being useful - the articulating one would give more video/selfie flexibility but it's a more delicate construction (and you need to flip the screen out completely for low/high angle shots, which is a pain if you have the camera in front of you).
There's always the amazing lunar lander screen on the K-1... but I guess that wouldn't meet the K-New's design and price goals

As much as I would like the K-New to have a movable LCD screen - I used that feature on my K-70 just 2 days ago to photograph flowers that were over my head - if I had to choose between such a screen and a larger & brighter OVF, I'd go for the OVF every time.

I'm not the target customer for the K-New, anyway, as it will likely cost triple what I've ever spent on a single piece of gear.
08-22-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I'll likely get one of these whizbang bodies for walk around and my once or twice a year airshow action photos- basically all handheld shots. But for me macro and astro I want a movable screen, as I'm done at this point with kneeling in wet grass or contorting my spine to see the VF or LV, and too lazy to set up a remote screen- so I'll keep one KP for that kind of shot. If it projected a hologram directly into the visual cortex, now that would be cool.
There’s a friend of mine who goes to the Reno air races every year. He typically rents a Nikon 7x00 and the 80-400.
I hope lensrentals or someone like that will rent this one. It sounds like an ideal air show camera...

-Eric
08-22-2020, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #127
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
You've got to stop licking Cane Toads.
But I like them. Still, now I see what you mean about a reflection (and thank you for your politeness). I must stop "stirring the possum".

08-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet there I’ll be a kick ass tethering to iPhone so that it can work like a detachable screen.
08-23-2020, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My style of logic says this:

Ricoh are majoring on the viewfinder experience - a more recessed screen means greater eye-point relief or whatever for the viewfinder, so they've not just made it non-flippy, but recessed it further.

Low angle nature shooting is best done with a tripod, or lying on the ground and using the viewfinder. If you're using a tripd then you can use a phone app. Action shooting is done with the viewfinder.

So, the camera is no more a camera for every purpose than any other camera on the market. It's oriented towards action uses where you are more likely to look through the viewfider and gives an improved viewfinder experience - the KP covers most of the other bases in the APS-C domain.
08-23-2020, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #130
Pentaxian

Geees, sometimes I really wonder whether I learn about photography here or philosophy ^_^ (posted earlier in a wrong thread)
08-23-2020, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

Surely the engineering logic in place is along the lines of 'the OVF is so amazing why would anyone consider using the LCD screen to compose'. At least that's
the impression I'm getting from the last couple press releases.

Echoing ffking above, it is very likely this camera is targeted at 'serious' action shooters, running around fast and furious with the camera pressed hard
against their face. For those photographers, the VF is everything. A flippy screen is like adding power locks to a roadster: convenient but not essential.

We'll see, eventually.......
08-23-2020, 07:32 AM - 4 Likes   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I didn’t read this long thread, but did anyone discuss if it has a flippy screen?

Sarcasm....off.
08-23-2020, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Sorry, I didn’t read this long thread, but did anyone discuss if it has a flippy screen?

Sarcasm....off.
I see what you did there....

JJ
08-23-2020, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #134
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
At this point, Pentax may as well name the new camera the K Trompe-l'oeil...
You got my giggles going!

Steve
08-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
it is very likely this camera is targeted at 'serious' action shooters, running around fast and furious with the camera pressed hard
against their face. For those photographers, the VF is everything.
Action (eg sports) shooters have never been a Pentax target clientele. I doubt this has changed with the K-new.

For it to change, a few modern sports camera basics like faster fps, huge buffer and MUCH better AF (control, tracking, points, face detection, eye AF) all need to be in the K-new. So far, there's little sign of that from the leaks or stories.