Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 605 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I’m assuming it’s quite an asset
It certainly can be. It's not a total deal-breaker for me in a camera, but it's certainly extra useful.

I don't care if my mobile phone or GoPro don't have a flippy screen, but it's something I've come to appreciate in the K-1 and other cameras.

08-21-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That "notch" tricked my eye too! It's just a reflection of the eyecup after all.

I am about 99% convinced this is not the case, but if it were an articulating screen, it would have to be a repeat of the design of the K1, as in hingeless. That would require some serious engineering to fit in the body with the screen flush as the photos show. And would require the screen to release straight out to be articulated. It's probably just a touch screen like others have suggested, but no harm in imagining

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Probably true.

Notably, in these photos, there seems to be no visible hinges anywhere (left, right, bottom, top) to support a flippy screen. But the screen does seem a bit wider and deeper than the K-3 screen, and that new notch in the bottom centre of the LCD must fulfill some purpose. It could just be some room for the Pentax logo, or something more technical.

Interestingly, from the EXIF, these K-new/K-3 product photos were taken by a K-1 II on December 03, 2019. So about 9 months ago ... A lot could change between 2019 and a late 2020 release date.
08-21-2020, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That "new notch" is not a notch, it is the reflection of the eye piece on the LCD screen.

Frogdog just beat me to it.
08-21-2020, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
That "new notch" is not a notch, it is the reflection of the eye piece on the LCD screen.
Quite possible The 'notch' has a similar profile to the eyecup.

But the apparent 'notch' sits below the LCD screen edge, so would have to be reflecting off the side of the LCD display mount/bump, not off the top of the LCD screen, which we can't see.

08-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maaaaate, sorry, but your eyes are deceiving your brain. Have a good look, the camera is not in profile it has a slight upwards slant from bottom to top. You can see the back (top) of the screen.

Last edited by Sqideyes; 08-21-2020 at 07:49 PM.
08-21-2020, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Maaaaate, sorry, but your eyes are deceiving your brain.
Wouldn't be the first time.

The angle of the shot (and the shallow DOF) does kind of distort the perspective on the rear LCD, and make it look like it's bulging out, instead of being a flat interior panel between the two curved right-hand corners of the rear screen.

So maybe no bottom 'notch' after all.

But there is a left-side notch [ ? ] visible on the left-hand back of the camera too. Could just be the edge of a port cover, but it would be nice if there was something more interesting there
08-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll likely get one of these whizbang bodies for walk around and my once or twice a year airshow action photos- basically all handheld shots. But for me macro and astro I want a movable screen, as I'm done at this point with kneeling in wet grass or contorting my spine to see the VF or LV, and too lazy to set up a remote screen- so I'll keep one KP for that kind of shot. If it projected a hologram directly into the visual cortex, now that would be cool.

08-21-2020, 09:25 PM - 4 Likes   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this point, Pentax may as well name the new camera the K Trompe-l'oeil...
08-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All this concentration on the viewfinder makes me wonder if the camera has any other innovations to offer. Has the autofocus been improved? What video modes does it have? How many megapixels (not that that is terribly important)? Dynamic range? Connectivity? I must say, seeing what sparse information is coming from Ricoh so far, that I am a bit underwhelmed, and fear that I may be disappointed by the camera when we know its full specifications. I hope I'm wrong: I want a reason to buy this camera over and above what my K-3 II and K-1 already give me.

P.S. I think if the new camera has a tilting screen, we would know by now.
08-21-2020, 11:24 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But there is a left-side notch [ ? ] visible on the left-hand back of the camera too. Could just be the edge of a port cover, but it would be nice if there was something more interesting there
Just the door on left side of the body.
08-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #86

The article may imply that the only purpose of the eye sensor (a.k.a. "new? automated eye sensor technology") is to turn off the LCD for viewfinder visibility. Seriously? To quote Mr. Collins: I Cannot Believe It's True (and no, I'm not a fixed-screen skeptic).

If there is a touchscreen, why keep a touchscreen so close to the chest? It's not a pioneering feature in 2020. I don't understand this excruciatingly slow bleed of information, but that doesn't make it wrong, just curious. Is this just Ricoh's modus operandi or do they think they are being exceedingly clever and sly? Forgive me, but I am finding it increasingly annoying.

The new OVF sounds quite innovative, no question. But two articles, three videos, three months, a fixed screen, 3mm extra spacing for your nose, and a "new" automated eye sensor later, it's becoming a bit comical to me. At this rate we'll see a new camera in another year or two.

The OP nailed it when they said "snippet". Death by a thousand snippets...
08-22-2020, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #87
Pentaxian

So maybe no bottom 'notch' after all.

Sigh.... nope, no left-side notch either, that's just the ports cover.
Come on, guys! Did you completely forgot how a camera looks like???
08-22-2020, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Come on, guys! Did you completely forgot how a camera looks like???
Just trying to find a reason to be interested in this camera, I guess.

It's been a difficult task so far.
08-22-2020, 02:31 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Folks, why don't we wait for the production camera to reach the market? I do hope that would be enough to quench speculations...
R U Serious?
08-22-2020, 02:34 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Just trying to find a reason to be interested in this camera, I guess.

It's been a difficult task so far.
There are plenty of reasons to be interested in this camera, even though we don't know most of them.
If the articulated screen would be THE reason for you, while performance would be pretty much irrelevant, you'd have a KP.