Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 605 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2020, 04:42 PM - 4 Likes   #181
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Henk T Quote
To make it clear: if I buy a new Pentax APS-C to replace the aging K-5 I would like it to be their state of the art on AF and resolution, therefore I prefer a novel flagship. Video is for me of no real interest. But a fixed screen is definitely for me a no-go for my use. I don't expect that I am unique in my requirements.
The K-new is therefore not for you.

08-24-2020, 05:11 PM - 4 Likes   #182

To make it clear: if I buy a new Pentax APS-C to replace the aging K-5 I would like it to be their state of the art on AF and resolution, therefore I prefer a novel flagship. Video is for me of no real interest. But a fixed screen is definitely for me a no-go for my use. I don't expect that I am unique in my requirements.
I don't understand. The K-5 has a fixed screen. If a fixed screen is a no-go why haven't you replaced the K-5 years ago? Why did you buy a fixed screen body in the first place?
08-24-2020, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #183
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Henk

I too have and still use a K5 11 has yours now become unusable ?
The flippy screen is newer than the K 5 true.
The K new will probably exceed the K5 in many ways regardless of the type of screen fitted.
Yes I will probably buy it.
I guess I don't know what I am missing.or care.

Dave
08-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I wonder if the Ricoh design team reads this thread over their lunch breaks just for laughs.
They do,theres 2 on the team.One guy does the cameras,the other does the lenses.In their lunch hours.

In normal time,the camera guy does the accounting and the lens guy cleans the office and factory!

08-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They do,theres 2 on the team.One guy does the cameras,the other does the lenses.In their lunch hours.

In normal time,the camera guy does the accounting and the lens guy cleans the office and factory!
And they produce some damn fine cameras and lens too!!!
08-24-2020, 07:53 PM - 4 Likes   #186
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Am I alone in being saddened by the ever creeping sarcastic, snide and inevitable downward spiral of these threads? There's really no need to make fun of members because their photography needs are different. Diversity should be welcomed, not made fun of. It's a sure way to drive away members. Thanks.
No, you are not alone. My impression is very much the same. What I find particularly out of place is the dismissive, in some of the comments outright belittling tone of the "moderators", who seem to take it upon themselves to gang up and talk down an ususpecting newcomer who just happened to express an opinion. This will not help the community or the brand.
08-24-2020, 08:10 PM - 3 Likes   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't understand. The K-5 has a fixed screen. If a fixed screen is a no-go why haven't you replaced the K-5 years ago? Why did you buy a fixed screen body in the first place?
I owned fixed-screen bodies for years, and as my photography evolved I found a use for a moveable LCD, subsequently buying a K-S2 and then a K-70. Sometimes that happens. If the photographic needs of users never changed, companies wouldn't have to release new products.

As far as replacing an older body like a K-5 with a newer one with more features, well, not everyone is flush with cash to do such things. Or there are aspects of one's current camera that are pleasing enough to stay with it until it breaks, or you just can't hold out any longer.

I realize it can be tiresome to read complaints about a specific issue over and over again - I get exasperated by it, too. However, there is always hope that such feedback can influence product development.

08-24-2020, 08:33 PM - 4 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just find it weird that the FF flagship of Pentax has an articulated screen but K-new the APS-C “flagship” does not appear to. It was at least at one time a philosophy that Ricoh prescribed to but for some reasons abandoned for this camera. I guess they really want you to peak into that OVF.

I also find it weird that those want the moveable screen get crucified. I don’t remember forum members crucifying K-1 for having it. Is K-1 a superb camera despite having an articulated screen?

I suppose this is really about OVF vs Live view, latter being blasphemy. The most ironic is that the end products the pictures will not be able to tell you if one used OVF or LV/EVF.

I just find it silly.
08-24-2020, 08:34 PM - 9 Likes   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baba_yaga Quote
No, you are not alone. My impression is very much the same. What I find particularly out of place is the dismissive, in some of the comments outright belittling tone of the "moderators", who seem to take it upon themselves to gang up and talk down an ususpecting newcomer who just happened to express an opinion. This will not help the community or the brand.
I whole heartedly disagree. This discussion regarding the flippy screen is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine, as Ricoh/Pentax has decided what the design will be and they have their reasons. What I don't understand is why we aren't all waiting with excited anticipation of a revolutionary new Pentax DSLR but here some people are complaining about how they wanted an articulated screen and how camera buyers were going to reject the new camera. Its hard for me to understand their mind set. But they have to declare to the world how they aren't going to buy this new camera from Ricoh/Pentax, they are not going to change what will be released in the next few months so why all of the complaining. This kind of retoric and attitude is counter productive. Constantly carping about what Ricoh/Pentax didn't do will definitely not help the community or the brand.
08-24-2020, 08:50 PM - 12 Likes   #190
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baba_yaga Quote
As a member of a forum devoted to the Pentax brand, I get a little tired of people who come here to say how they won't buy something that they have not seen the specifications of yet. The constant brand bashing and negativity of some members make me wonder if they really want new Pentax cameras or if they're just trolling the rest of us who wait in anticipation of the new product.

I was tempted to simply delete your comments but as others have already commented I'll let them stand. I am, however, of mind that this thread is coming close to it's end as it has become yet another negativity fest as is the norm with so many news and rumours threads.

I find it pretty sad that those of us who view these threads with the genuine desire to learn something new about a product yet to be released have to constantly bite our tongue and not "offend" others that seem to be intent on continued brand negativity.
08-24-2020, 09:34 PM - 2 Likes   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I whole heartedly disagree. This discussion regarding the flippy screen is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine, as Ricoh/Pentax has decided what the design will be and they have their reasons. What I don't understand is why we aren't all waiting with excited anticipation of a revolutionary new Pentax DSLR but here some people are complaining about how they wanted an articulated screen and how camera buyers were going to reject the new camera. Its hard for me to understand their mind set. But they have to declare to the world how they aren't going to buy this new camera from Ricoh/Pentax, they are not going to change what will be released in the next few months so why all of the complaining. This kind of retoric and attitude is counter productive. Constantly carping about what Ricoh/Pentax didn't do will definitely not help the community or the brand.
As I mentioned when I started a thread on the topic a while back: The KP had a lot of complaints about bad "look and feel" among other things when it came out. But I've noticed that now the KP is regarded as a very good camera at its price point. I bought one early this summer, now that the price is so low, to replace a destroyed-in-a-fall K-70 and am extremely happy with it. ESPECIALLY the look and feel.

Any change always brings out "problem"-seers.
08-24-2020, 10:03 PM - 4 Likes   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As a member of a forum devoted to the Pentax brand, I get a little tired of people who come here to say how they won't buy something that they have not seen the specifications of yet. The constant brand bashing and negativity of some members make me wonder if they really want new Pentax cameras or if they're just trolling the rest of us who wait in anticipation of the new product.

I was tempted to simply delete your comments but as others have already commented I'll let them stand. I am, however, of mind that this thread is coming close to it's end as it has become yet another negativity fest as is the norm with so many news and rumours threads.

I find it pretty sad that those of us who view these threads with the genuine desire to learn something new about a product yet to be released have to constantly bite our tongue and not "offend" others that seem to be intent on continued brand negativity.
Mark, I see your point wholeheartedly. There is definitely a truth to much of what you are saying. After all this is a forum for Pentax users and alike.

But I do think that there should be a place in this forum for posts that reflect displeasures as well. No cameras or brands are perfect. None of them get it all correct. I imagine Pentax will find some negative comments useful for future product designs while I fully understand that Pentax cannot and should not try to please every single user out there. I find it as much a learning experience to see what people don't like. At times it is reassuring to see some people not liking things that I don't find appealing. I think that the forum is much richer for it, or much more real when both sides of the coin are represented, more or less.

How do we do that in all good taste? Quite honestly, I have no idea.
08-24-2020, 10:08 PM - 7 Likes   #193
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Mark, I see your point wholeheartedly. There is definitely a truth to much of what you are saying. After all this is a forum for Pentax users and alike.

But I do think that there should be a place in this forum for posts that reflect displeasures as well. No cameras or brands are perfect. None of them get it all correct. I imagine Pentax will find some negative comments useful for future product designs while I fully understand that Pentax cannot and should not try to please every single user out there. I find it as much a learning experience to see what people don't like. At times it is reassuring to see some people not liking things that I don't find appealing. I think that the forum is much richer for it, or much more real when both sides of the coin are represented, more or less.

Thanks for your response. The only problem is, the lack of articulating screen has been talked to death for the last few months now. Wait 'til the machine is released and then the "It does not shoot 12k video" crowd will jump on too.
08-24-2020, 10:09 PM - 4 Likes   #194
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hi Fontan

The problem I see is all the negativity based on assumption and not a " physical " finished product.

Dave
08-24-2020, 10:31 PM - 8 Likes   #195
Pentaxian

It's easy.
First rule: Don't assume you are influencing the development of the future camera by continuously expressing your disagreement with assumed decisions for it's design features.
This is a forum of users of this brand, not a Ricoh survey.
In doing that, everyone might find out that telling the forum here once that you won't buy a camera because of this and that might be interesting once, but there is no effect whatsoever on the decisions taken in Ricoh headquarter. It's just annoying people here, you don't influence the design of the future camera the slightest.
Second rule: open a dedicated thread if you want to discuss certain topics. Do not hijack every news thread to repeat your point. It's getting just tiresome and annoying.
YMMV
(Not addressed at anyone personally, just quoted the post above, because the question was raised in it)