08-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It does not shoot 12k video
Do you know for sure?

---------- Post added 08-25-20 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
they produce some damn fine cameras and lens too!!!
Very good seeing they work a 3 day week,but thats only in the months starting with J.The rest of the year they split the team,one does Theta and the other does GR!

08-24-2020, 11:25 PM - 4 Likes   #197
Pentaxian

yet another negativity fest as is the norm

Usually norm is quite positive and he does show actual wildlife photos as well.

I find it pretty sad that those of us who view these threads with the genuine desire to learn something new about a product yet to be released have to constantly bite our tongue and not "offend" others that seem to be intent on continued brand negativity.
+1

Walk into the party, pee on the birthday cake and in parallel the offender tries to victimize himself by claiming "you guys are so aggressive to poor little me, stop that. You turn off your guests (me)"
08-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only problem is, the lack of articulating screen has been talked to death for the last few months now.
Oh yeah I agree. But it also might imply that this really is a huge issue for many. Me personally, if indeed there is no articulating screen - then I am hugely surprised about it. There must be an alternative solution, some novel features that makes you say "ahhhhhhhhh, that is brilliant!!"

---------- Post added 08-25-20 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The problem I see is all the negativity based on assumption and not a " physical " finished product.
Dave, assumption it is, but pretty clear to me they are not having it. Ya, some people are going off on it, but again it may mean that this maybe something that many people here really want or need.

---------- Post added 08-25-20 at 03:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
First rule: Don't assume you are influencing the development of the future camera by continuously expressing your disagreement with assumed decisions for it's design features.
This is a fabulous point. Many sound as though they are obliged to give Ricoh a very valued opinion of theirs for the sake of better product in the future. That being said - I would not be surprised (although I have no insider knowledge of this at all) if someone from Pentax reads the forum. I know for a fact that Leica folks actually do pay rather close attention to their forum members for our complaints. It is not a bad place to look. We are all very passionate about Pentax. Most of us care than not care. They just may be checking in without anybody here not knowing about it. They do openly say they want to listen to our needs. Why not look here?

Last edited by Fontan; 08-24-2020 at 11:36 PM.
08-24-2020, 11:54 PM - 4 Likes   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I just find it weird that the FF flagship of Pentax has an articulated screen but K-new the APS-C “flagship” does not appear to. It was at least at one time a philosophy that Ricoh prescribed to but for some reasons abandoned for this camera. I guess they really want you to peak into that OVF.
If you think about the roles those cameras are playing, it's not weird at all: the K-1 is a landscape machine, offering excellent image quality for deliberate shots (being quite a slow camera), while the K-new will offer speed.
What I'm saying is that an articulated screen was much more important for the K-1.

I also find it weird that those want the moveable screen get crucified. I don’t remember forum members crucifying K-1 for having it. Is K-1 a superb camera despite having an articulated screen?

I suppose this is really about OVF vs Live view, latter being blasphemy. The most ironic is that the end products the pictures will not be able to tell you if one used OVF or LV/EVF.

I just find it silly.
That is completely untrue - a strawman. The problem is either insisting that the K-new - as presented - has an articulated screen in a very well disguised form (why disguised???), or that the K-new would absolutely flop because it's screen is fixed and its other features aren't good enough to compensate for such a glaring fault
But, obviously, not wanting an articulating screen per se.

P.S. I believe a large part of the screen-complainers would not buy the K-new even if it had an articulated screen. This, IMO, is just like the Ricoh inscription on the K-3: an excuse.
Oh, and on the other forum the top complainer is a guy who's constantly blaming the K-new for not being a FF mirrorless with class leading eye tracking, selfie-type articulated screen, CFExpress card slot made by Canon

08-24-2020, 11:58 PM - 2 Likes   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
P.S. I believe a large part of the screen-complainers would not buy the K-new even if it had an articulated screen. This, IMO, is just like the Ricoh inscription on the K-3: an excuse.
I think there's a sizable difference between being able to adjust your screen's position over some useless text.

Speaking of strawmen you know.
08-25-2020, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #201
Veteran Member

Snippet update.

How can I subscribe to 'Pentaxofficial' so I can get alerted for the next snippet? I could not navigate in 'https://pentaxofficial.com/en/5849/', it seemed there is no English version. Is somewhere in the forums a sticky with all the addresses of the snippets?
08-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I think there's a sizable difference between being able to adjust your screen's position over some useless text.

Speaking of strawmen you know.
The strawman being, me supposedly claiming they're both equally useful?

The point I was making is that an excuse is just that, and not something actually relevant to the complainer. (of course, there might be people who would genuinely need both an articulated screen and the added performance, and have the budget to buy such a camera)

08-25-2020, 12:23 AM - 2 Likes   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do remember the K-1’s novel screen mechanism coming in for some extended criticism at the time of its release. Like with the KP’s size and appearance, the criticism over time morphed into acceptance and even praise, until it’s become the standard by which some appear to judge subsequent screens. C’est la vie (“said the old folks: it goes to show you never can tell” - how appropriate is that old song to this discussion?)
08-25-2020, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The strawman being, me supposedly claiming they're both equally useful?

The point I was making is that an excuse is just that, and not something actually relevant to the complainer. (of course, there might be people who would genuinely need both an articulated screen and the added performance, and have the budget to buy such a camera)
The strawman is the theoretical person who merely wants to complain over trivial things and make a ruckus. You set this theoretical person up for failure by saying he's the same person who would care about a camera saying Ricoh on it instead of Pentax downplaying the feature of an articulating screen.
08-25-2020, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #205
Pentaxian

I just find it weird that the FF flagship of Pentax has an articulated screen but K-new the APS-C “flagship” does not appear to. It was at least at one time a philosophy that Ricoh prescribed to but for some reasons abandoned for this camera. I guess they really want you to peak into that OVF.

I also find it weird that those want the moveable screen get crucified. I don’t remember forum members crucifying K-1 for having it. Is K-1 a superb camera despite having an articulated screen?

I suppose this is really about OVF vs Live view, latter being blasphemy. The most ironic is that the end products the pictures will not be able to tell you if one used OVF or LV/EVF.

I just find it silly.
For me that's only smart marketing.
You need flippy screen => buy KP
You don't need flippy screen => buy K-2

Furthermore, use of the flippy screen is most of the time less demanding in terms of fps or number of AF points, because you shoot with Live-View either as street-photog or macro/landscape-photog.
You definitely don't use flippy screen for sports or BIF.
08-25-2020, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #206

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't understand. The K-5 has a fixed screen. If a fixed screen is a no-go why haven't you replaced the K-5 years ago? Why did you buy a fixed screen body in the first place?
I did for most work replace the K-5 by the K-1 when it came on the market, and that showed me all benefits of a tilted screen. The K-1 is for me very adequate except for the AF speed.
The K-5 I'm still using when walking light e.g. with the DA 21/3.2. I won't get rid of my K-1 (a true workhorse), but for the future I'm looking as back up for a high res fast modern APS-C that is easier and lighter than the K-1 in the tele end. Holding up the K-1 with a 70-200/2.8 for a long time tends to strain the muscles.
08-25-2020, 12:31 AM - 2 Likes   #207
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I managed to read all ~10 pages talking about the fixed or articulated screen once again... Meanwhile there are complaints that the official releases from Ricoh about the K-new are about minor features and meaningless. How ironic thread is this!

I don't see how an articulated screen would flawlessly cooperate with the sensor above the screen used to switch off the screen while shooting that has been presented and is a fact. This reminds me of the long discussion about the K-1II processor for the high ISO that others would like to be engaged and dissengaged manually, others to be able to control when and how much it will interfere and others just throwing their K-1IIs in the fire because they are RAW purists and can't stand that Ricoh did what $ony and many others do many years now... (while still shooting? with ancient DSLRs - no problem with that and expressing your opinion, but I'm talking about the negativity against Ricoh that doen't ever make anything worth the update of their first DSLR).

In the meantime I see many complaints from people who describe their ideal camera and it is the description of the KP. A wonderful top APS-C camera with great AF and IQ and all its characteristics that will exist along with the K-new covering the less "dynamic" and more relaxed and everyday part of the photography, as a true K-1 APS-C version. The K-new is something different as was the K-3 and although it could be made to cover anything we may think of, it is oriented and this is good to improve the Pentax weaknesses and offer what the rest of the APS-C models (KP, K-70) don't. So the APS-C format will be totally covered like Nikon had done for example years ago with the D-7500 and D-500.

How can such a great move from Ricoh worry Pentaxians, I really don't understand...

PS: The real complaints will start once the price is announced. Our unreasonable desires must come in a reasonable price... I rarely read a comment of people that ask for many things and also add I'm willing to pay 2500€ for such an incredible camera...
08-25-2020, 12:37 AM - 2 Likes   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote

Furthermore, use of the flippy screen is most of the time less demanding in terms of fps or number of AF points, because you shoot with Live-View either as street-photog or macro/landscape-photog.
Is it really smart marketing in a world where no other company makes this distinction? I believe most cameras are expected to be well rounded and making certain styles of shooting harder just isn't ideal.

However I'm of the opinion that this wasn't based on some weird marketing attempt to distinguish the KP line, that is done in other ways. No I'm assuming there was some compromise they had to make in the design with something they wanted to do and weighed the pros and cons to come to this decision. To me a lack of an articulating screen isn't the end all be all of a camera but it really needs to deliver in the other areas that they sacrificed it for.
08-25-2020, 12:59 AM - 7 Likes   #209
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As someone that's new to posting on PF I have found this thread and other similar ones quite a hard slog to read through. I get that we are all passionate Pentax users and we all have many needs/wants for our gear based on how and what we shoot but the tone can get a bit much at times. We cop enough from users of other brands without getting into each other.

I can't wait for K-New, it seems like forever. While the drip feeding of tidbits feels like a change for Pentax I just want the official announcement, release date and spec sheet. I like everyone else have my wishlist. I like new toys and as a new flagship there will be improvements over the K-3ii so I'll more than likely be grabbing one unless it's a ridiculous price, which isn't very Pentax as they are always such good value. Flippy screen/ no flippy screen is not a deal breaker for me although having one would be nice. A bigger brighter OVF sounds good but the eye sensor to turn off the screen hasn't really been an issue for me with the K-3 or K-1 unless of course we're getting a touch screen with it and then the extra 3mm for the eye piece won't be near enough for my pointed nose so I guess the sensor will be useful then.

While I think Pentax has a focus towards the landscape and portrait photographers I shoot other genres. I like photographing wildlife, birds and bugs in particular and I'm also regularly covering canine events. My hope for K-new is fast accurate AF and improved tracking particularly for my canine events where I'm following dogs trying to get movement shots. Black dogs are notoriously hard to focus on, even when they are not moving. A bigger buffer with faster clearing because by the time I'm shooting the 2nd dog in a class I'm often losing frames because I'm waiting for frames to be written to the SD card. Greater coverage of the screen with the AF points. For large dogs the bottom row of AF points may line up with the dog when I compose my shots for small ankle biters there's not a hope in hell, it's shoot wider and crop (I usually try to include handler and dog in the frame).

My wish list isn't huge and it's probably similar to what some other's may want. I'll just have to wait and see what they give us and assess the value for myself. If I try and guess what's in it I'll get it wrong for sure.

Last edited by pqberger; 08-25-2020 at 08:21 PM.
08-25-2020, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote

You go and hike 20 km with the bird camera and the landscape camera, then . Sometimes you want a do-everything camera. Right know, that camera is the K-1 (I've been shooting some bursts here and there lately, its tracking woes are greatly exaggerated until the camera chokes on its pea-sized buffer).