Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 605 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #376
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
I am expecting a brand new liveview, ...

...This is this kind of improvements I expect, not a body few millimeters thinner...
We didn't have direct input into the design goals, so we really have no justification to expect anything. We can hope, for sure, but our individual hopes are going to be as personal as our photography

09-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
my KP shows major improvement in speed when just going from 25 to 1 AF point.
Now you will have 100+AF points to chose from and a joystick to keep help with rapid selection....I am sure they will do a good job.
09-05-2020, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Now you will have 100+AF points to chose from and a joystick to keep help with rapid selection....I am sure they will do a good job.
Somebodies will have 100+AF points to chose from and a joystick to keep help with rapid selection ..... but I am perfectly happy with my KP. As I have already said, I have never run a completely charged battery down in one day, I have never lost a photo because the buffer was too small, I don't even think of looking at the top to get info. I have no expectation of ever using a "K-3ii replacement" .... the only chance I ever had of receiving one passed just over a year ago when Adam decided someone else would receive one from him. After over 1-1/2 year, I am still learning about the KP.
09-05-2020, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #379
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the rather modest size difference between the new APSC body and the ergonomically and optically excellent FF K-1, I see the price point difference as a crucial factor. I have been perfectly happy using a mix of FF and crop lenses on the K-1ii and in my experience the difference between having let's say the 70/2.4 mounted on the K-5 or K-3 vs on K-1 is negligible. If anything, the K-1 feels and works better for me even with the small DA lenses on it. Unless the new crop body has other aces up it's sleeve beyond the viewfinder, or costs substantially less than the discounted K-1ii, the latter may be a more attractive and open-ended option even for those who at the moment own only crop lenses.

09-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baba_yaga Quote
Given the rather modest size difference between the new APSC body and the ergonomically and optically excellent FF K-1, I see the price point difference as a crucial factor. I have been perfectly happy using a mix of FF and crop lenses on the K-1ii and in my experience the difference between having let's say the 70/2.4 mounted on the K-5 or K-3 vs on K-1 is negligible. If anything, the K-1 feels and works better for me even with the small DA lenses on it. Unless the new crop body has other aces up it's sleeve beyond the viewfinder, or costs substantially less than the discounted K-1ii, the latter may be a more attractive and open-ended option even for those who at the moment own only crop lenses.
I just ordered a K1II, I’ll use my K5iis as a backup just saying...

JJ
09-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-New is likely to have a similar price to the K-1 II. It is also likely to have significantly better AF and a deeper buffer, which actually may make it an excellent wildlife-dedicated complementary body for K-1 shooters.
09-05-2020, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #382
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-New is likely to have a similar price to the K-1 II. It is also likely to have significantly better AF and a deeper buffer, which actually may make it an excellent wildlife-dedicated complementary body for K-1 shooters.
In Australia the K-1ii is around AU$3,000 (body only) while the KP is AU$1,200. I think there would still need to be some price difference between the APS-C and Full-Frame flagships. I'm guessing at an $1,750 to $2,000 price range for K-new. When I purchased my K-3ii I think they were around the AU$1,500 price region.

I would love K-New to be targetted more towards wildlife enthusiasts and action/sports photographers, that's what I'm hoping for. They will definitely get some more of my money if they deliver there. I'll just have to wait and see. I just wish they'd hurry up!!

09-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
I can understand that the camera will be thinner and the screen a little bigger without a tiltable LCD but in many shooting situations, it is just impossible to look into the viewfinder or look at a fixed LCD... Last week I had to compose in the blind because my K-3II was just above the water, a tilt screen would have been very welcome.

The article seems to say that they focus on the viewfinder, but I hope they do not forgot to improve liveview. I am expecting a brand new liveview, that works like EVF camera, with fast AF, eye and animal eye tracking, and most of all wysiwyg... Last point is my biggest complaint with my K-3II, you can compose with liveview but it do not reflect the final picture exposition. What the point of having an histogram if you can't trust it because it is different in the picture taken? This is this kind of improvements I expect, not a body few millimeters thinner...

And I really hope that they didn't dropped the GPS to have their viewfinder 10% bigger...
The size of the pentaprism is determined by the sensor size and the position of the viewfinder axis, so that‘s unlikely to take up any more space. The optical viewfinder magnification is determined by the element FL selection. I doubt either will impact substantially, if at all on the space for a GPS.

As I understand it, the Liveview image is necessarily a compressed image because of the in-camera processing and/or transmission limitations, but I could be mistaken there. I would have thought that AF tracking etc was independent of the image display, even during Liveview sessions, but again, others with greater knowledge can no doubt tell us more.

Nonetheless, I would be very surprised if the performance of all the camera systems wasn’t greatly improved in this new model.
09-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #384
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have been perfectly happy using a mix of FF and crop lenses on the K-1ii and in my experience the difference between having let's say the 70/2.4 mounted on the K-5 or K-3 vs on K-1 is negligible.
The DA70 is only usable if the subject is in the center. IQ completely falls apart toward the edges.
09-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #385

The K-1 (II) with 36 MP delivers only 16 MP in crop mode on a DA crop lens. So a high res crop body may in theory give better results.

Last edited by Henk T; 09-06-2020 at 06:36 AM.
09-06-2020, 04:05 AM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The DA70 is only usable if the subject is in the center. IQ completely falls apart toward the edges.
Crop mode.
09-06-2020, 05:37 AM - 5 Likes   #387
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You can judge just how bad the DA 70 is on the K-1 from this album.
09-06-2020, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #388
Pentaxian

This the first time I've heard DA 70 images as bad.Given that for years it was Pentax's sharpest lens (in their catalogue and among the ones tested by DxO and optical limits, I can understand people saying they don't like it personally... but, bad? That doesn't seem like an informed opinion.
09-06-2020, 06:25 AM   #389
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This the first time I've heard DA 70 images as bad.Given that for years it was Pentax's sharpest lens (in their catalogue and among the ones tested by DxO and optical limits, I can understand people saying they don't like it personally... but, bad? That doesn't seem like an informed opinion.
Perhaps he meant it gets bad outside of the APS-C frame? Something I've observed myself (not very bad, but noticeable).
That, of course, is something the lens was never meant to do.
09-06-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
You can judge just how bad the DA 70 is on the K-1 from this album.
Yeah, it's obviously quite bad, judging by these images.