Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a two-battery USB charger that came with my last Wasabi batteries. So call it $10 for the charger...

It takes far longer to charge than any other charger I own (8.4v at 600mA if the source can make 2000mA at 5v), but I can stick two batteries in at the end of the day and they’re ready in the morning. And it is tiny and runs off a regular wall wart.

I’m curious what the take rate will be on this one. A fast charge is awesome, but is it awesome enough?

-Eric

04-10-2021, 06:11 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I’m curious what the take rate will be on this one. A fast charge is awesome, but is it awesome enough?
2.5h for charging can be awesome
New Ricoh Charger - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
04-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I have a two-battery USB charger that came with my last Wasabi batteries. So call it $10 for the charger...

It takes far longer to charge than any other charger I own (8.4v at 600mA if the source can make 2000mA at 5v), but I can stick two batteries in at the end of the day and they’re ready in the morning. And it is tiny and runs off a regular wall wart.

-Eric
Odd. I have 2 Wasabi and 2 Pentax chargers, and both of the Wasabi charge faster than the Pentax.
04-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the idea of being able to use a USB connection to charge - makes it easier to charge using existing USB-C power ports next to a computer, monitor, laptop, etc.

04-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's nice to have options for charging, especially if you are off-grid.

I recently bought one of the rapid charger kits. Today I experimented with charging a battery using my RV's 12v USB ports. It was slow, probably 6 hours or longer, but it worked. I don't know enough about all this electrical stuff to know if it would be quicker if I were using the USB-C charging port on either a computer or a docking station I use compared to the USB port.

So far I'm happy with it, it seems to work well both on USB (slow) and AC adaptor (quick). The battery was definitely warm to the touch when I used the adaptor.
04-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
I like the idea of being able to use a USB connection to charge - makes it easier to charge using existing USB-C power ports next to a computer, monitor, laptop, etc.
Or in a car
04-17-2021, 04:15 AM   #172
Loyal Site Supporter

Loading up last night for a shoot today I guess I didn't ever pay attention to how long it takes to charge a K-1 battery. Geesh, I intended to carry two spares for a very long day but not happening.

04-17-2021, 04:40 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Or in a car
Yes, and my Ford Fiesta even has a USB port, so presumably all I would need is the USB-A to USB-C converter that came with one of my external disk drives.
04-17-2021, 04:51 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dunno why people look at cheaper variants, it's like having a Mercedes and putting remoulds on - cheaper sure but you'll know its just not as good. I wonder is there a correlation between SDM brown outs (drained capacitors) and non OEM batteries.
04-17-2021, 05:27 AM   #175
Pentaxian

Dunno why people look at over-priced OEM batteries. My cheaper variants work as well as the Pentax ones do.
04-18-2021, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Dunno why people look at cheaper variants, it's like having a Mercedes and putting remoulds on - cheaper sure but you'll know its just not as good. I wonder is there a correlation between SDM brown outs (drained capacitors) and non OEM batteries.
If that were the case a battery with enough voltage would have no issue reviving a permanently-dead SDM. I doubt any in-lens electronics have any meaningful capacity... There's no point in it.

If the SDM dies on a lower voltage it 100% is bad design, because Pentax batteries are bound to the same laws of physics as everything else and will end up dropping their voltage.

---------- Post added 04-18-21 at 01:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Loading up last night for a shoot today I guess I didn't ever pay attention to how long it takes to charge a K-1 battery. Geesh, I intended to carry two spares for a very long day but not happening.
I know right? I don't remember any situation where I ran out a fresh battery in a day, so I don't really *need* a faster charger, but the current one is infuriatingly slow... good that they are upgrading it.
04-18-2021, 04:11 AM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If that were the case a battery with enough voltage would have no issue reviving a permanently-dead SDM. I doubt any in-lens electronics have any meaningful capacity... There's no point in it.

If the SDM dies on a lower voltage it 100% is bad design, because Pentax batteries are bound to the same laws of physics as everything else and will end up dropping their voltage.

---------- Post added 04-18-21 at 01:02 AM ----------

I know right? I don't remember any situation where I ran out a fresh battery in a day, so I don't really *need* a faster charger, but the current one is infuriatingly slow... good that they are upgrading it.
With two cameras that will use the same batteries I may go ahead and get a standalone fast charger. Quick charge in the K3 III is great IMO, but I still need the charge 'em for the K1.
04-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #178
Pentaxian

I have lots of chargers - because I can't always locate a particular one when I need it.

I - of course - have the charger that came with each camera.

I have a "Watson" Duocharger, with a plate for my Q-7 and for my KP. This is the one I usually use. It can take electricity from either 12 volt or 110 volts, and then changes it to what it needs.

I have a "Kastar" charger for each of my Q-7 and my KP; I got them because they run off of 5 volt USB-A - then changes it to what it needs {see photo}.
Playing around this morning I discovered that they will not work off the Apple 'blocks" that came with our iPhones, but we do have lots of other USB-A supplies,
including one that converts 4 AA-batteries, a "Duracell" unit that plugs into the wall, and my "Ford Fiesta".
Attached Images

04-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Dunno why people look at over-priced OEM batteries. My cheaper variants work as well as the Pentax ones do.
Not with My K-1
04-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #180
Pentaxian

My personal experience with non-OEM batteries & chargers has not been a good one. Based on that, I only use OEM now.

I've wasted a significant amount of money over the decades trying to save money with lesser-expensive options. Options that either didn't work, didn't work well, or failed quicker than the more expensive options. Eventually replaced by the more expensive option. Would have been less expensive to go that route from the beginning. And this applies to products associated with more than just photography.

I'd say "maybe I'm just an unlucky person", but I've had great experiences with other non-OEM items. Cosina-Voigtlander M-mount glass for one example.

I think it is safe to say people's experiences heavily influence their stance regarding the use of non-OEM parts.

As for the thread topic, I'll be getting another original tried and true charger to start. Probably add the new fast charger later and see how well it works. One thing I have noticed with newer rapid chargers for other items, is that everything (battery, charger, wall wart, wall socket) get quite a bit hotter than the older slow chargers.