Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #181

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
One thing I have noticed with newer rapid chargers for other items, is that everything (battery, charger, wall wart, wall socket) get quite a bit hotter than the older slow chargers.
Hotter batteries during charging will lower the battery life (number of recharge cycles). There is a price to pay for faster charging. Also if you charge in body that heat will go into the camera body.

04-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Hotter batteries during charging will lower the battery life (number of recharge cycles). There is a price to pay for faster charging. Also if you charge in body that heat will go into the camera body.
Yep. Not a fan of high heat. The new rapid charger for the Pentax is a "probably" instead of a "will" purchase for that reason.
04-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Yep. Not a fan of high heat. The new rapid charger for the Pentax is a "probably" instead of a "will" purchase for that reason.
If you already have a charger for that battery from a different camera, you can simply use it.
04-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you already have a charger for that battery from a different camera, you can simply use it.
I realize that. But it only charges one battery. With two cameras, one which will have the battery grip attached, I would like to have two to make sure I have spares charged.

04-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #185

I had a AA battery charger from Energizer. Said it would charge the batteries in 15-20 mins.
The batteries didn’t last long.
So I pulled out an ancient Radio Shack charger that takes 7 hours, but the batteries last way longer.
04-21-2021, 01:32 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
True, but as Pentikonian posted, two chargers are practical for people using the grip.

Me, I have two (because I have two K-3 II bodies). But still this is not practical when travelling because I need two power outlets in my hotel room to do the charging. Having the new type with the camera would be a good evolution for me, enabling me to charge two batteries, e.g. one on the outlet and one on a powerbank.

Shame it's not included, but same as with the GR III's not included charger, the added value outways the extra cost for me... I'll just convince myself that the money gained by getting the K-3 III premium kit (cheaper grip + free battery and strap) will be for the charger...

Wim
04-21-2021, 02:59 AM   #187

Do we know what is faster, charger or USB-C?
Look like the old charger of the K-3, too bad they do not improve it to charge multiple batteries at the same time.

04-21-2021, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
  1. But still this is not practical when travelling because I need two power outlets in my hotel room to do the charging.
  2. Having the new type with the camera would be a good evolution for me, enabling me to charge two batteries, e.g. one on the outlet and one on a powerbank.
  3. Shame it's not included, but same as with the GR III's not included charger, the added value outways the extra cost for me...
  4. I'll just convince myself that the money gained by getting the K-3 III premium kit (cheaper grip + free battery and strap) will be for the charger...
  1. With a power strip you need only one power outlet in any room.
  2. With the new D-BG8 you can charge two batteries over the K-3 III
  3. The USB-C power plug for charging the battery inside the camera is included.
  4. The separate buyable external battery charger can be used without camera.
04-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter

While not 100% convinced that I NEED one I ordered the Pentax fast charger last night anyway. With two cameras using the same 5 batteries I can foresee instances where I'm late packing for an event coming up later in the day and find a couple of them needing a recharge. It takes soooo looong for the current charger which I already have. After dropping $2k what's another $100 in the bigger scheme of things. At least I'm using the lenses I already have and not changing systems.
04-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dunno why people look at over-priced OEM batteries. My cheaper variants work as well as the Pentax ones do.
Dunno why people look at over-priced OEM batteries. My cheaper variants work as well as the Pentax ones do.
I find I get an extra 20 percent life out of a Pentax Battery compared to a cheap one. I can buy 5 or 6 cheaper batteries for the price of a branded one so for that 20 percent inconvenience I feel I an ahead.

I have plenty of chargers having picked up a couple of second hand ones.

The USB in the car interests me. I bought a 12V DLI90 charger that didn't work so had to jerry rig the DLI90 case with a computer charger I got from an OP shop. worked a treat but I didn"t trust it to be on for more than a couple of hours in case I cooked the battery
04-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #191
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
I find I get an extra 20 percent life out of a Pentax Battery compared to a cheap one. I can buy 5 or 6 cheaper batteries for the price of a branded one so for that 20 percent inconvenience I feel I an ahead.

I have plenty of chargers having picked up a couple of second hand ones.

The USB in the car interests me. I bought a 12V DLI90 charger that didn't work so had to jerry rig the DLI90 case with a computer charger I got from an OP shop. worked a treat but I didn"t trust it to be on for more than a couple of hours in case I cooked the battery
As long as the camera is in warranty, will you trust non oem batteries?
04-21-2021, 08:51 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I did on my K1.
I bought them for my K7 and continued to use them.
04-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #193
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is there an issue?

Steve
04-21-2021, 11:48 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
With a power strip you need only one power outlet in any room.
Of course, but slighty too much bulk to carry around. I guess some hotels might provide one if asked nicely.

The USB-C power plug for charging the battery inside the camera is included.
True, hadn't considered that the camera could be used for a charge as well. Not for charging a spare battery while out, but a valuable alternative for nighttime charging an extra battery. The GR III allows for this as well, but for some reason I only very rarely use it to charge the battery (only before getting the charger I think). I also never connect the camera to my PC to download images from the memory card. Of course that's an entirely different thing, but it might explain my reflex to take the battery out to charge rather than use the camera as a non-photography tool? I'll try to remember next time.

With the new D-BG8 you can charge two batteries over the K-3 III

The separate buyable external battery charger can be used without camera.
Indeed, that's exactly why I will probably add it to my kit.

Wim
04-22-2021, 02:28 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank God it's Friday, I hate charging my LPIP90 with the current charger, takes half a day.