Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 06:36 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Thank God it's Friday, I hate charging my LPIP90 with the current charger, takes half a day.
It’s only Thursday, the 22nd, here in Indiana.

04-22-2021, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #197
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
True, hadn't considered that the camera could be used for a charge as well. Not for charging a spare battery while out, but a valuable alternative for nighttime charging an extra battery. The GR III allows for this as well, but for some reason I only very rarely use it to charge the battery (only before getting the charger I think).
Ever since I got my first digital camera, I have arranged some way of recharging batteries as we drive from place to place.

Now my car has a usb port, but I still have a 'plug' which turns a "cigarette lighter" into a usb port. If I had one of those K-3iii cameras, I would think in terms of boosting the battery inside it as we drove.
04-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #198
Veteran Member

I have like 4 batteries for griii, maybe a charger that can charge two at a time would be a good investment overall)
04-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #199
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I have like 4 batteries for griii, maybe a charger that can charge two at a time would be a good investment overall)
Wouldn't you have to go to a 'third-party' for that? Something like a Watson Duo charger with two appropriate plates.

04-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Wouldn't you have to go to a 'third-party' for that? Something like a Watson Duo charger with two appropriate plates.
If that doesn't damage the ricoh batteries (i vaguely remember something about that either for ricoh batteries, or the olympus ones) if be all for it.
04-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #201
Pentaxian

Something like a Watson Duo charger with two appropriate plates.
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
If that doesn't damage the ricoh batteries (i vaguely remember something about that either for ricoh batteries, or the olympus ones) if be all for it.
I got my Watson charger {with two plates for the D-Li68} shortly after I got my Q-7 in November 2014. I got a D-Li109 plate just after I got my KP in November 2018.
In recent years I have followed a regular rotation of 2 Pentax batteries, 1 Wasabi battery, and 1 Kastar battery. I charge all batteries used since the last recharge every Monday - every day when I am on the road.
I haven't noticed any problems with the batteries, and I don't think the Watson charger "pushes" an individual battery any harder than the new Pentax charger does
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I didn't time it exactly but mine was far faster than that, guessing closer to 90 minutes.
Of course, different batteries may be able to withstand different charging paces.
05-22-2021, 02:55 AM   #202
Pentaxian

The charger I have from Apple doesn’t have any markings.
Any idea how it would fit into this paradigm?
Odd, all my Apple Power Adapters do have markings although I need a magnifier to read them

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
this article recommends to use third party charger+cables for iPhones, it is possible that your apple charger don't offer PD (Power Delivery).
I was just wondering about this. I have an Apple USB-C Power Adapter 29W Model A1540 which specifies: Output: 14.5V --- 2.0A (USB PD) or 5.2V ---2.4A. So the article referenced was not well-informed, as I bought the Apple PD Adapter way back in 2017 and the article is dated 2020.
Of course, it came with a USB-C cable to Lightning, but a USB-C to USB-C cable does not need to be that expensive, and I have one anyway.

But I'm slightly anxious just putting this to my Pentax K-3 III. The charger that came with it has output 5V --- 1A (5W). The Apple Adapter still has a higher A output than any listed by Angerdan:

However, it could work with just the D-BC177, and perhaps still be faster than Ricoh's own set.
I have charged my iPhone and iPad for almost 4 years on this without any negative effect. And it can be very useful to have a fast charge, even though I don't expect to drain the batteries on any given day.

Last edited by Smolk; 05-22-2021 at 03:19 AM.
05-22-2021, 05:57 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Odd, all my Apple Power Adapters do have markings although I need a magnifier to read them

I was just wondering about this. I have an Apple USB-C Power Adapter 29W Model A1540 which specifies: Output: 14.5V --- 2.0A (USB PD) or 5.2V ---2.4A. So the article referenced was not well-informed, as I bought the Apple PD Adapter way back in 2017 and the article is dated 2020.
Of course, it came with a USB-C cable to Lightning, but a USB-C to USB-C cable does not need to be that expensive, and I have one anyway.
The "plug" that came with my iPhone has a USB-A to lightning cable; the generic "plug" Duracell sold to me also requires a USB-A to lightning cable. I have a generic USB-A to USB-C cable which I tried with both "plugs" - it worked with the Duracell "plug", but not with the Apple one. I guess this is another example of Apple USA's meeting their need without worrying about standards.

added: A few years ago I had a Windows phone. A Apple "plug" worked for it, but it complained that the Apple "plug" was weaker than the one that came with it {which I can no longer find}.
05-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #204
Pentaxian

the Apple "plug" was weaker than the one that came with it {
Some were 5W only, others 10, 12 or 29W. But they are very safe, and chargers can be a risk. A friend had several car chargers wreck his products, When he went with official but more expensive ones, that did not happen.
I had one charger which couldn't quite keep up when I was watching BBC on an iPad... it drained faster than it was charged! But that was many years ago.
05-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Some were 5W only, others 10, 12 or 29W. But they are very safe, and chargers can be a risk. A friend had several car chargers wreck his products, When he went with official but more expensive ones, that did not happen.
I had one charger which couldn't quite keep up when I was watching BBC on an iPad... it drained faster than it was charged! But that was many years ago.
The cheaper generic ones may have a listed output, but vary significantly.
06-21-2021, 01:42 AM   #206
Pentaxian

How many owners of the new Charger are here?

Maybe someone want to share his experiences in the reviews (:
Pentax K-BC177 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Pentax D-BC177 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
06-21-2021, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #207
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just (literally 1h ago) received word that mine has arrived at the store. I'll probably go and pick it up after work. It's the D-BC177. I'll see if I can find to empty batteries and charge them simultaneously using the new one and my old charger that came with my K-3II to see the difference... Will report back here.
06-22-2021, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
UPDATE: I charged a few near empty batteries yesterday, some with the old chargers (that came with my K-3 II's) some with the new D-BC177 (version without the power adapter). The D-BC177 is connected through USB-C to my Zendure Passport Pro charger (first version), and it charges the batteries considerably faster than the old ones. I would say about twice as fast.
I'm reassured that I didn't get the version with power adapter and the USB-C charging is almost as much an improvement through my to-go USB charger. Considerable space saved in my travel bag!!
06-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #209
Pentaxian

UPDATE: I charged a few near empty batteries yesterday, some with the old chargers (that came with my K-3 II's) some with the new D-BC177 (version without the power adapter).
That's what to expect from the specifications.
New Ricoh Charger - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks for your experience, especially USB-C.
06-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #210
Pentaxian

UPDATE: I charged a few near empty batteries yesterday, some with the old chargers (that came with my K-3 II's) some with the new D-BC177 (version without the power adapter). The D-BC177 is connected through USB-C to my Zendure Passport Pro charger (first version), and it charges the batteries considerably faster than the old ones. I would say about twice as fast.
I'm reassured that I didn't get the version with power adapter and the USB-C charging is almost as much an improvement through my to-go USB charger. Considerable space saved in my travel bag!!
Do you have the original, or the second version of the Zendure Passport Pro?
The latter supports the same amps as the AC-166.