Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
curious, technically, isn't it possible to charge it even faster? the battery has 1860mAh capacity, and charges 2.5hrs with this new charger right? my phone has about 3000mAh capacity and charges to 60% in 25 minutes with fast charge. Curious if this kind of tech would eventually make it to the camera world, or there's some technical limitation for these batteries?
Heat is a limited.
I suppose it could work even faster if it had a surrounding freezer.

08-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Heat is a limited.
my phone haven't exploded yet, but who knows, it just might)

---------- Post added 08-27-20 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The same as with phones: such fast charging damages the battery more than normal charging. I expect to use each camera battery more than 4 or 500 times before it becomes unusable, so I could do without fast charging (particularly considering that two batteries should last more than a day in the field and you can always charge overnight).
been using my phone for over 2 years now, charing every day. so far the battery holds us just fine. I don't imagine i charge my K-1 batteries more than a 100 times since I bought it.
08-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
been using my phone for over 2 years now, charing every day. so far the battery holds us just fine. I don't imagine i charge my K-1 batteries more than a 100 times since I bought it.
What phone and what amount of use does it get? Are we talking full charge every day? Because every smartphone I've (or anyone I know) have ever owned is at about a third-to-a-half less battery life after a year or two of use.
08-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Heat is a limited.
my phone haven't exploded yet, but who knows, it just might)
Very few phones have exploded, but I don't charge mine at extra-fast speed, which was the question I was responding to.
Heat is a limited.

08-27-2020, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

What phone and what amount of use does it get? Are we talking full charge every day? Because every smartphone I've (or anyone I know) have ever owned is at about a third-to-a-half less battery life after a year or two of use.
Oneplus 6. I usually get down to 15-25% every day and charge it overnight. Bought back in 2018. The battery might've lost some capacity, but again, let's say I charged it at least over 600 times over my ownership (could be more). I haven't charged my K-1 batteries that many times over my 4 years of ownership. Plus camera batteries are cheaper than new phones, i'd be ok buying new batteries every few years if I'd have fast charging available. Plus there's always an option of slower charges for people that want to prolong the life of the batteries as much as possible (maybe even in the same charging block, some of them have 2 outlets for different power modes).
08-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oneplus 6. I usually get down to 15-25% every day and charge it overnight. Bought back in 2018. The battery might've lost some capacity, but again, let's say I charged it at least over 600 times over my ownership (could be more). I haven't charged my K-1 batteries that many times over my 4 years of ownership. Plus camera batteries are cheaper than new phones, i'd be ok buying new batteries every few years if I'd have fast charging available. Plus there's always an option of slower charges for people that want to prolong the life of the batteries as much as possible (maybe even in the same charging block, some of them have 2 outlets for different power modes).
Huh, the one of my friend was barely surviving a full day without some extra juice in the evening. My Nokia has gone from once every two days to once a day charging in a year as well. My main issue with the camera battery lifetime is that in a good day of shooting I can almost chew through both of them (if I'm using LV or shooting at night) so I'm quite apprehensive about anything that can degrade them more

With the phone, fast charging is certainly useful, with the camera I see it as less needed (nice to have in a pinch, but I'd rather it be an option - which shouldn't be an issue as long as they keep the same battery).
08-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Huh, the one of my friend was barely surviving a full day without some extra juice in the evening. My Nokia has gone from once every two days to once a day charging in a year as well. My main issue with the camera battery lifetime is that in a good day of shooting I can almost chew through both of them (if I'm using LV or shooting at night) so I'm quite apprehensive about anything that can degrade them more

With the phone, fast charging is certainly useful, with the camera I see it as less needed (nice to have in a pinch, but I'd rather it be an option - which shouldn't be an issue as long as they keep the same battery).
I honestly don't have a use for this - I don't have a camera which uses the battery in question, and I do have a "Kastar" unit which will charge the battery I do have off a USB source - but it is always good when Pentax provides another option for those who can take advantage of it.

08-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

ould prefer a D-LI 90 battery that is able to allow the K1 camera minimal 1500 shots with occasional chimping, I won't have to think much about the charging time when one battery will give me huge autonomy, fast charger with the possibility of usb and / or charging over 12V is only an accessory (possibility) for those who do not have enough of the original of my desire with approx. 1500 ~ 1700 triggers from the original new D-LI 90, first a great basis only then an improved version of the additional and not vice versa, the logic of a battery that discharges faster to need a faster charger is bad logic, the battery should allow as many triggers as possible with a slower discharge, and only then quickly offer the additional possibility that this long-lasting battery with a very large number of triggers can be quickly

Last edited by mbukal; 08-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.
08-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think it's just one of those things that will over time enter all of the tech categories - phones, tablets, laptops, cars (tesla has supercharge option I believe). As with USB-c, eventually it will arrive. I'm guessing Sony or fuji would be among the first adapters, and other companies will follow.

Not really talking about K-1 and current batteries necessarily. But it would be pretty nice to be able to charge batteries from an battery pack for example (some of them have pretty large capacity, up to 20,000mHa) via USB c over say an hour or half hour instead of having to leave it plugged into the wall for 4 hours.
08-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Pentax equates user rights in Europe and Asia / other with a unique charger and battery for it - for all the same, so it should have been from the beginning and not now to present it as a novelty / some improvement, an improvement is if the new battery has a capacity greater than the old approx. .30% but with a charger that can charge it faster at the user's request, if the user does not want fast charging and wants more capacity then keep the old charger and buy a new battery, logic
08-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #26
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
Release date is November 30 in Japan

Approximate charging time - USB cable charging: about 4.5 hours

Pictures attached
What is the difference with old one?
08-27-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
ould prefer a D-LI 90 battery that is able to allow the K1 camera minimal 1500 shots with occasional chimping
I would prefer 5000 shots, but in the mean time, I carry five spares in addition to the one in the camera.

Steve

(...what brand's battery provides 1500? )
08-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would prefer 5000 shots, but in the mean time, I carry five spares in addition to the one in the camera.

Steve

(...what brand's battery provides 1500? )

please don't exaggerate indefinitely-be totally frivolous, a little exaggeration (within normal limits) is fine and understandable, no Pentax battery is even close to 1500 triggers, for other brands in dslr format (ff and apsc) I don't care because they I don't use-I am a Pentax user and I am interested in that equipment, but that would be a concept and a big plus for Pentax if it had a battery with great autonomy, and then to have a fast charger with usb and / or 12V for that same battery , I'm guided by that logic and not a weak battery, but here we offer an additional fast charger, so in that case that fast charger becomes mandatory for every serious user of Pentax photo equipment who could be satisfied with a classic charger but with a stronger battery, in that case a fast charger would come as an accessory for those who want afterwards even more than a lot gained at the start
08-27-2020, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Tough crowd...
The point is: USB-C charging with PD is not anything which is only related to a charger, but if the GR III is any indication will also be available in camera. This means one less charger and cable to carry with me when going on travel. If I forget the charger it is easier to find someone with a phone charger... I can also use any power pack to charge the camera battery.
I see only positive advancements in that.
By the way, I already have aftermarket chargers for both the GR II and KP with USB (only micro-USB wit 5V), best addition to my travel kit ever...

Last edited by MMVIII; 08-27-2020 at 01:56 PM.
08-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Tough crowd...
The point is: USB-C charging with PD is not anything which is only related to a charger, but if the GR III is any indication will also be available in camera. This means one less charger and cable to carry with me when going on travel. If I forget the charger it is easier to find someone with a phone charger... I can also use any power pack to charge the camera battery.
I see only positive advancements in that.
By the way, I already have aftermarket chargers for both the GR II and KP with USB (only micro-USB wit 5V), best addition to my travel kit ever...
is there a charger for GRIII that allows to charge multiple batteris? I have like 4 batteries now, charing them one by one in the camera is a bit of a pain)