Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2020, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would prefer 5000 shots, but in the mean time, I carry five spares in addition to the one in the camera.

Steve

(...what brand's battery provides 1500? )
In the ancient days it was every 12, 24 or 36 shots between rolls of film. Changing a battery every 300 shots or so is a breeze. A lot quicker too. I too carry lots of spare batteries.

08-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
is there a charger for GRIII that allows to charge multiple batteris? I have like 4 batteries now, charing them one by one in the camera is a bit of a pain)
Search for "Watson Duo". I think this is the model for the GRiii battery. Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 Plates for LI-50B, LI-70B, B&H

It has 2 generic charging ports that hold adapters for the specific batteries you want to charge. You can even charge 2 different battery types at the same time.
08-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Search for "Watson Duo". I think this is the model for the GRiii battery. Watson Duo LCD Charger with 2 Plates for LI-50B, LI-70B, B&H

It has 2 generic charging ports that hold adapters for the specific batteries you want to charge. You can even charge 2 different battery types at the same time.
Awesome, thank you!
08-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #34
Forum Member

Also see this interesting idea Pentax D-li90 battery adapter for the H

08-27-2020, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
please don't exaggerate indefinitely-be totally frivolous, a little exaggeration (within normal limits) is fine and understandable, no Pentax battery is even close to 1500 triggers, for other brands in dslr format (ff and apsc) I don't care because they I don't use-I am a Pentax user and I am interested in that equipment, but that would be a concept and a big plus for Pentax if it had a battery with great autonomy, and then to have a fast charger with usb and / or 12V for that same battery , I'm guided by that logic and not a weak battery, but here we offer an additional fast charger, so in that case that fast charger becomes mandatory for every serious user of Pentax photo equipment who could be satisfied with a classic charger but with a stronger battery, in that case a fast charger would come as an accessory for those who want afterwards even more than a lot gained at the start
OK...no exaggeration. It would be nice if both the K-1 and 645Z used a battery with higher capacity or at least got more shots per charge. Nikon claims 1840 shots or 70 minutes video on the D850 using the EN-EL15A, a battery with similar capacity to the D-LI90. Pentax compares poorly at only 670 for the K-1ii with the D-LI90. There is plenty of room for speculation regarding the difference, though it might be noted that real world experience for D850 users has been a subject of some discussion in Nikon circles. It is given that any increase in capacity will be matched by an increase in size and and/or weight.

There is speculation regarding the D-LI90J (Japan-only) and how it differs from the
D-LI90/D-LI90E used in the rest of the world. Most obvious are the addition of a fourth contact and changes to the housing; the latter making the "J" incompatible with non-J chargers. There are other threads here at PF on the subject. Whether the fast charge with the new USB charger is limited to the "J" version battery is hard to say.

In regards to fast charging...Conventional wisdom is that a regulated trickle charge is preferred. Who knows, perhaps Ricoh has found a way around the rule to allow something equivalent in half the time. USB-C allows up to 20A 5A, but can't imagine attempting that fast.

In case you are interested:
CIPA Battery Capacity Testing Protocol | 2020

Steve

(...am a "serious" Pentax user and have no need for fast charge...go figure...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.
08-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

I have that unit too. What is even better is that they had some that were for some batteries not in use anymore. They were letting them go for about 1/2 off. So I got it and the plates I needed. Been a very handy device. Get a new battery and only $1.99 for the adapter plate.
08-27-2020, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
Also see this interesting idea Pentax D-li90 battery adapter for the H
The Hahnel will do two in 1hr 40min.

Steve

08-27-2020, 06:23 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
curious, technically, isn't it possible to charge it even faster? the battery has 1860mAh capacity, and charges 2.5hrs with this new charger right? my phone has about 3000mAh capacity and charges to 60% in 25 minutes with fast charge. Curious if this kind of tech would eventually make it to the camera world, or there's some technical limitation for these batteries?
The limitation is the chance of thermal runaway inside the battery. If even the tiniest pinpoint nonuniformity inside the battery gets too hot, it starts a chain reaction and the whole battery goes up in flames (the risk starts at 60°C and is critical at 100°C).

Cellphone batteries tend to be very thin and flat. There is no part of the phone battery that is very far from a heat dissipating surface so the chance of a hotspot is low. In contrast, the thick brick shape of a camera battery puts any potential hotspot deeper inside which increases the risk of this kind of failure. This also the reason that camera battery chargers seldom have a lid. The open air design minimizes the chance of the battery growing too hot.
08-27-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Cellphone batteries tend to be very thin and flat. There is no part of the phone battery that is very far from a heat dissipating surface so the chance of a hotspot is low. In contrast, the thick brick shape of a camera battery puts any potential hotspot deeper inside which increases the risk of this kind of failure. This also the reason that camera battery chargers seldom have a lid. The open air design minimizes the chance of the battery growing too hot.
Some camera batteries are thick. Batteries for the “GR” and “Q” are thin, but my Q-7 batteries still do not charge fast - they just dis-charge fast.
08-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The limitation is the chance of thermal runaway inside the battery. If even the tiniest pinpoint nonuniformity inside the battery gets too hot, it starts a chain reaction and the whole battery goes up in flames (the risk starts at 60°C and is critical at 100°C).

I'd imagine tesla batteries are way thicker/bigger than cell phone ones? Laptop batteries are also quite large. Battery packs as well. Not that I don't believe you, just curious how those things control internal temperature?
08-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Minor update from the English side of the Ricoh Japan Web site:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1-2/accessories/index.html

QuoteQuote:
K-BC177 Battery Charger Kit
Battery charger for D-LI90 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery. A discharged battery can be fully charged in about 150 minutes, which is much faster than the K-BC90.
QuoteQuote:
D-BC177 Battery Charger
Battery charger without AC adapter for use with your own USB-C cable and AC adapter.
*Charging time is longer than K-BC177
Apparently the quick-charge brains are in the "brick" and the non-J battery will charge fast too.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-27-2020 at 10:08 PM.
08-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #42
Pentaxian

is there a charger for GRIII that allows to charge multiple batteris? I have like 4 batteries now, charing them one by one in the camera is a bit of a pain)
I am using this type of USB dual slot chargers for GR II and a similar version for KP Akku + Dual-Ladegerät kompatibel mit Ricoh DB-110: Amazon.de: Kamera
The linked version is for GR III on Amazon.de.
No guarantee though on the impact on battery life, but for me it works well.
08-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #43
ogl
Banned

Are there any advantages vs old charger?
08-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Are there any advantages vs old charger?
I can see one advantage for me while travelling, as I wouldn’t have to carry more than one USB-C charger pack.
08-28-2020, 03:02 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GR III uses the Type C charging, so it would make sense for Ricoh to use the tech and incorporate it into a new, flagship DSLR. GR III also uses a touchscreen but I think that would be asking for too much.