Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It would be interesting if you could either use the D-AC166 for your cell phone or use your cell phone power source for the Pentax charger.
It should work. You might even be able to charge the battery from your (non-Apple) phone, with an USB-C to USB-C cable.
But, I don't think it would fast charge your phone unless the phone supports Power Delivery (and not only Quick Charge), and similarly the cellphone power source would not fast charge the battery.

11-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The question might be whether the D-BC177 when paired with a D-AC166 will fast charge...the truth is out there somewhere...
Or with an USB-C power adapter or power bank capable of Power Delivery.
11-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It should work. You might even be able to charge the battery from your (non-Apple) phone, with an USB-C to USB-C cable.
But, I don't think it would fast charge your phone unless the phone supports Power Delivery (and not only Quick Charge), and similarly the cellphone power source would not fast charge the battery.
I’m not thinking of “Quick Charge” / fast charge ..... only of reducing the stuff I travel with {typically I have all night}
11-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #94
Pentaxian

I’m not thinking of “Quick Charge” / fast charge ..... only of reducing the stuff I travel with {typically I have all night}
Any decent USB charger should work.

It seems you need 3A.

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-22-2020 at 02:24 PM.
11-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-AC166 has a built-in (flip-down) plug...no cord on the AC side.
The pictures for the K-AC166 shows the D-AC166. So it's sure K-AC166 and D-AC166 are the same.
AC ADAPTER KIT K-AC166E - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81z9HwmaPtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg...ntaxforums-20&

part of my space savings was in using the same USB power source for my cell phone and Q-7 battery chargers.
It would be interesting if you could either use the D-AC166 for your cell phone or use your cell phone power source for the Pentax charger.
If your Charger supports QC or PD, it could be possible.
The pin layout printed on the back of the D-AC166 is the same as for USB-C.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Receptacles
11-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #96
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The pictures for the K-AC166 shows the D-AC166. So it's sure K-AC166 and D-AC166 are the same.
AC ADAPTER KIT K-AC166E - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81z9HwmaPtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg...ntaxforums-20&
So it appears. The footnote explicitly states the kit is the D-AC166 plus inclusion of the pigtail cable D-CO2.

Steve

(...my German is poor, but that I could make out... )

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-22-2020 at 02:50 PM.
11-23-2020, 02:58 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the looks of the pictures, the new charger looks a bit thinner, but it's hard to tell. Has anyone seen the dimensions posted somewhere?

---------- Post added 23-11-20 at 11:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
From the looks of the pictures, the new charger looks a bit thinner, but it's hard to tell. Has anyone seen the dimensions posted somewhere?
Replying to my own post...

Just found this image which says it all:

Conclusion: not only one cable less, also some volume less. Perfect for travel. Even if I decide not to go for the K-3III, I'll probably get this one ASAP once travel is allowed again...

Wim

11-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

---------- Post added 23-11-20 at 11:02 ----------

Replying to my own post...

Just found this image which says it all:

Conclusion: not only one cable less, also some volume less. Perfect for travel. Even if I decide not to go for the K-3III, I'll probably get this one ASAP once travel is allowed again...

Wim

Interesting, thank you.
11-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Well, the old charger includes the AC power adapter - with the new one, it's separate.
11-23-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, the old charger includes the AC power adapter - with the new one, it's separate.
Indeed, but it will attach to the same universal USB charger that I already have in my bag for the GRIII charger, the Theta Z1, phones, eReaders, ... I expect I'm not alone in this?
11-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #101

Yes, from the picture above it looks like it has a USB port. So the new external charging base would indeed plug into the USB charger and should be compatible with USB chargers with the same output.
11-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Indeed, but it will attach to the same universal USB charger that I already have in my bag for the GRIII charger, the Theta Z1, phones, eReaders, ... I expect I'm not alone in this?
Not at all (although my Kindle and the tablet are micro-USB, but still, that's just a cable).
With in-camera charging, you don't even need the external charger... but e.g. being able to charge your K-1's battery on the go, from a power bank would be neat.
11-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, from the picture above it looks like it has a USB port.
An USB-C port, to be precise.
And it supports Power Delivery (5, 9 and 12V at 3A - although I'm not sure it would draw 3A at 12V).
11-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Perfect for travel. Even if I decide not to go for the K-3III, I'll probably get this one ASAP once travel is allowed again...
At least you're allowed to travel to NRW inside germany. Only disadvantage: you have to get into quarantine when you get back to Belgium.
Euregio Maas-Rhein . Formulaire au sujet des questions d'entrée et de sortie
12-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #105

A good upgrade overall, less cables and used space is always a plus.