Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
doesn't 100$ for a charger seem rather expensive?
That thought crossed my mind also.

12-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #122
Pentaxian

It seems so, but that's not just a charger: is the USB-C powered charger plus a power delivery capable power adapter.
One could get only the USB-C powered charger, and use it with any USB-C power supply i.e. a smartphone's, or a laptop's (for power delivery).
12-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #123
Pentaxian

If you calculate 40€ for the USB PD power supply and 40€ for the battery charger (D-BC90 would cost 45€), you're close to 100€.
12-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #124

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One could get only the USB-C powered charger, and use it with any USB-C power supply i.e. a smartphone's, or a laptop's (for power delivery).
Otherwise a good option, if you already own a decent USB-C power supply.

12-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
If you calculate 40€ for the USB PD power supply and 40€ for the battery charger (D-BC90 would cost 45€), you're close to 100€.
You can get a 'third-party' USB charger from"Kastar" for about $9 if you already own a USB power supply.
People pay for OEM stuff, but Ricoh needs the cash.
12-25-2020, 08:56 AM - 5 Likes   #126
JPT
Pentaxian

There’s some more information from Ricoh today about the new charger and how it works with the K-3 III.

To recap, the two new parts available are a power supply and a battery charger. They are sold separately or together as a kit. My understanding is that the camera will be supplied with the power supply but not the charger, which is how the GR III was sold. There are use cases where you could get by with just the power supply or just the charger depending on what you already own.

The old charger for the battery charged in 6.5 hours. They are comparing with the existing charger that many of us have because it was supplied with the K-7, K-5, K-5 II, K-3, K-3 II, K-01, K-1, K-1 II, 645D and 645Z.

When the power supply is attached to the camera, and the battery is charging in-camera (not using the charger), the charge time is 4.5 hours. During in-camera charging, the camera can still be used for shooting.

When the new power supply and charger are used together to charge the battery outside the camera, the charge time is 2.5 hours, so a 2.6 times improvement over the old charger.

You can charge by attaching the charger to a power supply you already own, directly to a computer or to a portable battery by USB (i.e. not using the Ricoh Power supply). I guess the charge time will depend on the combination. Ricoh can’t confirm that every device will work, but most do.

In addition, if you have the USB-C charger for the GR III, WG6 or G900 cameras, the new power supply can be used with that charger as well.

So overall, it offers quite a bit of new flexibility. This information is from the following video that was uploaded today.

The video is in Japanese and as usual the YouTube generated subtitles make a complete mess of it.
12-25-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
My understanding is that the camera will be supplied with the power supply but not the charger, which is how the GR III was sold.
That would be an odd choice for a newcomer...

12-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me the third party chargers and batteries would be acceptable and meet most photographers' needs. Despite the slight potential for shorter battery life and maybe shorter charger life. The probability of problems would be quite small.
12-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Well, with the power supply alone you can always charge the battery. Thus, such a package makes sense from the completenes point of view. And also from the point of assuring the use of the perfectly tested and dedicated brand power supply for this camera.
existing users who have already this type of battery can always continue to use their charger for external battery charging.
But, I agree, realistically viewed most people probably already have a capable USB power supply and would profit more from a charger...
12-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There’s some more information from Ricoh today about the new charger and how it works with the K-3 III.

The old charger for the battery charged in 6.5 hours. They are comparing with the existing charger that many of us have because it was supplied with the K-7, K-5, K-5 II, K-3, K-3 II, K-01, K-1, K-1 II, 645D and 645Z.
When the power supply is attached to the camera, and the battery is charging in-camera (not using the charger), the charge time is 4.5 hours. During in-camera charging, the camera can still be used for shooting.
When the new power supply and charger are used together to charge the battery outside the camera, the charge time is 2.5 hours, so a 2.6 times improvement over the old charger.
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Charging times comparision table:

K-BC90...=-.-400.mA @ 8.4V.= 5.3 h charging time ("up to 320 minutes", source: Pentax K-01 manual; "in about 390 minutes", source: ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1-2/accessories/index.html)
D-BC177 =.800? mA @ 8,4V = 4.5 h charging time (4.5 hours without the Pentax USB Type-C cable)
K-BC177 = 1500 mA @ 8,4V = 2.5 h charging time (1500mA, source: ricoh-imaging.at/de/ladegeraete/group/33/body/overview/akku-ladeschale-dbc177.html)

The D-Li90 battery has 1.860 mAh at 7.2V = 13,392 Wh capacity.
With the "old" K-BC90 charger a complete charge can take 5.3 to 6.5 hours.
The K-BC177 consists of the D-KBC177 charger itself and the K-AC166 AC Adapter (5V@3A, 9V@3A and 12V@3A)

USB Type-C is becoming the standard for mobile phones in the European Union:
[Update: Voted Passed, Law Pending] The EU will vote to force all smartphones to adopt USB-C

Last edited by angerdan; 03-19-2021 at 08:46 AM.
12-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #131

Right, the wireless connection user manual included in the FCC documentation lists only the battery, USB power adapter, power plug and USB cable I-USB166 as included in the box for the K-3iii. From what I gather from the video linked about a power bank or USB supply of up to 12 amps can be used with the BC177. Not sure what the max rated amps are to the camera body. Should be about the same I would imagine but the device will only draw as much amps as it needs.
12-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #132
Pentaxian

It allows you to charge the battery in-camera.
12-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Well, with the power supply alone you can always charge the battery.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It allows you to charge the battery in-camera.
In that case it'll be a bit less odd not having a dedicated charger, but still...
12-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder how people would feel about the bundling of accessories if every device came with an itemized receipt of the costs of all the included parts. Nothing is "free" even if it's included -- the bundled accessories also increase the bundled price.

With in-camera charging, most camera buyers will never need (and certainly would not want to pay for a separate charger). Even if someone buys a spare battery, they might not want a separate charger, especially if they travel. It's only the small segment of intensive shooters who really need to charge batteries at the same time as using the camera that would need a separate charger. Likewise, people who want to charge two batteries at once would need a separate charger plus a second USB power brick and cables.
12-26-2020, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will this be a standard item supplied withy future cameras? The price at B&H seems reasonable.
$99.95 US for rapid charger: Pentax K-BC177U Rapid Battery Charger Kit 37874 B&H Photo Video
$54.95 US for the USB travel charger portion only: Pentax D-BC177 Travel Charger 37871 B&H Photo Video