Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 03:19 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Ricoh Charger

From our Twitter friend @Nokishita_c..

"Ricoh's new charger "D-BC177" (adapter kit "K-BC177J") is for D-LI90P, and it seems that it can fully charge a discharged battery in less than half the time (about 150 minutes). Expected release date is late November 2020. "

Twitter

08-26-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
From our Twitter friend @Nokishita_c..

"Ricoh's new charger "D-BC177" (adapter kit "K-BC177J") is for D-LI90P, and it seems that it can fully charge a discharged battery in less than half the time (about 150 minutes). Expected release date is late November 2020. "

Twitter
That is the Japan-only version of the D-Li90, right?

Steve
08-26-2020, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is likely a leak from someone at A Japanese Retailer, so it’s unsurprising that it only mentions the Japanese model of the battery. It doesn't mean that the international battery won’t be supported in my opinion.

I think this is all about making the battery and charger suitable for in camera USB charging, without actually moving to a new battery shape. It’s in preparation for the K-new.

The fact that this is going to be available in late November might be a big hint to the actual sales date of the K-new.
08-26-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
and a follow up!

"Ricoh has added a USB-C compatible D-LI90P battery charger as an accessory. "

Twitter

?????? / PENTAX K-1 Mark II / ??????? / ?? | RICOH IMAGING

08-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool!!
08-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

and a follow up!

Twitter

Good, since my car is a source of USB power.
08-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

and a follow up!

Twitter

The specs of the charger should give a clue regarding whether the tech might be supported for in-camera use.

Steve

08-27-2020, 12:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

From the Ricoh Japan Website it will be available with/without the AC adaptor:

???????? D-BC177 | RICOH IMAGING
Scheduled to be released in late November 2020
Compatible battery
D-LI90, D-LI90P
Battery charger adapter kit K-BC177J without AC adapter. You can use it with your existing USB-C cable and AC adapter.
???????????????? K-BC177J | RICOH IMAGING
Scheduled to be released in late November 2020
Compatible battery
D-LI90, D-LI90P
Charger for lithium-ion battery D-LI90P. You can fully charge a discharged battery in about 150 minutes.
The images aren't clear enough to read the spec of the AC adaptor, but it looks substantial.
08-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
The images aren't clear enough to read the spec of the AC adaptor, but it looks substantial.
Could it be a K-AC166?
08-27-2020, 02:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Could be Ricoh is going for the same approach as for the GR III? The GR III allows charging through USB, so you can do without a dedicated charger and use any regular USB-C charger like the one for your phone. Unfortunately that means the dedicated charger is no longer included in the box and needs to be purchased as an accessory, which I did. Being able to charge a spare battery while being out taking pictures at the same time is important to me.

Except for the dedicated charger needing to be purchased separately, I like this evolution. It allows for more compact setup (fewer cables and power connectors), and also increases independence from the power net in the field, as it allows charging batteries from a power bank. Actually, I had been hoping for a USB-C compatible charger for my D-LI90 batteries, so I hope this turns out to be the case.

Wim
08-27-2020, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Forum Member

Release date is November 30 in Japan

Amazon Price is ¥5370 (about 20% off list) for the base (without USB-C power supply) for use with your own USB-C cable and charger.

Or you can buy the additional K-BC177J USB-C power supply and cable for another ¥12,530

Supports D-LI90 and D-LI90P

Approximate charging time - USB cable charging: about 4.5 hours, fast charging (when using K-BC177J): about 2.5 hours

Pictures attached
Attached Images

08-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Characteristic attention to meaningful detail, even with regard to accessories. Gotta love the evolution of their charger.
08-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

curious, technically, isn't it possible to charge it even faster? the battery has 1860mAh capacity, and charges 2.5hrs with this new charger right? my phone has about 3000mAh capacity and charges to 60% in 25 minutes with fast charge. Curious if this kind of tech would eventually make it to the camera world, or there's some technical limitation for these batteries?
08-27-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
curious, technically, isn't it possible to charge it even faster? the battery has 1860mAh capacity, and charges 2.5hrs with this new charger right? my phone has about 3000mAh capacity and charges to 60% in 25 minutes with fast charge. Curious if this kind of tech would eventually make it to the camera world, or there's some technical limitation for these batteries?
The same as with phones: such fast charging damages the battery more than normal charging. I expect to use each camera battery more than 4 or 500 times before it becomes unusable, so I could do without fast charging (particularly considering that two batteries should last more than a day in the field and you can always charge overnight).
08-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll buy one

Even with the penalty of degrading the batteries. There are times when you just gotta have a faster charge. Reminds me that I need to get several more batteries...