Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 01:08 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Additional pictures from the 'J limited Online Event 2020 Morning & Night':

Ricoh shows J Limited versions of Pentax K-1 II and Ricoh GRIII cameras - Pentax Rumors

Unfortunately those are blown-up screen captures of a low-definition Zoom broadcast, hence the pictures are poor. We should get much better ones shortly since the same devices will be showcased at the 'J limited Real Event 2020 “West & East"' which will take place at the end of the month in Osaka and in mid-December in Tokyo.

'Gundam' prism cover lid compared to the original prism cover.

'Gundam' prism cover lid, left side.

Embossed AOCO logo on replacement rubber.

Wood grip samples, Ricoh GR III.

11-10-2020, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Additional pictures from the 'J limited Online Event 2020 Morning & Night':

Ricoh shows J Limited versions of Pentax K-1 II and Ricoh GRIII cameras - Pentax Rumors

Unfortunately those are blown-up screen captures of a low-definition Zoom broadcast, hence the pictures are poor. We should get much better ones shortly since the same devices will be showcased at the 'J limited Real Event 2020 “West & East"' which will take place at the end of the month in Osaka and in mid-December in Tokyo.

'Gundam' prism cover lid compared to the original prism cover.

'Gundam' prism cover lid, left side.

Embossed AOCO logo on replacement rubber.

Wood grip samples, Ricoh GR III.
The picture with several wood grips look like sushi to me.
11-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could it be possible that one of those is bone/antler rather than wood?
11-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
I don't like much those parts. Perforated leather though

11-11-2020, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #155
Pentaxian

With all this (wooden) grip modifications I still don't know why they don't just bring some wooden grip variants for the KP, which actually is ready made for exchangable grips... come on... make regular wooden KP-grips
11-11-2020, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
It rather looks mushy to me but it sounds almost the same.
11-11-2020, 05:01 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Could it be possible that one of those is bone/antler rather than wood?
I don't think so since their partner is Miroku Techno Wood and, well..., their products are made of wood, not bone nor antler.

11-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
With all this (wooden) grip modifications I still don't know why they don't just bring some wooden grip variants for the KP, which actually is ready made for exchangable grips... come on... make regular wooden KP-grips
You responded to your own comment. The KP was made for replaceable grips, so the KP case was easy.
For the K-1, they had to come up with something that would fit over the existing grip - would snap in place or otherwise hug the existing grip - not easy with actual wood.
11-11-2020, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #159

From what I saw in the "Day" presentation it looked to me that the rubber cover was replaced leaving room on the lower half of the grip for the wooden piece.

"visible" K-1 at the Ricoh Booth CP+ 2016
11-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
From what I saw in the "Day" presentation it looked to me that the rubber cover was replaced leaving room on the lower half of the grip for the wooden piece.

"visible" K-1 at the Ricoh Booth CP+ 2016
If only I had these pictures help me when I tried disassembling my K-1...
11-11-2020, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You responded to your own comment. The KP was made for replaceable grips, so the KP case was easy.
For the K-1, they had to come up with something that would fit over the existing grip - would snap in place or otherwise hug the existing grip - not easy with actual wood.
The thing is that Ricoh (or anyone else, AFAIK) does not sell wooden KP grips despite it being trivial to do so.
11-11-2020, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The thing is that Ricoh (or anyone else, AFAIK) does not sell wooden KP grips despite it being trivial to do so.
I think if Pentax cameras were popular enough, there might be an ecosystem for these kinds of grips/mods/accessories like it does for Leica. Aside from a few Etsy stores selling re-upholstered leather for some of the classic K1000/MX models, there's really not much choices for customization out there.
11-11-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Exactly. On the big chinese marketplaces (Ali...) you can find many mods for various cameras. L-brackets with wooden grips exist even for the GRIII. Unfortunately not for the GRII and, what puzzles me most not the KP, which would be ideally suited for such things, or at least grip replacements without brackets. Now Ricoh should just use this opportunity to bring some customization for a camera that actually inherits this option in the concept of the body.
For the GR series I would also be looking for metal adapters for the wideangle (and macro) adapters or for filters. I don't get it, why Ricoh has such a nice camera ant then lets you attach a fine metal wideangle adapter on a plastic tube. It wobbles and the plastic thread is not what I would expect for durability. Come on Ricoh, it's fine to bring cool brass tops, but just brush up and fully exploit the existing modification possibilities.
11-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #164
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the GR series I would also be looking for metal adapters for the wideangle (and macro) adapters or for filters. I don't get it, why Ricoh has such a nice camera ant then lets you attach a fine metal wideangle adapter on a plastic tube. It wobbles and the plastic thread is not what I would expect for durability. Come on Ricoh, it's fine to bring cool brass tops, but just brush up and fully exploit the existing modification possibilities.
If it wobbles, it doesn't fit right - it needs better engineering, which does not depend on the materials used.
Pentaxians seem to be allergic to "plastic"; honestly, when I was a Canon user, I had several lenses that lasted me the entire eleven years, despite their having "plastic" mounts.
They make airplanes out of these materials - there is no reason these 'space age' materials shouldn't work just fine for our uses if they are designed properly.
11-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Agreed.