Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2021, 05:57 AM   #241
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Mr Bloomfield is a self appointed reviewer with a small following. He has done some good videos, he did a very good review of the 50-200 (which I like) but his comparison of the K1 & A7iii had a distinct lean, hardly surprising as he announced at the end that he was off to Sony. (I do hope his shutter didn't fail). The video in question was very down on Pentax, a point he refused to accept despite saying (after the announced delay) that the K3iii wouldn't be out until the end of the year, if at all, and the HD FA limiteds were a cheap rehash by a company on its uppers. He was particularly scathing about the 31mm. I presume he is still under the illusion that it was a balanced and justified report. I don't mind criticism if its balanced, considered or justified, I just can't be doing with petty digs and clickbait
Thanks! That saves me having to watch any of it.

He sounds like a certain type of person who buys into another system and it's such a big deal to him that he thinks everyone else needs to hear about it.

Limited editions are a tradition for Pentax going back decades. It's never had an impact on their technical development. It just gives them a way to squeeze a bit more money out of each model from the people who enjoy that kind of thing.

06-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eh... if it didn't cost an arm, a leg, and a trip to Japan I'd be all over that gorgeous dark grey K-1 J with the cherry wooden grip.

[Incidentally, Canon just copied the stamped rubber for their R3]

Regarding Bloomfield, I seem to recall he was quite active in the Facebook group, no?
06-24-2021, 12:36 AM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

Regarding Bloomfield, I seem to recall he was quite active in the Facebook group, no?
I think so. He shot landscapes with a K1 and is quite a good photographer

Last edited by Cerebum; 06-24-2021 at 12:50 AM.
07-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #244
Pentaxian

Original Poster
J Limited Online Event 2021 | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by TKO:
J limited Online Event Announcement

Hello, this is TKO.

It's been a while since we last spoke to you.
I hope you are doing well since the spread of the new coronavirus (COVID-19).
I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all those who have been working in this field.
Let's continue to work together to get through this situation.

Thanks to your support, we were able to launch J limited 01 on 30 April.
We would like to thank all of our fans for their support, and we would like to invite you to an online event to give you a better insight into the J limited brand.

The event will be called 'J limited online event 2021 "J limited Night"'. We would like to invite you to this event.
We hope that many of you will be able to join us, therefore we have decided to hold it on a Saturday evening.
We hope you will be able to join us and enjoy your limited time with us.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Come 1%er, go for it!

(...)

If you would like to attend, please register using the form below.

(...)

07-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #245
JPT
Pentaxian

I might attend this. I guess it will be more of TKO's very idiosyncratic talk about his design ideas and maybe one or two more concepts. The Japanese explanation makes it sound like they might be showcasing some user-made mods this time.
07-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just 'for laughs' I looked at eBay.
They had 24 KP's listed - 5 of them were the KP-J version! {most were around $1200}, so it really is available to those of us who do not live in Japan.
07-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #247
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Just 'for laughs' I looked at eBay.
They had 24 KP's listed - 5 of them were the KP-J version! {most were around $1200}, so it really is available to those of us who do not live in Japan.
I've noticed in Japan that standard UPs are rather uncommon on the second hand market in Japan. I think it's because they went out of production when there was still demand, but the K-3 III was so much more expensive that people are still hunting for KPs as something more affordable.

The KP-Js are nicely finished, especially the blue one. For people who like that kind of things, and like the nostalgia of the AOCO logo, it could be worth it.

07-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I've noticed in Japan that standard UPs are rather uncommon on the second hand market in Japan. I think it's because they went out of production when there was still demand, but the K-3 III was so much more expensive that people are still hunting for KPs as something more affordable.

The KP-Js are nicely finished, especially the blue one. For people who like that kind of things, and like the nostalgia of the AOCO logo, it could be worth it.
In fact, now that the K-3iii is a known quantity, people can compare the known KP to the known K-3iii and make a real comparison.
If people actually want the "flagship" things {battery, top-side LCD, buffer} or the new focusing, or the new prism, they can pay for it; otherwise, they can get the KP.
07-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In fact, now that the K-3iii is a known quantity, people can compare the known KP to the known K-3iii and make a real comparison.
If people actually want the "flagship" things {battery, top-side LCD, buffer} or the new focusing, or the new prism, they can pay for it; otherwise, they can get the KP.
Well, 13 of them can lol. I haven't seen an actual comparison yet but I can't imagine the image quality being significantly better than the KP. I was shooting with the FA 35mm f2 and the images were excellent, quality wise
07-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #250
Pentaxian

Well, 13 of them can lol. I haven't seen an actual comparison yet but I can't imagine the image quality being significantly better than the KP. I was shooting with the FA 35mm f2 and the images were excellent, quality wise
The K-3iii does have certain advantages. Putting aside the ‘flagship things’, even I might purchase a K-90 if it had the same eye-focusing, and were priced at or below $1000.
Others might be attracted by the way it handles older lenses.
Neither of these would affect IQ, other than in certain very limited cases {such as birds in flight} - and the K-3iii will already be superior in those very limited cases also.
07-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #251

Well the KP is discontinued so that will make it a little harder to get.

It will be interesting to see what the next APS-C body will be. Whether it will be along the lines of the K-30/50/70 or more like the KP.
07-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Well the KP is discontinued so that will make it a little harder to get.

It will be interesting to see what the next APS-C body will be. Whether it will be along the lines of the K-30/50/70 or more like the KP.
I’m expecting it to be a K-70 follow-up, since the K-70 is still in production but the KP isn’t.
07-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m expecting it to be a K-70 follow-up, since the K-70 is still in production but the KP isn’t.
I think the K1-3 will be the next camera but a new K70 (K90 is a good call) will be after that. The KP was a premium build whilst lacking some flagship features. Despite having a smaller battery, one card slot and no top LED it is still a viable alternative to the K3iii and they wouldn't want that. Pentax has a habit of bringing out quirky cameras and features (K1 screen, KP grips, ks2 articulating screen, ks1, ) it will be interesting to see if this continues
07-03-2021, 04:47 AM   #254
Pentaxian

I think the K1-3 will be the next camera but a new K70 (K90 is a good call) will be after that. The KP was a premium build whilst lacking some flagship features. Despite having a smaller battery, one card slot and no top LED it is still a viable alternative to the K3iii and they wouldn't want that. Pentax has a habit of bringing out quirky cameras and features (K1 screen, KP grips, ks2 articulating screen, ks1, ) it will be interesting to see if this continues
A K-70 follow up has two advantages: (1) it clearly wouldn’t compete with the K-3iii, even if it were priced under $1000 and did have the K-3iii’s eye focus, (2) continuing the articulating screen, it would have what videographers want if it continued the 4K video
07-03-2021, 05:01 AM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-70 follow up has two advantages: (1) it clearly wouldn’t compete with the K-3iii, even if it were priced under $1000 and did have the K-3iii’s eye focus, (2) continuing the articulating screen, it would have what videographers want if it continued the 4K video
That really makes sense. It will be interesting to see if Ricoh feel there is a big enough market in our niche to sustain two ovf apsc cameras