Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #16

I'm 32 and I prefer OVF to EVF. Old school is still cool, so no worries!

09-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Old school is still cool, so no worries!
I'm not so sure.
When we toured Lafitte National Park near New Orleans, a guy on the tour took a burst of three or four shots for every shot I took.
Most were of things not moving - or moving slowly, like alligators - so I couldn't see a film photographer wasting film like that, and he is not unusual in my experience.
09-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm interested in what body that is in the photo. Not a KP, K-1ii, or K-70.
Not as it is, no. AFAIK no DSLR has a recessed X-Sync port (that's the one, right?). It's either a new camera or a pretty comprehensive mod of an existing one (which means either the K-1 or the 645Z, nothing else makes sense IMO).
09-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
1%er refers to motorcycle gangs like Hells Angels... They self identified as 1%ers after the main US motorcycle organisation published a statement that motorcyclists are good people except the 1% causing trouble. This has since expanded into custom culture (as in custom bikes and cars) and partially lost it's meaning. At least in Japan it seems. So my guess it now stands for custom mods with a tinge of rebel and connotations to custom bike culture.
Thanks for that clarification, that makes sense. Though there is an irony in that today the people purchasing OCC custom choppers and brand new shiny
Harley's straight from the factory are much more likely to be the 1% rich, (or better). Yes, the greasy, grubby fringe modders are still out there, but like tattoos,
custom bikes have more or less been adopted by the mainstream. I contend the image of the biker on the fringe of society is today more myth than reality,
which IMO makes the whole '1%er' doubly out of place as a branding image.

09-07-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not as it is, no. AFAIK no DSLR has a recessed X-Sync port (that's the one, right?). It's either a new camera or a pretty comprehensive mod of an existing one (which means either the K-1 or the 645Z, nothing else makes sense IMO).
At a guess, the K-New? J Limited version of the K-New would be the most logical thing to cross promote the launch of the new camera.
09-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Thanks for that clarification, that makes sense. Though there is an irony in that today the people purchasing OCC custom choppers and brand new shiny
Harley's straight from the factory are much more likely to be the 1% rich, (or better). Yes, the greasy, grubby fringe modders are still out there, but like tattoos,
custom bikes have more or less been adopted by the mainstream. I contend the image of the biker on the fringe of society is today more myth than reality,
which IMO makes the whole '1%er' doubly out of place as a branding image.
Japan has often tended to adopt whatever they think looks or sounds cool from Western cultures - I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give it a lot of thought. If it's like the KP-J, then it's for their own market anyway so I doubt they took into account foreign sensitivities.

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 07:50 AM ----------

At a guess, the K-New? J Limited version of the K-New would be the most logical thing to cross promote the launch of the new camera.
Possible, I guess? It would certainly be a higher impact decision, but it would also be a first to release two different "special" editions (Silver + J Limited) at launch... hmm. If Covid messed the release schedule and the K-New has been silently delayed from the intended timeframe, then it makes sense not to delay the (hypothetical) K-New J Limited just because.
09-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
1%er refers to motorcycle gangs like Hells Angels... They self identified as 1%ers after the main US motorcycle organisation published a statement that motorcyclists are good people except the 1% causing trouble.
When I have heard the expression "1%'s" in the US it has been used in a context that would be largely unacceptable here - it is a political reference to the people who have "too much wealth", so they can to afford to 'drop' a few thousand on a 'trinket' such as a fancy camera that is produced in limited quantities.

09-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Knew = KJ?
09-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Harley's straight from the factory are much more likely to be the 1% rich, (or better)
I very much doubt that people rich enought to be part of the top 1% buy Harley's. They are unlikely to be able to move freely *at all*. They are mindbogglingly rich at a scale completely beyond consumer products. By the way the guy who allegedly coined the phrase 99% and 1%, David Graeber, died recently.
09-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
To be honest, I like the original KP than the J. I like the look of a retro camera. I held one with the large grip and, it's not that bad to hold. I would even think that a large grip and a battery grip would give a good balance. Still, holding a K-5II and a K-3II is much much better.
I actually briefly considered a "KP J" at one time - but I already had a 'silver KP' and there was no functional reason to get one, even though I managed to crack the flash housing on mine and accidentally glued it down while using Gorilla Glue to 'stabilize' it.
09-07-2020, 08:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Maybe the new crop body will be called J-1?

K (mount) for full frame and J (from Japan) for crop
09-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Maybe the new crop body will be called J-1?

K (mount) for full frame and J (from Japan) for crop
I think Ricoh has established any camera they produce with a K mount will start with the letter K in the model name.

Let's not get into another round of speculation of what the name of the new crop body could be. We've covered that ground in other threads and many of the same old suggestions that came prior to the release of the yet unnamed K-1, K-70 and KP come up over and over again.
09-07-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Knew = KJ?
It would be a very big surprise if they took every aspect of the new camera down that rabbit hole. I think the "J" of J Limited is quite
independent of whatever the K-New will be called.

At this point I'm thinking the K-New may very likely >not< be a 'K' camera and may very likely have an all together new name. After all,
Pentax camera names are currently at a dead end. The only logical name for the K-New would be 'K-2'. That could be a possibility,
but it still leaves the problem to the next flagship. Might as well cut ties with the 'K' names and start anew.
09-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

It would be a very big surprise if they took every aspect of the new camera down that rabbit hole. I think the "J" of J Limited is quite

At this point I'm thinking the K-New may very likely >not< be a 'K' camera and may very likely have an all together new name. After all,
Pentax camera names are currently at a dead end. The only logical name for the K-New would be 'K-2'. That could be a possibility,
but it still leaves the problem to the next flagship. Might as well cut ties with the 'K' names and start anew.
or use a name like "KR".
09-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Usually there's not much logic there in their name choices so...