Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2020, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pentax K-1 Mark II, custom grip, custom prism cover, replacement rubber.

11-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Woah! That looks interesting. Same wood colour as the KP-J no?
11-07-2020, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pentax K-1 Mark II, custom grip, additional lid à la Gundam around the custom prism cover, replacement rubber, custom hot shoe cover.

This is TKO, the designer behind the J limited venture. Sorry for the poor quality; the other pictures come from a camera dedicated to filming the showcased pieces of equipment, this one comes from the webcam that recorded TKO. Once more, note the sculpting on the left side.

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-10-2020 at 01:03 AM.
11-07-2020, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Last but not least, on the left a Pentax K-1 with the AOCo logo on its custom prism cover.

Note also the difference in colour between the two mount flanges: the standard one on the K-1 (left) and the custom one made out of Citizen Watch's Duratect DLC material, a titanium-based material coated in diamond-like carbon (hence DLC), on the K-1 Mark II (right).

11-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Woah! That looks interesting. Same wood colour as the KP-J no?
It seems so. Same provider most probably: Miroku Techno Wood Co. Ltd, the manufacturer that produces the wood steering wheels for Lexus cars and has designed the wood-grain handgrip options for the KP.

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-11-2020 at 04:58 AM.
11-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright, I like the wooden grip part and even the long covers. I think the only detail I don't particularly enjoy is the "perforated leather" rubber replacement... couldn't really say why though

Thanks a lot for the images, Mistral .
11-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #127
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the pictures Mistral75. Did they show both a modified K-1 and a K-1ii?

11-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They did, see the pictures above and on previous page.
11-07-2020, 08:02 PM - 5 Likes   #129
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let me add some more details to the images Mistral75 posted. Thanks for that, by the way.

They started by stating up front that this event was not related to the K-3 III and they don’t have anything to add to that.

The main speaker TKO is a designer, but not from any external agency. He has been with Pentax since before any of the takeover and mergers. He has been in charge of a lot of the more unconventional design products done by Pentax. I’m not going to go into that because I did a thread about that about a year ago. It turns out that Iwasaki-san is not Tetsuya Iwasaki. It’s a reasonably common name and they have two Iwasaki-sans in the division.

The first thing TKO covered was the J-Limited brand concept. They plan to make the custom versions of cameras, accessories and collaborations with other companies. In the accessories category, they mentioned camera “parts”, but TKO mentioned this has been difficult because they don’t know how many they should expect to produce. I’m not sure what “parts” means, but one thing I can imagine is the grips sold separately to existing KP owners and things like hot shoe covers. Your guess is as good as mine.

He also mentioned his thanks to people who have steadily been ordering the KP J-Limited over the last year. It seems to have been successful enough to warrant new products. There was no mention of the markets where they sell J-Limited - it is currently Japan only as far as I know. I think it is safest to assume the products shown at this event will be limited to Japan too.

K-1 II J-Limited
- The grip is made of American walnut and made by Miroku Ltd. The bottom part is shaped to make it easier to hold for people with big hands whose little finger falls below the main grip.
- The rubber is a spotted pattern, similar to the K-30. The indent in the rubber on the side your left hand holds is designed to improve the grip, especially when holding the camera downward to review photos on screen. This kind of ridge was on the K10D/K20D but lost in subsequent models, and TKO obviously misses it. It’s on this side where they’re adding a small AOCO logo
- The mount is made of Duratect by Citizen. They showed the dark grey colour and one with a yellow-gold coloring, and it does actually have gold in it. This material is made for the exterior of Citizen watches, so it has a great finish. You can see the dark grey and gold versions of the Duratect mount very well on one of Mistral75’s images. TKO showed how a sliver of the gold colour is visible when viewing a mounted lens from the side, and it makes “any lens look like star lens”.
- The prism cover is like the KP, but they have another even larger cover that goes over the first cover. I think they realize this is a pretty eccentric thing to do, but it is part of the unnecessary, playful nature of the product. TKO pointed out the optical illusion that ironically the extra covers make the camera look smaller overall.
- In addition to the Kazutoshi Yoshimura preset mode, they are likely to add a new photographer mode in collaboration with Takamichi Seo.
- I was a little surprised that they only showed a black version. When they showed the KP J-limited prototypes at CP+ 2019, they had multiple colours available.
- I got the impression that this one is pretty much definitely going to happen, but some details of the design are still under consideration.

J-Limited strap
- Black and red coloring, with the J-limited logo on the leather bit
- Using some kind of traditional Japanese thread for the red fabric, which is not easy to work with
- Not much else to say about this. Looked nice enough

J-Limited belt, holster
- Made by a Japanese saddle manufacturer
- Looks very solidly made
- I couldn’t help but notice it is designed for a K-1 with the 28-105. Any lens bigger would not fit in the holster
- It also looked like it would be ridiculously expensive

J-Limited GR III
- Has a black-painted brass top plate like the MX1 compact. It’s worth noting that TKO was on the MX1 design team. When the paint wears off, it will show its age gracefully. A lot of people carry their GR IIIs in their pocket, and they may like this kind of aging.
- Has a Miroku wood grip. As well as the charcoal black wood grip, TKO showed manufacturing samples from Miroku in other colours.
- It’s notable that this is not a Pentax product, so J-Limited is not only for Pentax.

Finally, they mentioned that these products are not for immediate launch. We should expect something around next spring. Note that they currently have a Silver K-1 II and a GR Street edition to sell. It probably makes sense not to release too many versions of the same camera at a time.

Last edited by JPT; 11-07-2020 at 08:40 PM.
11-07-2020, 08:34 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Let me add some more details to the images Mistral75 posted. Thanks for that, by the way.

They started by stating up front that this event was not related to the K-3 III and they don’t have anything to add to that.

The main speaker TKO is a designer, but not from any external agency. He has been with Pentax since before any of the takeover and mergers. He has been in charge of a lot of the more unconventional design products done by Pentax. I’m not going to go into that because I did a thread about that about a year ago. It tiers out that Iwasaki-san is not Tetsuya Iwasaki. It’s a reasonably common name and they have two Iwasaki-sans in the division.

The first thing TKO covered was the J-Limited brand concept. They plan to make the custom versions of cameras, accessories and collaborations with other companies. In the accessories category, they mentioned camera “parts”, but TKO mentioned this has been difficult because they don’t know how many they should expect to produce. I’m not sure what “parts” means, but one thing I can imagine is the grips sold separately to existing KP owners and things like hot shoe covers. Your guess is as good as mine.

He also mentioned his thanks to people who have steadily been ordering the KP J-Limited over the last year. It seems to have been successful enough to warrant new products. There was no mention of the markets where they sell J-Limited - it is currently Japan only as far as I know. I think it is safest to assume the products shown at this event will be limited to Japan too.

K-1 II J-Limited
- The grip is made of American walnut and made by Miroku Ltd. The bottom part is shaped to make it easier to hold for people with big hands whose little finger falls below the main grip.
- The rubber is a spotted pattern, similar to the K-30. The indent in the rubber on the side your left hand holds is designed to improve the grip, especially when holding the camera downward to review photos on screen. This kind of ridge was on the K10D/K20D but lost in subsequent models, and TKO obviously misses it. It’s on this side where they’re adding a small AOCO logo
- The mount is made of Duratect by Citizen. They showed the dark grey colour and one withe a yellow-gold coloring, and it does actually have gold in it. This material is made for the exterior of Citizen watches, so it has a great finish. You can see the dark grey and gold versions of the Duratect mount very well on one of Mistral75’s images. TKO showed how a sliver of the gold colour is visible when viewing a mounted lens from the side, and it makes “any lens look like star lens”.
- The prism cover is like the KP, but they have another even larger cover that goes over the first cover. I think they realize this is a pretty eccentric thing to do, but it is part of the unnecessary, playful nature of the product. TKO pointed out the optical illusion that ironically the extra covers make the camera look smaller overall.
- In addition to the Kazutoshi Yoshimura preset mode, they are likely to add a new photographer mode in collaboration with Takamichi Seo.
- I was a little surprised that they only showed a black version. When they showed the KP J-limited prototypes at CP+ 2019, they had multiple colours available.
- I got the impression that this one is pretty much definitely going to happen, but some details of the design are still under consideration.

J-Limited strap
- Using some kind of traditional Japanese thread for the red fabric, which is not easy to work with

J-Limited belt, holster
- I couldn’t help but notice it is designed for a K-1 with the 28-105. Any lens bigger would not fit in the holster

J-Limited GR III
- Has a black-painted brass top plate like the MX1 compact. It’s worth noting that TKO was on the MX1 design team. When the paint wears off, it will show its age gracefully. A lot of people carry their GR IIIs in their pocket, and they may like this kind of aging.
- Has a Miroku wood grip. As well as the charcoal black wood grip, TKO showed manufacturing samples from Miroku in other colours.
- It’s notable that this is not a Pentax product, so J-Limited is not only for Pentax.

Finally, they mentioned that these products are not for immediate launch. We should expect something around next spring. Note that they currently have a Silver K-1 II and a GR Street edition to sell. It probably makes sense not to release too many version of the same camera at a time.
Thanks, JPT!
11-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #131
Pentaxian

J-Limited GR III
Brass top GR... WANT !!
11-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #132
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They did, see the pictures above and on previous page.
Thank you for the confirmation. I was surprised when I saw both models in the pictures, just wanted another set of eyes to confirm it.
11-07-2020, 09:43 PM   #133
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main speaker TKO is a designer, but not from any external agency. He has been with Pentax since before any of the takeover and mergers. He has been in charge of a lot of the more unconventional design products done by Pentax. I’m not going to go into that because I did a thread about that about a year ago. It turns out that Iwasaki-san is not Tetsuya Iwasaki. It’s a reasonably common name and they have two Iwasaki-sans in the division.

K-1 II J-Limited
- The mount is made of Duratect by Citizen. They showed the dark grey colour and one with a yellow-gold coloring, and it does actually have gold in it. This material is made for the exterior of Citizen watches, so it has a great finish. You can see the dark grey and gold versions of the Duratect mount very well on one of Mistral75’s images. TKO showed how a sliver of the gold colour is visible when viewing a mounted lens from the side, and it makes “any lens look like star lens”.

J-Limited strap

J-Limited belt, holster

J-Limited GR III

Finally, they mentioned that these products are not for immediate launch. We should expect something around next spring. Note that they currently have a Silver K-1 II and a GR Street edition to sell. It probably makes sense not to release too many versions of the same camera at a time.
Thank you JPT - lots of good info added in.
11-08-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Brass top GR... WANT !!
Yes, yes yes!!
11-08-2020, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Brass top GR... WANT !!
You tell me, the GRiii already looks good, the SE looks *better* and the J-Limited looks absolutely gorgeous