Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 12:09 AM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The J-Limited cameras are designed by a team of Ricoh employees, led by one person who does by the moniker of TKO. I don't know what his actual name is. He is definitely a Ricoh employee because the first time I met him, dressed like a biker at CP+2019, I asked directly "Are you a Ricoh employee?" and he said he is. In fact, he's been with Pentax since they were an independent company.

The second time I saw him was at a lecture at the Ricoh Imaging Square Tokyo. He talked through his philosophy and the main products he designed. This is not a complete list, but did the following models.

- The first of the "wild" WG designs. I don't recall the exact model number, but the ones before him were quite conservative.
- The i10 retro-styles compact
- Packaging design for the special edition K20D (it was shipped in a very fancy box, using some kind of cutting-edge printing techniques)
- The MX-1 compact
- The K-30
- Was the liaison with Marc Newson for the K-01 (and some other collaborations, like the two Korejanai Robot models)
- The interior design of the Ricoh Imaging Square
- The separable binoculars and the monocular they launched last year
- The whole J-Limited concept

I don't want to go into a long explanation of the J-Limited philosophy, but it is about wanting to provide people with cameras that become valued possessions, not merely functional things that are discarded when the next big thing comes out.

I haven't been to the Ricoh Imaging Square to see the new J-Limited because of COVID, but I did see the KP models. The blue one in particular was very nice. They use metallic car paint on it, so it kind of sparkles and looks different from different angles. I prefer the more subdued back wood finish personally, and it looks and feels very premium. I can see why someone would want to pay extra for that if they plan to keep their camera for a long time and look after it.
Great and very interesting post
Mx1 as well! I like this guy a lot.

06-17-2021, 01:28 AM   #227
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
In that case, you might be interested in this post I made in 2019 when I attended the event he spoke at.

Pentax 100 - Talk by the designer TKO - PentaxForums.com
06-17-2021, 01:51 AM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Me as well... and if I do end up traveling a bit later in summer I'll get the monocular, in fact . Sounds like a great option to not have to carry a macro lens (and since I will most likely fly with a couple friends, I can pass it around for their tele-starved eyes to see what the OVF experience is like )
06-17-2021, 05:02 AM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In that case, you might be interested in this post I made in 2019 when I attended the event he spoke at.

Pentax 100 - Talk by the designer TKO - PentaxForums.com
Really interesting read. Thank you

06-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is too bad that the recent "J Limited" items have not been 'for sale' in North America.
06-17-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #231
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been drivin' all night, my hands wet on the wheel
And there's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', sayin' I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear...
06-17-2021, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
This doesn't make any sense here.
Did you mean to make an entry in the 'raffle' thread??

06-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #233
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This doesn't make any sense here.
Did you mean to make an entry in the 'raffle' thread??
and that's why I don't do two shows every night....
06-18-2021, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
A bit of golden earring try as I might I can't think of a single connection to the thread. The only quote I can think of that fits is from Emerson Lake and Palmer, Karn Evil Nine, 3rd impression, which actually fits rather well

"Primitive....... Limited...... I let you live!"
06-18-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #235
Pentaxian

"I'm perfect -- are you?"
Limited lenses definitely win that argument!
06-20-2021, 01:29 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so much limited crazyness
06-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When the Pentax J-Limited K1s were announced John J Bloomfield on YouTube had a right dig before jumping ship and going to sony. He claimed it was a marketing mistake and the money should have gone into R&D. Aren't the J-limiteds independent of Pentax? Anyway, I think the K1s are glorious. The question is, would you buy one as a main camera or would it just be brought out on special occasions
06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #238
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It is too bad that the recent "J Limited" items have not been 'for sale' in North America.
There has always been a lot of Pentax items (shirts, hats, mugs, etc.) for sale on the Japanese home site that never appeared as available in the US market.
06-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #239
JPT
Pentaxian

When the Pentax J-Limited K1s were announced John J Bloomfield on YouTube had a right dig before jumping ship and going to sony. He claimed it was a marketing mistake and the money should have gone into R&D. Aren't the J-limiteds independent of Pentax? Anyway, I think the K1s are glorious. The question is, would you buy one as a main camera or would it just be brought out on special occasions
I don't know who John Bloomfield is actually, but that opinion is a bit daft. The K-3 Mark III shows that Ricoh have indeed invested heavily in R&D, but I guess that was not clear at the moment the J-Limited was announced for CP+ 2021. What I find strange is that the K-3 Mark III was not announced at CP+, but the J-Limited and FA limited HD versions were. Then when you look at availability, the K-3 Mark III was actually on the shelves on April 23, while the others were not until April 30. I guess they were dealing with some real uncertainly about whether K-3 Mark III production could go ahead at that time.
06-21-2021, 01:15 AM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know who John Bloomfield is actually, but that opinion is a bit daft. The K-3 Mark III shows that Ricoh have indeed invested heavily in R&D, but I guess that was not clear at the moment the J-Limited was announced for CP+ 2021. What I find strange is that the K-3 Mark III was not announced at CP+, but the J-Limited and FA limited HD versions were. Then when you look at availability, the K-3 Mark III was actually on the shelves on April 23, while the others were not until April 30. I guess they were dealing with some real uncertainly about whether K-3 Mark III production could go ahead at that time.
Mr Bloomfield is a self appointed reviewer with a small following. He has done some good videos, he did a very good review of the 50-200 (which I like) but his comparison of the K1 & A7iii had a distinct lean, hardly surprising as he announced at the end that he was off to Sony. (I do hope his shutter didn't fail). The video in question was very down on Pentax, a point he refused to accept despite saying (after the announced delay) that the K3iii wouldn't be out until the end of the year, if at all, and the HD FA limiteds were a cheap rehash by a company on its uppers. He was particularly scathing about the 31mm. I presume he is still under the illusion that it was a balanced and justified report. I don't mind criticism if its balanced, considered or justified, I just can't be doing with petty digs and clickbait

Last edited by Cerebum; 06-21-2021 at 01:20 AM.