Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2020, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Get off that wallet and buy DXO PhotoLab Elite and DXO Filmpack 5 Elite and you can emulate black and white as well as many color analog film looks easily using RAW flies. Just Saying.
I think DXO's film simulations are fun and I do use them sometimes, but they are not nearly as fine-tuned as Fuji's... which makes sense, because Fuji has all the color science info that went into their original films, as well as very specific information about their cameras and lenses. DXO has to cover a huge assortment of cameras and lenses with different color responses, so they can only estimate how results *might* look.

When Pentax released the KP, I thought they should have worked with Kodak to create Kodak film simulations, creating a true DSLR alternative to Fuji's X series.

09-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Only when I went to the bother of taking a picture with my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 lens mounted on my K-30 did I realize how much loss of sharpness was due to my having used Kodachrome25 with the same lens {I had always thought a better lens mounted on my "Super Program" would have given better results}.
09-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
When Pentax released the KP, I thought they should have worked with Kodak to create Kodak film simulations, creating a true DSLR alternative to Fuji's X series.
It would have made more sense for the K-70 - it even has "scenes".
09-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Only when I went to the bother of taking a picture with my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 lens mounted on my K-30 did I realize how much loss of sharpness was due to my having used Kodachrome25 with the same lens {I had always thought a better lens mounted on my "Super Program" would have given better results}.
Most film simulation software - the good ones, anyway - don't negatively impact the sharpness of your photo. They are mostly about color response and tonal curves, and grain (although that can usually be disabled).

09-25-2020, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Most film simulation software - the good ones, anyway - don't negatively impact the sharpness of your photo. They are mostly about color response and tonal curves, and grain (although that can usually be disabled).
I was comparing true film to true sensor.
09-25-2020, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

and there are lots of photographers who will say something like "I started with Pentax; I have a warm spot for them, but I have moved on to better stuff".
Ofcourse. Trends also come and go. I know several(couple) photographers who want to slow down the process and are on the edge to go back to film. And tripods. Take their time and enjoy the process. Some photographers still do say that you cant replace the film, and they move back and forth. I quess what I'm saying film is what changed the photography. it does still make strong feelings and that might be one of the reason for insta films and so on. Many will ofcurse think that there is no point to go there any more and that is fine. But it is different. feel is different, excitement is different, smell is different. frustration is the samedifferent. ones who knows, they know.
09-25-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Ofcourse. Trends also come and go. I know several(couple) photographers who want to slow down the process and are on the edge to go back to film. And tripods. Take their time and enjoy the process. Some photographers still do say that you cant replace the film, and they move back and forth. I quess what I'm saying film is what changed the photography. it does still make strong feelings and that might be one of the reason for insta films and so on. Many will ofcurse think that there is no point to go there any more and that is fine. But it is different. feel is different, excitement is different, smell is different. frustration is the samedifferent. ones who knows, they know.
My point was that I don't see any future right now in producing film cameras. The world is flooded with old, unused ones. My family alone has three of them - one that my Mother left behind and two that I used at one time. There are almost always a few 'classics', like "Spotmatic" and "K1000" for sale at the marketplace here, then there are eBay and dealers such as KEH.

09-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #38
Pentaxian

My point was that I don't see any future right now in producing film cameras. The world is flooded with old, unused ones. My family alone has three of them - one that my Mother left behind and two that I used at one time. There are almost always a few 'classics', like "Spotmatic" and "K1000" for sale at the marketplace here, then there are eBay and dealers such as KEH.
I do agree
09-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
My point was that I don't see any future right now in producing film cameras.
Agreed. Unless Ricoh goes down the Instax or Lomo path, I guess, which will be a huge waste of effort.

Unless I am wrong, Canon has never bothered to make anything of film nostalgia in their product marketing. They were dominant in 35mm film and have just as much 'nostalgia' potential stored up as Pentax, I think. But they moved on.
09-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Agreed. Unless Ricoh goes down the Instax or Lomo path, I guess, which will be a huge waste of effort.

Unless I am wrong, Canon has never bothered to make anything of film nostalgia in their product marketing. They were dominant in 35mm film and have just as much 'nostalgia' potential stored up as Pentax, I think. But they moved on.
Currently Pentax seems to have cred for their medium format film stuff. I'm not sure the Pentax 35mm has the same draw. There's more to choose from when it comes to 35mm.
09-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Fuji film simulations are very well done, neither heavy-handed nor gimmicky, and they are available to Fuji RAW shooters.
There is this small problem.....I am not and never will be a Fuji Film Digital Camera user so therefore I use DXO PhotoLab and DXO Film Pack5 Elite to do analog film emulation which is neither gimmicky or heavy handed.
09-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
There is this small problem.....I am not and never will be a Fuji Film Digital Camera user so therefore I use DXO PhotoLab and DXO Film Pack5 Elite to do analog film emulation which is neither gimmicky or heavy handed.
Whatever words you use, I don't see any reason to use film emulation.
09-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see the film simulations as a fast way to get a certain look that can definitely be attained by Lightroom or similar tools. I personally use such tools (in my case the old Nik Collection plugin set from Google) mostly when I'm doing a black & white conversion and want to play with things a little. Doing this kind of thing on the camera instead of at a computer seems less optimal but to each their own.

Nikon still sells the F6 film camera and they're still in production, somehow, with dozens of units sold per year. I don't really understand how they're doing that and I assume they don't make any money doing it. I can't see Ricoh producing an AF film camera when the F6 is still on sale and selling in such low numbers. So then we come to a manual focus SLR. This would actually appeal to me; give it the KAF4 mount but take the AF part out and control the aperture in-body. Put an e-dial in the front under the shutter button and give it a digital display in the viewfinder. Call it the LX II. Or really throw folks for a loop and base the body ergo's on the XR7 and call it a Ricoh.
09-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever words you use, I don't see any reason to use film emulation.
To each his own, My Friend! I also enjoy developing RAW files and you don't....different photography strokes for different folks.
09-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Nikon still sells the F6 film camera and they're still in production, somehow, with dozens of units sold per year. I don't really understand how they're doing that and I assume they don't make any money doing it. I can't see Ricoh producing an AF film camera when the F6 is still on sale and selling in such low numbers. So then we come to a manual focus SLR. This would actually appeal to me; give it the KAF4 mount but take the AF part out and control the aperture in-body. Put an e-dial in the front under the shutter button and give it a digital display in the viewfinder. Call it the LX II. Or really throw folks for a loop and base the body ergo's on the XR7 and call it a Ricoh.
I had no idea... Petapixel had an article about the F6 in December 2019:

QuoteQuote:
It’s long been rumored that Nikon has been selling new old stock F6’s, that they hadn’t actually built these cameras for years. How did you verify that Nikon does in fact still build new F6 cameras?According to my knowledge, the rumor first came up in 2008.
A tour in Nikon’s Sendai factory in Japan around August 2018 showed that the assembly line for the F6 was still there and functional.
When I decided to order an F6 in December 2019, I went to my local camera dealer in Vienna, Austria, Blende7, and asked whether he could order one. Although earlier visits at Nikon Europe’s homepage showed that the camera was on backorder for at least 2 months, he immediately got confirmation by Nikon that a new F6 is on its way.

QuoteQuote:
Taking a look at the serial number of my camera which is 35955 and comparing it to an F6 sold new in 2015 bearing the number 34875 I’d conclude that least 1080 units have been sold since then (approximately 270 cameras per year).

QuoteQuote:
If you’re interested in picking up your own brand new Nikon F6 in the US, you can find it at some retailers for $2,549, making it also the cheapest non-toy 35mm camera one can buy new in 2019.

You Can Still Buy a Brand New Nikon F6