Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 05:12 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
1500-2000 is too broad and the extremes give completely different vibes...
And at the bottom of that range at B&H fall a few nice full-frame cameras like the D750 ($1496) and mirrorless FF like the Canon RP ($999)...

09-26-2020, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And at the bottom of that range at B&H fall a few nice full-frame cameras like the D750 ($1496) and mirrorless FF like the Canon RP ($999)...
The Pentax userbase, I think, doesn't cross-shop formats that much. Virtues of having an actual APS-C lens lineup!

If the camera is made to emphasize telephoto shooting with better AF and a brighter OVF, then reach is an advantage of the smaller sensor*. If I were a safari person I would think long and hard about Olympus, for example. Getting 600mm equivalent in such a small package with very good daylight IQ is cool.

*Of course there's the marketing angle of "FF or bust", but that's a different story. FF is great for many things but all formats have (dis)advantages.
09-26-2020, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

It’s a thriller movie, you need to create the climax....
Also not everybody want an FF, like many others I am very very happy with an APSC
09-26-2020, 06:21 AM - 5 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax userbase, I think, doesn't cross-shop formats that much. Virtues of having an actual APS-C lens lineup!

If the camera is made to emphasize telephoto shooting with better AF and a brighter OVF, then reach is an advantage of the smaller sensor*. If I were a safari person I would think long and hard about Olympus, for example. Getting 600mm equivalent in such a small package with very good daylight IQ is cool.

*Of course there's the marketing angle of "FF or bust", but that's a different story. FF is great for many things but all formats have (dis)advantages.

You forgot portability - smaller size and less weight - regardless of what you are shooting - don't need a super telephoto for that to be a deciding factor. Thats why I prefer the APS format.

09-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You forgot portability - smaller size and less weight - regardless of what you are shooting - don't need a super telephoto for that to be a deciding factor. Thats why I prefer the APS format.
Oh, absolutely. I just felt like that would be obvious enough with mentioning that M43 is a much more portable format
If I hadn't decided on the K-1 (which has its own small lenses! The M-20/4 and FA77 make a great two lens combo) I would have gone with the KP plus some Limiteds most likely.
09-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Why would he be kidding?
Watch the videos released in July there are several mentions of improved autofocus and subject tracking in them. As @normhead has pointed out and demonstrated several times the Pentax A/F is as responsive as any other DSLR but where Pentax is behind is in subject tracking during continuous A/F. With the new electronics and the rumored greatly expanded amounts of A/F points being used in the K-New there will be greatly improved A/F tracking. Logic would tell you that improvements will come with the new camera just as they have come with each succeeding model since the K-7.
09-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Watch the videos released in July there are several mentions of improved autofocus and subject tracking in them. As @normhead has pointed out and demonstrated several times the Pentax A/F is as responsive as any other DSLR but where Pentax is behind is in subject tracking during continuous A/F. With the new electronics and the rumored greatly expanded amounts of A/F points being used in the K-New there will be greatly improved A/F tracking. Logic would tell you that improvements will come with the new camera just as they have come with each succeeding model since the K-7.
I can confirm the same - the K-1/DFA 28-105 is good at tracking already, even if it already has fairly deep DOF which makes it easier to nail the shot. Better processing power should make a noticeable improvement on faster glass, of course. I really think that screwdrive focusing is the main bottleneck here...

09-26-2020, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm the same - the K-1/DFA 28-105 is good at tracking already, even if it already has fairly deep DOF which makes it easier to nail the shot. Better processing power should make a noticeable improvement on faster glass, of course. I really think that screwdrive focusing is the main bottleneck here...
We'll have to see if screwdrive tracking is improved. I would say it probably will be although it will never be as responsive as some of the newer SDM lens and certainly not as responsive as the PLM lens. The 55-300 PLM on my six year old K-3 is damn good. Screw drive has its place and its certainly not tracking.
09-26-2020, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
We'll have to see if screwdrive tracking is improved. I would say it probably will be although it will never be as responsive as some of the newer SDM lens and certainly not as responsive as the PLM lens. The 55-300 PLM on my six year old K-3 is damn good. Screw drive has its place and its certainly not tracking.
Yep! My screwdrive lenses are great at AF.S which is all I usually need, but AF.C starts showing the limitations of the technology and I'm happy to see Pentax going for high-performance motors.
09-26-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And there are new mirrorless lures in the water to catch guys looking folr oldies but goodies just in that segment to get then hooked up. Do not need to say those names out loud. The thing is. This K-New will be brand new. And everything in it will be too. The things, which has been troublesome for so many Pentaxians over the years. Achilles heel.

It is the product for Pentaxians want to enjoy what they have with out need to change to those products. Which are old, or you could get cheap ones. Some whowant that. They will not consider K-New. They’ll wait to be able to say ’meh’ and buy at bargain that 5 yr old MILC.

Ugh.

That said. My first thoughts was to scip this one and wait for the next FF. But I might sell my 15-30 and buy that 11-18 and that new 70-300(untill I can afford 150-450) and get this new to accompany my K-1 for the things it is not that good at. I do still have some nice aps-c lenses... i think that I’m not alone with this idea. Where this did begin? Well that new OVF. The thing getting me to buy K-1 at the first place and perks what FF brings. But aps-Chas them too. Now with amazing OVF even more so. Hopefully! For me it is not possible to be first buyer this time. Times are challencing. But if it us what I think it will be/hope. I will buy one. To be my travel camera, walkabout, speedy gonzales in events... I actually think that it will match my DFA*70-200 pretty well too.
09-26-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

As digital has become much more of video centric thing for me, 4K30 is my absolute minimum spec I need. We'll see.
09-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would find a "FF" competitor of the RP {with or without mirror, but auto-focusing with my KAF lenses } very tempting
09-26-2020, 07:49 PM - 8 Likes   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
As digital has become much more of video centric thing for me, 4K30 is my absolute minimum spec I need. We'll see.
Perhaps you should consider a video camera rather than a still camera with video capability.
09-26-2020, 08:05 PM - 3 Likes   #44

well, I don't care about video, even it does not exist, will be OK for me, if need video, just using smartphone
09-26-2020, 08:33 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Forum Member

Yep! My screwdrive lenses are great at AF.S which is all I usually need, but AF.C starts showing the limitations of the technology and I'm happy to see Pentax going for high-performance motors.
I don't think Pentax will spend effort on the screw driver motor. this is a feature for back compatibility only. Pentax is focusing on new lenses with focusing system integrated.

---------- Post added 09-26-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

The main purpose of a DSLR camera is photography and not video... If you want a 4K whatever encoding then go for a video camera... DSLR/MILC sensor don't really support video (it's heating the sensor which is bad for the sensor and components around)...

The main purpose of this camera is photography not video. Even the other brands add 4K just for selling DSLR/MILC cameras like "Hey look we integrated 4K, you can buy it"... In reality how many people are really watching TV; movies; streamed documentary in 4K? The question remain the same for broadcaster...

For me 4K is just passing fad, nothing more...
Closed Thread