Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2020, 12:05 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Quoted from vol. 4; “ The most important element in the design process is finding the positioning of the middle finger. ”

I was eating lunch when I was reading it and nearly choked to death laughing.
Your parents should have punished you for such an irrelevant and normally forbidden use of smartphone or computer during meal

09-27-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Logic would tell you that improvements will come with the new camera just as they have come with each succeeding model since the K-7.
As a K-7 user who still finds his camera fits the hand as comfortably as an old shoe, I’ll take better IQ in an equally comfortable camera I can hang the good lenses I already have on. Then take the thing out and use it!!
09-27-2020, 03:07 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
I don't think Pentax will spend effort on the screw driver motor. this is a feature for back compatibility only. Pentax is focusing on new lenses with focusing system integrated.

---------- Post added 09-26-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

The main purpose of a DSLR camera is photography and not video... If you want a 4K whatever encoding then go for a video camera... DSLR/MILC sensor don't really support video (it's heating the sensor which is bad for the sensor and components around)...

The main purpose of this camera is photography not video. Even the other brands add 4K just for selling DSLR/MILC cameras like "Hey look we integrated 4K, you can buy it"... In reality how many people are really watching TV; movies; streamed documentary in 4K? The question remain the same for broadcaster...

For me 4K is just passing fad, nothing more...
I have bought quite good cameras designed for video. They are not perfect(BMPCC4K), I did buy them to be used for live streaming, where we are ’restricted’ to 1080 Full HD. And you have to have pretty good internet to get that working too. I use computer based program. I’m also using go pro for some of stuff where you need small things and I’v used K-1 too. BMPCC can run for ’whole day’ with out heating, as did K-1 untill battery died. Image quality on K-1 is not good as there is banding problem with leds. And some noise. I could fry an egg on top of GoPro. It heat up so bad.

4 K on the otherhand even if you downscale it to Full HD(which is enough IMO) has that extra crisp in it.

I don’t need video capability on K-new, but it would be nice if they did give to us nice 4 K or even 1080 but with 422 10 bit. That would mean that I could leave one of my video cameras at home. And use Pentax as back up, or at the places were it could rain or it would be dusty. It is not a dealbreaker for me. As I don’t really like to take photos with the gear I shoot video. As I shoot with tripod most of the time. But it could be handy. I’ll propably have to upgrade my BMPCC anyway to more proper video camera in future, with global shutter.

But we will see. They do have mic in and phones out in this one too.
09-27-2020, 03:12 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I think I wrote elsewhere that I am not in the game for APSC. I am re-considering this. This new camera could be a very nice complement to my K-1 Mark II.

09-27-2020, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The fact that they are not making this the subject of their first or second 'Product Stories' suggests to me that AF wasn't the major focus of the K-new. So far it's all been about viewfinder and ergonomics.

AF might be Story #10, I fear, ahead of Story #18 about video.
I am not sure about video, but Ooku has said that this camera will be at a D500 level of auto focus. I don't have my hopes up that much, but it certainly is going to add a bunch of auto focus points.

I do think Pentax is saving a lot of the features for when the release is closer. Release all of the specs now and your release date bang is muffled considerably. These little teases are just to make sure Pentaxians stay interested until point that the camera is ready for release when full details will be released.
09-27-2020, 04:20 AM - 4 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am not sure about video, but Ooku has said that this camera will be at a D500 level of auto focus. I don't have my hopes up that much, but it certainly is going to add a bunch of auto focus points.

I do think Pentax is saving a lot of the features for when the release is closer. Release all of the specs now and your release date bang is muffled considerably. These little teases are just to make sure Pentaxians stay interested until point that the camera is ready for release when full details will be released.
Honestly, if it's at D7500 level then I'd say we can pack our pitchforks, put out the torches and be happy.

The K-New will have the D500 beat in a bunch of other metrics:
-It's so much smaller (Compare camera dimensions side by side) while being incredibly comfy in hand - if we go from the previous cameras at least.
-Slightly better IQ and more resolution
-Third e-dial (most likely, at least, unless they went with a completely different function for the new wheel).
-Astrotracer/Pixel Shift
-5% more magnification on the OVF (1.05x vs the Nikon's 1.0x, which was the previous best for APS-C). Jury's still out on brightness, I guess?
-The Nikon can't use Limiteds.

Of course, the D500 has -AF notwithstanding because that's still top of the highest shelf- a tilting touchscreen and access to the excellent Nikon long glass, on top of highlight-weighted metering (why don't we* have that one, Ricoh, that's actually very useful!) and other goodies. After all, Nikon didn't enjoy a lot of clout with professional photographers by making terrible cameras.

In the end I don't think the K-New has to necessarily "beat" other cameras spec-for-spec, as long as the AF improves to keep track of birds and athletes I'd say people will be happy. Using certain models as benchmarks gives a rough estimate but since it also depends on the lens it gets muddy very quickly. I sure hope DPR use the PLM as test lens.

*The GRiii has it, so hopefully it will be coming to the Pentax models!
09-27-2020, 04:37 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
As a K-7 user who still finds his camera fits the hand as comfortably as an old shoe, I’ll take better IQ in an equally comfortable camera I can hang the good lenses I already have on. Then take the thing out and use it!!
The “grip” has encouraged us to grab the body “for ergonomics reasons” ever since the Canon T90.
I believe we are better served in using the two-handed grip I learned over fifty years ago, and not worrying about “balance”, even though a large “grip” gets in the way.

09-27-2020, 04:57 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t use the grip for one-handed operation, but for holding the camera securely while scouting for shots. Matter of fact, I use a no-handed style quite often - from a tripod...
09-27-2020, 05:49 AM - 8 Likes   #54
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

GPS is important to me so even if the K-New has GPS it probably won't give turn-by-turn directions so I'm not buying one no matter how good the auto focus and image quality!
09-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Honestly, if it's at D7500 level then I'd say we can pack our pitchforks, put out the torches and be happy.

The K-New will have the D500 beat in a bunch of other metrics:
-It's [B]so much smaller...
Does anyone know if the K-new will be the same size or smaller than the K3?
09-27-2020, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Does anyone know if the K-new will be the same size or smaller than the K3?
A couple of mm larger in each dimension, as per the FCC registration: R03010 = K-new was registered by FCC on 27 July 2020 - PentaxForums.com
09-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main purpose of a DSLR camera is photography and not video... If you want a 4K whatever encoding then go for a video camera... DSLR/MILC sensor don't really support video (it's heating the sensor which is bad for the sensor and components around)...

The main purpose of this camera is photography not video. Even the other brands add 4K just for selling DSLR/MILC cameras like "Hey look we integrated 4K, you can buy it"... In reality how many people are really watching TV; movies; streamed documentary in 4K? The question remain the same for broadcaster...

A number of films and television programs have been recorded with DSLR and MILC. The sensors actually are designed to offer quality video, it is up to the manufacturers to address heat concerns... just like a CPU in a computer.
09-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I don’t use the grip for one-handed operation, but for holding the camera securely while scouting for shots. Matter of fact, I use a no-handed style quite often - from a tripod...
The small KP grip {which is all I have ever used with it} is adequate for my holding while surveying shots, but I honestly sometimes put my left hand under it at times - I also have the strap available
09-27-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #59
Seb

I don't think Pentax will spend effort on the screw driver motor. this is a feature for back compatibility only. Pentax is focusing on new lenses with focusing system integrated.

---------- Post added 09-26-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

I would really like to see good 4K even in a modern DSLR. Together with the FA Ltd lenses it will be a killer cine-look! Filming in 4K does not always mean that your final product is in 4K. You should concider the possibility to crop (1/4 of the 4K frame is roughly 1080), zoom in or pan through the scene. And if you don't crop it will most likely result in very goot image quality in your final 1080 clip - some say the quality of downscaled material is better than footage shot in 1080.

I started to film and cut a little bit. And the thought of having two camera systems if I get deeper into filming doesn't feel right for me. A K-new with good (not outstanding) video features, say 100 Mbit/s, sensor SR and a good AF together with outstanding image quality for stills would be all I want.
09-27-2020, 09:15 AM - 4 Likes   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
GPS is important to me so even if the K-New has GPS it probably won't give turn-by-turn directions so I'm not buying one no matter how good the auto focus and image quality!
Is it necessary to make fun of members opinions? I fail to see the wisdom in mocking members. It's not cool. I'm sure you didn't intend any malice, but it doesn't come across that way. Let's just respect one another's opinions without descending into mockery. Thanks. Graham

Last edited by Gray; 09-27-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Closed Thread