Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2020, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Does anyone know if the K-new will be the same size or smaller than the K3?
Smallerby a smaller amount!!!!

09-27-2020, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

approx. measurements:

hight x depth:

101,0 x 70,5 mm K-NEW

101,0 x 76,0 mm KP
102,5 x 77,5 mm K3

But the depth of 70.5mm is what you measure just from the rubber-eye-piece to the front.
The real depth is less, because the eye-piece stands out quite a bit by its own.

So my guess is that it will be quite a bit more slender than the K3 and even the KP

So:
Smaller by quite some margin and ... possibly lighter!
09-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Seb Quote
sensor SR
The return of sensor SR to video (K-5, K-x have it, but dropped since then) would be welcome. Other brands have it now, but I think Pentax did it first.
09-27-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
approx. measurements:

hight x depth:

101,0 x 70,5 mm K-NEW

101,0 x 76,0 mm KP
102,5 x 77,5 mm K3

But the depth of 70.5mm is what you measure just from the rubber-eye-piece to the front.
The real depth is less, because the eye-piece stands out quite a bit by its own.

So my guess is that it will be quite a bit more slender than the K3 and even the KP

So:
Even with the smallest grip, my KP is not small by any means - it is noticeably larger than my film-era "Super Program".

09-27-2020, 01:20 PM - 11 Likes   #65
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Is it necessary to make fun of members opinions? I fail to see the wisdom in mocking members. It's not cool. I'm sure you didn't intend any malice, but it doesn't come across that way. Let's just respect one another's opinions without descending into mockery. Thanks. Graham
I don't believe it was Parallax' intention to make fun of anybody's opinion. He saw an opportunity for a bit of humour and took advantage. No need to be too serious
09-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is it necessary to make fun of members opinions? I fail to see the wisdom in mocking members. It's not cool. I'm sure you didn't intend any malice, but it doesn't come across that way. Let's just respect one another's opinions without descending into mockery. Thanks. Graham
Mmm where ?
09-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #67

Ditto. Unnecessary from a mod.

09-27-2020, 05:29 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
GPS is important to me so even if the K-New has GPS it probably won't give turn-by-turn directions so I'm not buying one no matter how good the auto focus and image quality!
I think you've nailed a type of vocal Internet poster there, Parallax.

When a product's launched, there are discouraging guys who if something has eight green lights, it's the ninth red light applying to them that's the reason they won't buy it. We saw that with the legendary post about the K-3, a fantastic camera that a gentleman spat the dummy over because it had 'Ricoh' printed on the back. He was unhappy with the company that paid for the product to be released.

The K-01 copped a lot of flak from Pentaxians on launch that in retrospect looks churlish, because it was fine for what it was - just ask actual owners, and we have several of them here.

It got hammered for what it wasn't, and Pentax have never revisited mirrorless.
09-27-2020, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The K-01 copped a lot of flak from Pentaxians on launch that in retrospect looks churlish, because it was fine for what it was - just ask actual owners, and we have several of them here.

Neither the "Q" nor the K-01 had an EVF.
As I suspected before I got my Q-7, seeing the LCD was a real problem outside.
I did get a Hoodman device before I got the Q-7, but lack of EVF ended my consideration of the K-01.
The cameras launched by other manufacturers {such as the Sony 'NEX' and the Canon 'M'} also lacked EVF and and also "failed", but only Pentax gave up at this point.
09-27-2020, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Neither the "Q" nor the K-01 had an EVF.
As I suspected before I got my Q-7, seeing the LCD was a real problem outside.
I did get a Hoodman device before I got the Q-7, but lack of EVF ended my consideration of the K-01.
The cameras launched by other manufacturers {such as the Sony 'NEX' and the Canon 'M'} also lacked EVF and and also "failed", but only Pentax gave up at this point.
And I think that Pentaxians were vocal in their criticism in ways that Sony and Canon owners were not, Reh, the NEX series and M *both* continued as products that were purchased and were then able to evolve.

I think it really is a cultural thing.
09-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #71
Pentaxian

And I think that Pentaxians were vocal in their criticism in ways that Sony and Canon owners were not, Reh, the NEX series and M *both* continued as products that were purchased and were then able to evolve.

I think it really is a cultural thing.
I was a Canon user at the time.
Fellow Canon users heaped scorn on the "M".
The "M" was viewed as a failure in the US - so much so that the "M2" was sold only in Asia.
Around the time I joined here, Canon scheduled a big announcement that turned out just to be another sales spiel.
Nikon user chortled over the unhappiness amongst Canon users that no improvement of the "M" was forthcoming then.

My understanding as a {now} outsider was that Canon continued the 'M' line only because of sales in Japan, and gradually came to the understanding that they would sell in European and American markets only when they added a EVF {first as a clip-on device} to their product.

Last edited by reh321; 09-27-2020 at 06:58 PM.
09-27-2020, 07:08 PM - 3 Likes   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
approx. measurements:
hight x depth:
101,0 x 70,5 mm K-NEW
101,0 x 76,0 mm KP
102,5 x 77,5 mm K3
So:
Even with the smallest grip, my KP is not small by any means - it is noticeably larger than my film-era "Super Program".
Member "Spock" asked:
and not, if it was as small as a film-era Super Program.
Kind of as if you'd argue.... but my 110 is even smaller, why can't they get their act together.
The K-New is an APS-C DSLR with a display and you know this very well so arguing like this is mixing apples with oranges.

I loved the minimalistic retro-design of the K-01 and had no problems with some quirks (rubber door etc)
But even in it's days during a day of bright sunlight it was impossible to use the LCD and one had to, it had no OVF and lacked EVF.
If one knows how slow contrast detection in LV-mode is with the K30 compared to phase detection, one was pretty much stuck with the K-01 in a sunny day.

The stakes for an APS-C and KAF were high for the K-01 but the lack of EVF and the very bad behavior of the LCD in sunlight (these days much worse)
made it a pain to use. Picture quality was on the same level as K5II/30/50 but in sunlight almost useless.

This was sad because some great potential was not thought to the end! If they would have sacrificed the flash but option for an external one it would have been that what now with the K-NEW might come.

But Ricoh made it already much better with the small K-S1 which had OVF and was not really larger.
The K-S1 is an interesting example how small is possible without sacrificing important features.
Puts comparisons such as reh132's one against the Super Program into perspective.

Last edited by photogem; 09-29-2020 at 12:10 AM.
09-27-2020, 07:52 PM - 14 Likes   #73
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Ditto. Unnecessary from a mod.
Jeez, you guys: lighten up!

Moderators are allowed to make jokes too
09-27-2020, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I don't get it.
09-27-2020, 08:48 PM - 9 Likes   #75
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

A Priest, a Rabbi and a PF Moderator walk into a bar.

All 3 were there to discuss the " pros and cons " of the new Pentax K-Sera.....Sera........

Maybe we could get back to that too,.....................just sayin'................

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 09-27-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Closed Thread