Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 310 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Given all this talk about IR spectrum filters and also on sensor PDAF, Pentax should really launch the K-3 III with several variants for users to pick the options they want. Or better yet, devise a way to be able to hotswap the filter array like how some cameras have built in ND filters.

12-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Given all this talk about IR spectrum filters and also on sensor PDAF, Pentax should really launch the K-3 III with several variants for users to pick the options they want. Or better yet, devise a way to be able to hotswap the filter array like how some cameras have built in ND filters.
My guess is that they'd increase manufacturing and design costs by waaaaaaaaaaay more than they'd gain in sales from having multiple variants. How many IR-spec K-3iiis would they sell? 100? I don't see how they'd make money carving off microscopic parts of an already small niche market.
12-16-2020, 06:11 AM   #333
Pentaxian

How about being able to modify the camera in service?
Not the K-3 Mark III, I don't see the point of converting an APS-C flagship build for speed - but perhaps a KP Mark II or something.
I guess it would be too expensive, though.
12-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How about being able to modify the camera in service?
Not the K-3 Mark III, I don't see the point of converting an APS-C flagship build for speed - but perhaps a KP Mark II or something.
I guess it would be too expensive, though.
If they could do it with the K-1 I don't see how hard this honestly could be to implement. Same with making a variant of the K-3 new with OSPDAF for those who want it.

12-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #335
Pentaxian

If they could do it with the K-1 I don't see how hard this honestly could be to implement. Same with making a variant of the K-3 new with OSPDAF for those who want it.
Unless the sensor is somehow much cheaper than a complete mainboard (which I doubt), people would have to pay 500 euro or more.

Having a version with, and without OSPDAF makes less sense IMO. Getting a different image is one thing; but deciding on a secondary AF mode should be a design decision.
12-16-2020, 09:15 AM - 3 Likes   #336
Pentaxian

I think the KP would be the much better platform for that. With IR you would want to focus with Liveview, the movable screen is way more useful than 101 AF points and general speed of the K3III...
12-17-2020, 02:27 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And how does this relate to the new camera????
What new camera are you talking about? I don't think we are on the same page!

12-17-2020, 05:17 AM   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I think the KP would be the much better platform for that. With IR you would want to focus with Liveview, the movable screen is way more useful than 101 AF points and general speed of the K3III...
Isn't there already a business-only KP IR? Would be good if they released it to the general public, but I guess they are made to order.
12-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Isn't there already a business-only KP IR? Would be good if they released it to the general public, but I guess they are made to order.
Some other forum members have speculated that since Ricoh is primarily a B2B business they've always seen the dangers of relying too much on B2C. By not releasing the IR version to the public, Ricoh avoids the need to price the IR KP at similar prices to the regular version, therefore giving them a wide latitude to control prices when dealing with B2B customers that do want IR.
12-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #340
dlhawes

But as to the K-3 III, "will it sale?" (Cameraville Li)
12-21-2020, 06:06 AM   #341
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Probably not, because one could supposedly make more sales out of Fujifilm videos than out of Pentax.
12-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #342
snm

When can we be expecting any official info? How early are these rumors usually?
12-21-2020, 10:57 PM - 2 Likes   #343
Pentaxian

According to the past pentax new camera launch habits, official release should be the end of January.
12-22-2020, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Pentax K3 MKIII | Will it sale? - YouTube
I haven't seen a single one of this guys videos that had value to me!
12-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #345
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I haven't seen a single one of this guys videos that had value to me!
But you have to admit, he's really entertaining, just because he's so goofy and opinionated. And, speaking of goofy and opinionated, my favorite is the guy who calls himself "the angry photographer" with a "screen name" of "Theoria Apophasis"
Theoria Apophasis - YouTube
This guy really does seem to know a good bit and does give useful information - before I buy anything I check to see what he and few others have said about it - the Northups, Jared Poulin (though I can't stand his style), Kai Wong (you have to ignore his 7th grade sense of humor), Chris Nichols (though he's selling stuff), Dustin Abbott, Gordon Laing, and a few others of lesser luminary status. Not in that order, necessarily, though I think Abbott is the most articulate and systematic and has the lowest B.S. factor.