Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 310 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Did you read the announcement? I don't know why they have confined this initiative to China, but perhaps they see a need to broaden the outlook of young people there.
Yes, I even read that :

QuoteQuote:
This product is expected to be available in November 2020.

02-15-2021, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #467
Pentaxian

I don’t recall that Ricoh has made CP+ a special event, previously. If that’s the case, then the creation of a page to cover it means something

(...)
It means that, CP+ being an online event this year, they had to replace their booth with a special site.
02-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It means that, CP+ being an online event this year, they had to replace their booth with a special site.
I just had a look at the CP+2021 website. There’s no indication of exhibitor sites within that, at least as far as the English language pages are concerned. The exhibition and event links are greyed out, so I imagine that’s why Ricoh created their own site. Of course, that doesn’t preclude further Pentax product announcements during the event.
02-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #469
Pentaxian

I just had a look at the CP+2021 website. There’s no indication of exhibitor sites within that, at least as far as the English language pages are concerned. The exhibition and event links are greyed out, so I imagine that’s why Ricoh created their own site. Of course, that doesn’t preclude further Pentax product announcements during the event.
Once logged in, you can access a page with a 'List of Special Sites for Exhibitors', which includes a direct link to Ricoh Imaging's special website (and many others).

reg.cpplus.jp/public/application/add/208?lang=en

reg.cpplus.jp/public/application/add/209?lang=en

02-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
(...)
Not only PENTAX, but Ricoh's other product lines will also have new products.
02-16-2021, 01:59 AM   #471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would buy the green GR in a heartbeat. Much more discreet than RED!!!! (Sorry, Pentax reds are always loud and that is my point of comparison) it makes sense launching it in China, isn't it one of the largest and fastest growing economies in the world?
02-16-2021, 04:15 AM   #472
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on the local price, so would I. I purchased the street edition (the version w/o finder, but with case and extra battery) because it looks better than the standard edition and the surplus cost was only € 20 since I would have bought the extras anyway.

But it is small! Quality is incredible, but I do have to get used to a small screen, and in sunshine I had difficulties. Maybe that's a matter of getting used to. Anything bigger would no longer be pocketable and then I might as well bring a larger camera along.

02-16-2021, 04:48 AM   #473
Pentaxian

It would seem strange to work on improved video quality/specs and not include it in the K-new.

This is really far to vague to tell us anything.
02-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #474

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It would seem strange to work on improved video quality/specs and not include it in the K-new.

Agreed it would have made the most sense to have upgraded video in the K-new. I wonder if we will see some modernized lenses with less focus breathing
coming out.

I think the biggest elephant in the room is video. professionals who need to both provide photo and video have been forced to use another brand to deliver that video.
When there is more delays will these creatives just lean more toward their video brands they already own?

-s
02-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #475
Pentaxian

If this delay is going to tip that scale then it has been leaning quite a bit already.

If one needs professional video they need camera that is not actually ‘hybrid’. Alright you will still be needing that video camera. And lenses for video.
02-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #476
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sdhute Quote
I think the biggest elephant in the room is video. professionals who need to both provide photo and video have been forced to use another brand to deliver that video.
When there is more delays will these creatives just lean more toward their video brands they already own?
Not an 'elephant' - people have talked and talked and talked here about video.
If someone really is interested in video, s/he should get a camcorder or a camera that majors on video - Pentax cameras major on still photography.
02-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #477
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
...maximum recording duration - all make a huge difference and are still unknown.
Not unknown, the maximum recording time have been released on 27th of October 2020:
Progress report on PENTAX's new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera?RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
It's 4K (3840x2160, 30p/24p).
02-18-2021, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #478
bxf
Veteran Member

Since there is always the inevitable reference to Pentax' shortcomings in video, some people really, really, really need to get out of their heads their obsession with video quality, as if it were a universal necessity. Yes, dSLRs can do video, some better than others, but people who have been photographing for decades have not been doing it for their love of video. In the context of one's photography, video has zero significance. How many contests or even simple entries of video clips do you see on this site? If video quality is a high requirement for me, I'll get a camcorder. Otherwise, for most photographers, and I am fully aware that there are exceptions, I view video as being just a nice side benefit, for which ultimate quality is probably of no real benefit. I cannot imagine a professional videographer relying on a Pentax SLR for his/her work.
02-19-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #479
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In response to the video comments:

It's true that if you are doing a ton of video it's probably best to get a dedicated video camera. No argument there. But if, like me, work requires doing some video, then it's great to have stills cameras that can do it. As a contractor I don't have the money to plonck down for a whole new quality video rig. My main client isn't going to be buying one anytime soon, either. So, I did get a decent gimbal and am using the 5DmkIV's my client owns for that, while using my own Pentax cameras for stills---because they are way better than the Canon's.

As far as the new K3III is concerned, the specs look acceptable to me for what I would need video for. So, even though I otherwise have no need for an apsc camera, I'm waiting to see how it tests for video, and maybe will get one if things look as good as spec'd.

In response to the comments about how these specs aren't "as good as the competition", I'd say that 4k is just fine right now for anything on the web and even for archival footage that we'd shoot for work. 6K seems to be a stop gap for 8K, and yes, the 8K cameras that are coming available do indeed allow for a great deal of useful post production work----provided you have the computing oomph to process it. These cameras are not cheap, and add in the computer you can be starting to get into the $8K range easily to get that nice 8K video. But just as my 645Z is gargantuan overkill for web, so too is 8K video.

So, in terms of need and practicality, this new camera may be just fine spec-wise. We won't know for sure until we actually see the actual video samples.
02-19-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #480
Pentaxian

8k video is definitely worth it, for anyone with:
1. a movie theatre
2. a $100k screen
3. enough customers to allow making a profit who want to see their work.

Fail on any of those 3 criteria and it's a waste of money.

A fourth criteria would be a rich contract wrath at least $100k that specifies 8k video. Most people don't have one of those either.

It's amazing how many who meet none of those criteria are so interested in 8k video. Getting ready for some imagined future where everything is 8k video I guess.

It took 12 years after I was offered my first 4k video set up before 4k became affordable for the common man. Most of the people I talk to are still happy with HD. For folks my age, it's likely 8k will never really be thing.

Leave it for the young pups.

It might be noted, people still make 300 plus horse power cars. Power on it's own means next to nothing.It still has to be appropriate What do you suppose 8k is appropriate to?

Last edited by normhead; 02-19-2021 at 08:45 AM.