Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I want my next camera to do 4K, but that’s as much as a feature lever as anything.

I’ll likely never use one of my cameras for paid video work, and my phone does fine for most other needs. But it sure would be nice to have 4K with a telephoto lens...

My existing cameras have plenty of resolution and low light performance for the foreseeable future, so it would take something like 4K to make me upgrade early.

I don’t think Ricoh needs to have the most up to date video specs on any Pentax camera, but at some point it becomes expected. And if there’s no technical reason why they can’t, then they look incompetent.

If the Pentax FF flagship was 100mp with some crazy, way out sensor tech, then leaving it out would make sense. But when using tweaks of existing sensors with video capability, it’s silly not to.

I think the level of video on the K3-3 is about right. It’s enough to provide casual 4K with reasonable quality. I would expect similar from the K-newer and the K1next.

-Eric

02-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #482
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
8k video is definitely worth it, for anyone with:
1. a movie theatre
2. a $100k screen
3. enough customers to allow making a profit who want to see their work.

Fail on any of those 3 criteria and it's a waste of money.

A fourth criteria would be a rich contract wrath at least $100k that specifies 8k video. Most people don't have one of those either.

It's amazing how many who meet none of those criteria are so interested in 8k video. Getting ready for some imagined future where everything is 8k video I guess.

It took 12 years after I was offered my first 4k video set up before 4k became affordable for the common man. Most of the people I talk to are still happy with HD. For folks my age, it's likely 8k will never really be thing.

Leave it for the young pups.

It might be noted, people still make 300 plus horse power cars. Power on it's own means next to nothing.It still has to be appropriate What do you suppose 8k is appropriate to?
I think the main things 8K are appropriate to are:
  • more flexibility in post---you can zoom, pan & etc, and maybe color grade better(?)
  • have a bit more longevity before the files look "antique". I'm guessing 4K will start looking a little old to people in 10 years or so, so maybe you get another 5-10 with 8K. This is meaningless for personal/family work, but maybe not for archival pro work.
Not sure I see any other advantages at this point. The nature of moving images is such that they are never/rarely on screen long enough for viewers to pick out "flaws", as opposed to still images that you could examine with a magnifying glass as long as you are able.
02-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #483
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With 8K provided today by these 'hybrid' cameras there is not really anything else than improved sharpness and improved filesize and price. This will accumulate quite quick to your gear which you will use to take the 'advantage' of that added resolution. I'd say that 6K RAW could be the -next big thing- but is is offered like 8 K is offered as was 4K when it came. Because it is possible. For some reasons the best performance for 4 K is not coming from these monsters. And best 6 K and 8K is not coming out of these beasts either.

It is marketing what is speaking and many gear oriented will believe. many content makers will use, because they also kind a have to.

I'd believe this what Pentax will be coming with is what is easy to have now. I could be wrong and they are mose serious about it. If they have good speed readout and no frame skipping and good solid 24P 4K with working SR(as it seems to be) that should be more than enough for a lot of things.

I would put my money(and I actually already have and will do so in future) for a proper video gear if I wanted more than that. But proper and better won't necessarily mean 6 or 8K.
02-19-2021, 12:17 PM - 3 Likes   #484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
With 8K provided today by these 'hybrid' cameras there is not really anything else than improved sharpness and improved filesize and price. This will accumulate quite quick to your gear which you will use to take the 'advantage' of that added resolution. I'd say that 6K RAW could be the -next big thing- but is is offered like 8 K is offered as was 4K when it came. Because it is possible. For some reasons the best performance for 4 K is not coming from these monsters. And best 6 K and 8K is not coming out of these beasts either.

It is marketing what is speaking and many gear oriented will believe. many content makers will use, because they also kind a have to.

I'd believe this what Pentax will be coming with is what is easy to have now. I could be wrong and they are mose serious about it. If they have good speed readout and no frame skipping and good solid 24P 4K with working SR(as it seems to be) that should be more than enough for a lot of things.

I would put my money(and I actually already have and will do so in future) for a proper video gear if I wanted more than that. But proper and better won't necessarily mean 6 or 8K.
For those of us who can't even tell the difference between HD and 4k when sitting on our sofas, I'm pretty sure 4k files will be indistinguishable from 8k on an 8k TV. People who claim they they need to stand 8 inches away with a magnifying glass, have entered a different reality than the one where I exist.

02-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For those of us who can't even tell the difference between HD and 4k when sitting on our sofas, I'm pretty sure 4k files will be indistinguishable from 8k on an 8k TV. People who claim they they need to stand 8 inches away with a magnifying glass, have entered a different reality than the one where I exist.
I believe that my brothers will buy propably 8K TV(or what ever it is called nowadays), like they did just buy top end genelec system to look movies at home(more than 20 K€) and they did say that it is great but they can also hear blemishes from soundtracks(old movies). No need for that what so ever. But if they enjoy that, why not(trying to be pollite at here they are my brothers after all). vast majority that does not make any difference IF you don't get to see the label on that movie and you watch it at 4K display(i can say that this could be most used at here atleast) You'll only see the difference if it is HD, if even then.

As we know it, there is and will be measurbators and then these HiFi guys and what not. I just looked through some things from internet about +6K and shooting and stuff. You have to put big bugs to get high quality 8 K or even 6. Just for the camera. Canon R5 is consumer range 8K. So is A1. in small paggage. Most shooting with those cameras will stick to 4KDCI or even less and shoot prores(canon skips frames to eliminate rolling shutter). Sure at first, you'll shoot 8 K all the time, but after your SSD/HDD has been filled and your computer is beginning to melt down, you'll stick to 4K because it is more handy. Or even HD.

Handy would be what I'd expect from video capabilityes from K-3III. it is there and has SR and it is handy.

Is it video cam. no way. Will it shoot very well stills and in very good iQ? for sure.