Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 310 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Are there problems with the K-70? I mean, real documented issues beyond normal failure rate of mid level cameras? I just have the impression the poor camera is bullied by legacy. However, I would not recommend it to anyone either, as long as there is no official proof of a changed system component. But to be fair, I haven't seen evidence that it is failing above average.
We do know that the aperture control fails first - when users experience Dark Image Syndrome, usually the solenoid has failed.
We do not know how this failure rate compares to failure rate of other cameras, but we can speculate that using the stepper motor mechanism - leaving everything else constant - would reduce the failure rate {whatever it is} at a cost of a relatively minor raise in price, fitting in with the aspiration stated by them to be more of a premium brand.

10-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wonder what autofocus system it would use? Surely not the one in the K-3 III unmodified. Otherwise they're giving away the store.
K-3 owners didn’t flock to the KP, so most likely they wouldn’t “give away the store” unless they also used the buffer from the K-3iii unmodified, the D-Li90 battery, a second SD slot, and a topside LCD.
11-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #168

K-new?

What are they going for?
11-01-2020, 09:56 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wonder what autofocus system it would use? Surely not the one in the K-3 III unmodified. Otherwise they're giving away the store.

I think it will be a K-S2 type camera, maybe called K-S3.
I thought the K-S2 was a good looking camera. AF will likely be from the KP but I think there will be improvements made to the system that go beyond the number of autofocus points, so it will likely be an improvement.

11-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #170
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I thought the K-S2 was a good looking camera. AF will likely be from the KP but I think there will be improvements made to the system that go beyond the number of autofocus points, so it will likely be an improvement.
That'd be great. But maybe it should also inherit the KP's aperture control system. Then maybe we can avoid the aperture block problem.
11-02-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

Can we refer to the new Knew as K70ii to avoid confusion with the K3iii...
11-02-2020, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Can we refer to the new Knew as K70ii to avoid confusion with the K3iii...
Why should we talk about it at all?
Pentax has given very little real information to talk about.
We can always talk about our use of currently available equipment.

11-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why should we talk about it at all?
Pentax has given very little real information to talk about.
We can always talk about our use of currently available equipment.
I would say

"I received a tip that Ricoh is rumored to be working on another Pentax APS-C DSLR camera in addition to..."

is even less than a little information from Pentax/Ricoh.

Chances are high, that they are working on other cameras, right. But wether it goes in direction of K-P II or a lower model is completely unknown.
Equipping the K-P with new sensor capable of 4k would probably make it quite a tight competitor directly for the XT-3... who knows
11-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #174
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say

"I received a tip that Ricoh is rumored to be working on another Pentax APS-C DSLR camera in addition to..."

is even less than a little information from Pentax/Ricoh.

Chances are high, that they are working on other cameras, right. But wether it goes in direction of K-P II or a lower model is completely unknown.
Equipping the K-P with new sensor capable of 4k would probably make it quite a tight competitor directly for the XT-3... who knows
And even that (Ricoh working on other new DSLR projects for release in the next 1-2 years) is a big if right now. Sometimes rumors can beget rumors :-)
11-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
27 November 1919 - 26 November 1920 was the first year of Asahi Optical.
27 November 2019 - 26 November 2020 is the 101st year of Asahi Optical.

27 November 2019 was both the last day of the 100th year of Asahi Optical and the first day of their 101st year.

Yet the LX was launched in 1980, so...
Did you count by zero or by 1? Babies aren't 1 year old until their 2nd year.
11-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Do you have information that the "problem" is in the sensor - or is it in the processor - or both??
11-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you have information that the "problem" is in the sensor - or is it in the processor - or both??
At one point a Pentax exec said the problem with 4k video was obtaining a sensor that could do it. Clearly the current K-P sensor can't.
11-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Did you count by zero or by 1? Babies aren't 1 year old until their 2nd year.
We're saying exactly the same thing, you know. Asahi Optical's 100th anniversary in November 2019 was the end of their 100th year (had they survived past 89...), not the beginning of it, contrary to what @pres589 said (to whom I responded).
11-03-2020, 04:24 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I would dearly love to see is some of the new capability of the K3iii filtering down through firmware updates to the earlier cameras. I know 4k video isn't possible, as Normhead said, the sensor can't do it but maybe some new AF algorithms or iso control. The KP is already a fantastic camera, but so was the Fuji X-T3 prior to receiving firmware updates, bringing it closer to the X-T4.
11-03-2020, 04:50 AM   #180
Veteran Member

I really hope to see KP-II with FF sensor. Would be perfect!