Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 310 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I really hope to see KP-II with FF sensor. Would be perfect!
KP is not a full frame, and KP II will not be full frame.

11-03-2020, 05:09 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
or it will
11-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #183

i didnt
11-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
but they could release a camera with KP internals in a K-1 body with a 24mp sensor.
That would be a nearly perfect system!

11-03-2020, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but they could release a camera with KP internals in a K-1 body with a 24mp sensor.
They almost certainly will. When the K-30 came out, it had significant improvements over the flagship K-5. The K-P has significant improvements over the K-3. Pentax doesn't hold back it's tech waiting for the most expensive camera to launch and then trickle down. Being a smaller company, every new camera tends to support the latest greatest tech available.

Pentax has never done that Nikon 3xxx, 5xxx, 7xxx thing where each cheaper camera is simply a stripped down version of the next one up.

Last edited by normhead; 11-03-2020 at 08:16 AM.
11-03-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #186

Call it k1-2
11-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
Call it k1-2
There is already a K-1 Mk II, so that would be tough.

11-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #188
Pentaxian

Maybe they could call it a K-1P? Even have a retro-esque style body like the KP sort of like what Nikon did with Df.
11-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #189
Pentaxian

I can't follow here. Why would they? KP internals are something that has been developed for the APS-C sensor with 24 Mp. What would you want to have in such a camera? The sensorchip would need to be another one. The processor and accellerator are the same generation as K1-II. The AF would be probably also the same, same with metering... and both are not the newest generation. If you want a new body and chassis that would be with magnesium and sealed it would cost at least as much as a K1-II. And probably downsampled 36 Mp would be indistinguishable from a 24 Mp one. Bringing a new FF with new tech from K-3III and keeping the K-1II with a reduced price (no development costs) would have the same effect.
11-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I can't follow here. Why would they? KP internals are something that has been developed for the APS-C sensor with 24 Mp. What would you want to have in such a camera? The sensorchip would need to be another one. The processor and accellerator are the same generation as K1-II. The AF would be probably also the same, same with metering... and both are not the newest generation. If you want a new body and chassis that would be with magnesium and sealed it would cost at least as much as a K1-II. And probably downsampled 36 Mp would be indistinguishable from a 24 Mp one. Bringing a new FF with new tech from K-3III and keeping the K-1II with a reduced price (no development costs) would have the same effect.
Amongst Nikon users, the D750 is valued much for its NR than the D500 is.
Combine the 24mp "FF" sensor with the 'accelerator' could be a real winner - but people here always seem to be looking for more and more mp.
A 24mp "FF" camera could be a great landscape photo machine!
11-03-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #191
Pentaxian

Combine the 24mp "FF" sensor with the 'accelerator' could be a real winner - but people here always seem to be looking for more and more mp.
I don't see how lowering the resolution (from the current 36MP) would make for a better landscape camera.
11-03-2020, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #192
Veteran Member

As Ricoh has decided to take the industry standard low road when it comes to camera 'names', then any vaguely unique yet
still ultimately nonsensical name will do. A few possibilities:

K-1 mk II varKP
KPFF
KP1
K1KP
KPtoobutnotquitebecauseit'sFFliketheK1

Oh Joy.......
11-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
as ricoh has decided to take the industry standard low road when it comes to camera 'names', then any vaguely unique yet
still ultimately nonsensical name will do. A few possibilities:

K-1 mk ii varkp
kpff
kp1
k1kp
kptoobutnotquitebecauseit'sfflikethek1
k-90...
11-03-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #194
Pentaxian

Amongst Nikon users, the D750 is valued much for its NR than the D500 is.
Sorry, still can't follow this notion.
The K-1 II is already much better than all cameras you mentioned, especially for landscape. If this is about the old "idea" that the D750 would be better for low light, the K-1II beats it visibly in high ISO already. Especially when downsampled to 24 MP, both in detail and in noise:
Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

And I would assume that landscape is about detail, mainly at base ISO, often tripod work.

I think I know where you want to go, but I don't see this a way there. If it's about a cheap FF, it will be hard for Ricoh to bring something cheaper than the K-1 II, especially if they could just lower the price by 200-300€ if a new model would come.
"Cheap" FF, like the strange Sony ...x is not close to the K-1 II, I included it in the comparison.

What I could see would be a size reduced K1, well, why not in style with KP, but just keep the imaging pipeline. It probably won't be "cheap" either, but still be great IQ wise, and, well, maybe appeal to some who want "less" body wise.

Last edited by MMVIII; 11-03-2020 at 03:15 PM.
11-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't see how lowering the resolution (from the current 36MP) would make for a better landscape camera.
Better DR, less noise if higher ISO is needed, possibly more accurate colors.
Often 24mp give plenty of details.
We need to see what the photographer saw - certainly not the cells on the leaves.