Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 310 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2020, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
k-90...

So, you're proposing the FF KP to be called the K-90? That would be confusing indeed. What then would be the
product name for the K-70 successor? K-90toobutnotthesameastheK-90KP perhaps?

11-03-2020, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #197
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-90...
K-9 with a bark sound for the shutter release?
11-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Better DR, less noise if higher ISO is needed, possibly more accurate colors.
Often 24mp give plenty of details.
We need to see what the photographer saw - certainly not the cells on the leaves.
I very much doubt a lower resolution sensor has such advantages.
11-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
So, you're proposing the FF KP to be called the K-90? That would be confusing indeed. What then would be the
product name for the K-70 successor? K-90toobutnotthesameastheK-90KP perhaps?
I don't believe there will be a KP successor. Personal opinion of course.

11-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #200
Veteran Member

I think that is, mostly, a safe assumption. The KP belongs to the line of one off experimental bodies which include the likes of the KS-1
and KS-2. Each of those bodies explored new/different/unconventional concepts to varying success. Nonetheless, the KP as been
quite successful in it's own right, enough so to merit a possible successor. But failing a KPII(ugh), KP features are very likely to appear
in future bodies.
11-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Better DR, less noise if higher ISO is needed, possibly more accurate colors.
You don't achieve that by decreasing the pixel count.

The main reason for using 12MP sensors, for instance, is for video, as a fewer pixels can be read out more quickly.
11-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I really hope to see KP-II with FF sensor. Would be perfect!
I would be in for that, if the D750 had SR and and a K mount I would of bought it already. If the made a FF Kp I hope that they but in a bigger battery.

11-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could see the KP living on in the form of a name change but the new tech/exploration continuing. This is something Pentax has done with each "lettered" model (KS-1 LED lighting user interface, K-S2 Vari-Angle screen, second shutter release and built in wifi), and KP (Accelerator chip, extreme high ISO ability, Motion bracketing, electronic shutter etc).
11-04-2020, 03:22 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Maybe you're right but how I wish they'd continue it. There are a lot who likes the retro look myself included. If I have some spare cash I'd get one. The camera is such a handsome beast.
11-04-2020, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree.

I think odds are good that the KP is a one-off camera. Pentax will eventually release a K-70 sequel priced somewhere between the current K-70 and KP prices and keep the KP on the books till it sells out. Then go with the K-70 II and the K3 III as their APS-C line up.

It is really clear that having too many cameras in your line up is actually harmful to a company. It just ends up fragmenting the photographers who buy your cameras without really attracting many new photographers. Pentax has traditionally had 2 APS-C SLR lines. There were a few times where it looked like they three lines due to overlapping release schedules, but that was the exception rather than the rule.
11-04-2020, 04:31 AM   #206
Pentaxian

What some people here are talking about is, mostly:
Take the concept of KP (small well constructed body) and apply it to FF.
Exactly what a K-2 would be

I don't think we're there yet. But maybe.
As for Mpix, not 24MP. Let's have a K1-3 and once it's here, maybe there's a place for a lower end FF. But I don't think so.
11-04-2020, 04:59 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has one off cameras to often. They always seem to be looking for the latest ideas to get attention. I think if they had of stuck with they K-01 concept they would of had a competitive mirrorless by now. Anyway I suppose they know best.
11-04-2020, 05:17 AM   #208
Pentaxian

I really like the KP concept. It feels a bit like a draft though so I hope they develop more models based on it.

I don't see the sensor tech etc as part of the model. They just included the things in the pipeline that was ready.

The model is the body type and intended audience. A sort of urban travel camera. (Fuji competitor ) If they get the size down they could do a FF version. The tree amigos, about to be four musketeers, would be happy.
11-04-2020, 05:54 AM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
As Ricoh has decided to take the industry standard low road when it comes to camera 'names', then any vaguely unique yet
still ultimately nonsensical name will do. A few possibilities:

K-1 mk II varKP
KPFF
KP1
K1KP
KPtoobutnotquitebecauseit'sFFliketheK1

Oh Joy.......
They should just add Mark# & use K1 for full frame, K3 for APSC then stick a zero on for entry level, & Maybe stick with KP for anything that won't fit in any of the pigeon holes Its good enough for all the others and so much less confusing

---------- Post added 11-04-20 at 05:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I really like the KP concept. It feels a bit like a draft though so I hope they develop more models based on it.

I don't see the sensor tech etc as part of the model. They just included the things in the pipeline that was ready.

The model is the body type and intended audience. A sort of urban travel camera. (Fuji competitor ) If they get the size down they could do a FF version. The tree amigos, about to be four musketeers, would be happy.
The KP is a wonderfully thing and is a secret, best kept by Pentax and Pentax forums members. Whenever we meet a non pentaxian, they are always befuddled by it whilst we stand there with a slightly superior, knowing smile
11-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #210
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You don't achieve that by decreasing the pixel count.

The main reason for using 12MP sensors, for instance, is for video, as a fewer pixels can be read out more quickly.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I very much doubt a lower resolution sensor has such advantages.
Then you had better look at the D750 and compare it to the D850.
The D850 clearly provides processing at a higher point, but before it cuts in, the lower-resolution D750 has a clear advantage
Attached Images