Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 310 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I think you are correct. About IQ to IQ comparisons. I think we can expect some improvements, but they may not be very significant, only somewhat so.

I think the main improvements are going to be elsewhere with this camera, not just in raw IQ. These will make it a better camera for many shooters, but not necessarily so for others. I won't go into the laundry list, as we've been discussing it, and also still don't really know all that the new unit is going to bring to the table....
Do you think there's a possibility of a dual gain design? That way Pentax gets the benefits similar to the "accelerator chip" on the K-1, but without reviewers and users crying about that bit of "baked in" processing.

12-26-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahhhhh. This must be the model with an articulated flippy. Thank God.
12-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #378
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Do you think there's a possibility of a dual gain design? That way Pentax gets the benefits similar to the "accelerator chip" on the K-1, but without reviewers and users crying about that bit of "baked in" processing.
Have no idea---and neither does anyone else who hasn't signed an NDA or who works for Pentax.
12-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Ahhhhh. This must be the model with an articulated flippy. Thank God.
Pentax rumors!? As long as it's not a model with an articulated FLOPPY!

12-28-2020, 03:32 AM   #380

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
According to what I've read from video guys, it's more the quality of the video than the resolution itself (so higher bitrate, SR and decent AF.C during recording, cleaner output etc.). I'm also not interested in video myself so someone correct me if I've said some nonsense
Bitrate, sensor-crop, oversampling or line-skipping, raw, raw over hdmi, log, tools (focus peaking, zebra, waveforms,...), maximum recording duration - all make a huge difference and are still unknown.

Of course, different people have different needs. However, 4K is NOT automatically great video.

I would be surprised though if it was more than a barebones 4K implementation. It‘s propably in there because Pentax got it „for free“ with the Milbaut chip.
12-28-2020, 04:36 AM   #381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Bitrate, sensor-crop, oversampling or line-skipping, raw, raw over hdmi, log, tools (focus peaking, zebra, waveforms,...), maximum recording duration - all make a huge difference and are still unknown.

Of course, different people have different needs. However, 4K is NOT automatically great video.

I would be surprised though if it was more than a barebones 4K implementation. It‘s propably in there because Pentax got it „for free“ with the Milbaut chip.
RAW would be too much anyway. I suppose that it will not rival the top hybrid cameras and it will not pretend to be more than that. We do know however that max Rev time is 25 min. It has 4K 25/30 and this should be with out crop. They also have 1080 50&60 and that should be with out crop too. Given the fact that card slot 1 is UHS II, it should give pretty decent writing speed and therefore also good bitrate. That and mechanical SR will bring video up to this time. Not at the top. But it should be decent.
12-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
RAW would be too much anyway. I suppose that it will not rival the top hybrid cameras and it will not pretend to be more than that. We do know however that max Rev time is 25 min. It has 4K 25/30 and this should be with out crop. They also have 1080 50&60 and that should be with out crop too. Given the fact that card slot 1 is UHS II, it should give pretty decent writing speed and therefore also good bitrate. That and mechanical SR will bring video up to this time. Not at the top. But it should be decent.
Is there a method aside from in camera editing for Pentax to create custom color profiles as it does for Canon and Nikon? Those people have had DSLR cameras with custom profiles able to mimic like 90% of the editing latitude of LOG profiles for basically a decade. That alone will significantly improve usability for semi-pro / enthusiast editing.

12-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #383

We do know however that max Rev time is 25 min.
Where do we know that from?
12-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Is there a method aside from in camera editing for Pentax to create custom color profiles as it does for Canon and Nikon? Those people have had DSLR cameras with custom profiles able to mimic like 90% of the editing latitude of LOG profiles for basically a decade. That alone will significantly improve usability for semi-pro / enthusiast editing.
Yes.

shoot flat and do PP in post. Have to be careful with settings.

PiDicus rex have said that many times. I'v actually tried that, and it does work pretty good. You'll get plenty material for LOG. Throw in your own looks/LUT's, or edit as preferred. if it was 10 -bit with proper bitrates, it would be perfect. Lot of people talk about need of RAW. I have shot BRAW just handful times, and mostly because of it is huge..
12-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #385
Pentaxian

Yes.

shoot flat and do PP in post. Have to be careful with settings.

PiDicus rex have said that many times. I'v actually tried that, and it does work pretty good. You'll get plenty material for LOG. Throw in your own looks/LUT's, or edit as preferred. if it was 10 -bit with proper bitrates, it would be perfect. Lot of people talk about need of RAW. I have shot BRAW just handful times, and mostly because of it is huge..
My KP is set so that the result looks just like the scene I saw.
I used to use Kodachrome25 - now I still use professionally-designed automation to capture what I saw.
12-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #386
Pentaxian

Where do we know that from?
Spec list is out. Has been for a while(not completelly yet). And there it is. 25 min. Have a look. It does not revela more than that. This and forexample that waveform thing can be solved with external monitor. Let us hope for Clean HDMI
12-28-2020, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #387

Spec list is out. Has been for a while(not completelly yet). And there it is. 25 min. Have a look. It does not revela more than that. This and forexample that waveform thing can be solved with external monitor. Let us hope for Clean HDMI
Interesting, thank you! I notice though that it says "Clips up to 4GB / 25 minutes". That's not the same as maximum recording duration, because it doesn't necessarily mean the camera isn't capable of continuing recording to a subsequent file without interruption, as some other cameras can. With a lot of other cameras, recording time is either limited by heat problems and/or by EU tax (cameras that can record longer than 30 mins get taxed higher in Europe so the manufacturers just limit the recording time ).

---------- Post added 12-29-20 at 03:38 AM ----------

Given the fact that card slot 1 is UHS II, it should give pretty decent writing speed and therefore also good bitrate.
I would not make that deduction. Yes, UHS-2 would allow for a good bitrate, if also the rest of the pipeline is up to it and, this is where i have my doubts, if Pentax had an interest in achieving this.
UHS-2 has 3 times the throughput of UHS-1, but also 4K has 4 times as many pixels as HD.
The K3-ii had UHS-1 and HD video, and it had a crappy bitrate. Not because card writing speeds wouldn't allow it, but because Pentax doesn't (yet) aim to please video people; they are picky about where to put their limited R&D resources, as any David amongst Goliaths should.

But i keep my fingers crossed that i'm wrong.
12-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #388

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
They have to deliver K-new before I will believe anything about them doing another camera.
I'm sure the k3 iii is coming out. They also need to come out with a more video centric camera. However there is lens breathing on quite a few lens that will cause video noise. The 15mm limited for instance. Would be the perfect video lens.

Pentax needs to resolve this issue the other mfgs solved quite a few years ago.

Is there a good quiet lens you would recommend ?

Steve
12-29-2020, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #389
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did a 60 minute or so video with my KP the other day.... I think it also has the 25/4GB limit... seemed to work fine... when a new speaker came up I stoped the video sometime before 20 minutes.... and started again immediately as they made their way up....... got 3 or so 20 minute files. Off course... not being a video person I was aware that everything was going to not work because pentax blah nlah..... but tried it before going to the event and KP worked fine... go figure... I can't imagine how it would be an issue for most of us normal users...
12-29-2020, 12:51 AM   #390
Pentaxian

Interesting, thank you! I notice though that it says "Clips up to 4GB / 25 minutes". That's not the same as maximum recording duration, because it doesn't necessarily mean the camera isn't capable of continuing recording to a subsequent file without interruption, as some other cameras can. With a lot of other cameras, recording time is either limited by heat problems and/or by EU tax (cameras that can record longer than 30 mins get taxed higher in Europe so the manufacturers just limit the recording time ).

---------- Post added 12-29-20 at 03:38 AM ----------

I would not make that deduction. Yes, UHS-2 would allow for a good bitrate, if also the rest of the pipeline is up to it and, this is where i have my doubts, if Pentax had an interest in achieving this.
UHS-2 has 3 times the throughput of UHS-1, but also 4K has 4 times as many pixels as HD.
The K3-ii had UHS-1 and HD video, and it had a crappy bitrate. Not because card writing speeds wouldn't allow it, but because Pentax doesn't (yet) aim to please video people; they are picky about where to put their limited R&D resources, as any David amongst Goliaths should.

But i keep my fingers crossed that i'm wrong.
Yes, I know this. But this time there is warning of possible overheating for the first time ever. That could speak for mode data moving. It could also be result of too tight paggage. Or both. I think that this time they have put more money in R&D than before.

I believe that this 25min/4 Gb restriction is not because of this, but more for that going around of restrictions. My old(sold it by now) Oly E-5M II made automatically separated clips. So it kept on recording but cut it in several clips(annoying, while practical). But knowing it is 25 min is enough.

---------- Post added 12-29-20 at 09:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I did a 60 minute or so video with my KP the other day.... I think it also has the 25/4GB limit... seemed to work fine... when a new speaker came up I stoped the video sometime before 20 minutes.... and started again immediately as they made their way up....... got 3 or so 20 minute files. Off course... not being a video person I was aware that everything was going to not work because pentax blah nlah..... but tried it before going to the event and KP worked fine... go figure... I can't imagine how it would be an issue for most of us normal users...
In that way it is not problem. It is only the case when you need the camera to roll long enough and can’t be there right next to it to continue when it stops. Sometimes it is crucial.