Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2020, 01:22 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi all, read an article this morning and the bloke from Pentax said that they are sticking with DSLR and not going mirrorless so hopefully a new K1 will be in the offing soon, Ian

12-29-2020, 04:47 AM   #392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thatll be this one

Pentax 'Cannot' Go Mirrorless: Ricoh Imaging CEO
12-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #393
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi all, read an article this morning and the bloke from Pentax said that they are sticking with DSLR and not going mirrorless so hopefully a new K1 will be in the offing soon, Ian
They also say that the same team works on GR and Pentax alternating the two brands. We've had suggestions the next camera is a GR so I wont expect any new Pentax model on the heels of k-33.
12-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
They also say that the same team works on GR and Pentax alternating the two brands. We've had suggestions the next camera is a GR so I wont expect any new Pentax model on the heels of k-33.
A lot of false assumptions are needed in order to make this interpretation work. "Same team" doesn't even make sense, given the huge range of domains that it would have to cover.

12-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #395
Pentaxian

I don't understand why you think the same team can't design the GR and the K3-III. Please explain how the "huge range of domains" fail to overlap between the GR and the Pentax. I dont trust the translation to be accurate so you might well be correct however
QuoteQuote:
The production base has also been switched from the Ricoh factory in China, where it was until the GR II, to the Hanoi factory in Vietnam, where Pentax lenses were made. Both GR and PENTAX are made by the same people, and development is carried out alternately. What emerged was a sense of unity. After all, all of our staff members love cameras, and they work together with the sole purpose of making better products.
12-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #396
Pentaxian

I don't understand why you think the same team can't design the GR and the K3-III. Please explain how the "huge range of domains" fail to overlap between the GR and the Pentax. I dont trust the translation to be accurate so you might well be correct however
I'm saying there's no single team. Even for a lens there's mechanical, optical, electronics, software - and that's just to mention some very general domains.
If you think of one single team now working on the GR, now on Pentax - it doesn't make any sense to me. You'd get a lot of people sitting idle because they did their part, and the next project didn't even start...
12-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm saying there's no single team. Even for a lens there's mechanical, optical, electronics, software - and that's just to mention some very general domains.
If you think of one single team now working on the GR, now on Pentax - it doesn't make any sense to me. You'd get a lot of people sitting idle because they did their part, and the next project didn't even start...
So its the word team. You use it in a more specific way.

12-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #398
Pentaxian

So its the word team. You use it in a more specific way.
You were the one making assumptions and drawing conclusions about the upcoming products.
12-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #399
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But it does help to explain recent timing - why, for example, the GRRRR seems to have slowed down progress on K-products.
The members who finish things couldn't finish the K-3iii until the GRRRR was finished.
12-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But it does help to explain recent timing - why, for example, the GRRRR seems to have slowed down progress on K-products.
The members who finish things couldn't finish the K-3iii until the GRRRR was finished.
They never made a GRRRR camera.

You're talking about finishing cameras, I'm talking about working on cameras - where I'm sure there is some parallelization.
For example, work on various K-3 III components (like the new pentaprism) was ongoing while they were working on the GR III and the K-1 II.

I expect a new K-1 earlier than if they'd only start working on it after they'd finish some new GR.
12-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #401
Pentaxian

They never made a GRRRR camera.

You're talking about finishing cameras, I'm talking about working on cameras - where I'm sure there is some parallelization.
For example, work on various K-3 III components (like the new pentaprism) was ongoing while they were working on the GR III and the K-1 II.

I expect a new K-1 earlier than if they'd only start working on it after they'd finish some new GR.
Yes I did say finish - in this case the K-mount camera may have had to wait for the ‘fInishing’ team.
It looks like the K-3iii will be three years after the K-1ii.
Only time will tell how much time will pass until the next K-mount camera.
12-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #402
Pentaxian

Yes I did say finish - in this case the K-mount camera may have had to wait for the ‘fInishing’ team.
It looks like the K-3iii will be three years after the K-1ii.
Only time will tell how much time will pass until the next K-mount camera.
A year or so? Maybe?

You forget how the K-3 III is a completely new camera, with tons of newly developed technologies. I believe that's the reason for the "gap".
12-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #403
Pentaxian

A year or so? Maybe?

You forget how the K-3 III is a completely new camera, with tons of newly developed technologies. I believe that's the reason for the "gap".
A “K-mount” team or teams could have worked at getting the K-3iii close - but three years, even for a completely new camera, is a long time.
Covid-19 could explain part of it, but only part.
The “K-3 shelf” has been empty for a long time now.

I don’t care - I am happy with my KP.
12-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #404
Pentaxian

A “K-mount” team or teams could have worked at getting the K-3iii close - but three years, even for a completely new camera, is a long time.
Covid-19 could explain part of it, but only part.
The “K-3 shelf” has been empty for a long time now.

I don’t care - I am happy with my KP.
I'd say it's a reasonable time. The K-3 being discontinued has nothing to do with it, you can't hurry up the development just by wishing to have a new product.
12-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #405
Pentaxian

I'd say it's a reasonable time. The K-3 being discontinued has nothing to do with it, you can't hurry up the development just by wishing to have a new product.
One would hope that their planning would have depended on getting production on one product meeting end of remaining stock of product it is replacing.

But I am personally happy with my KP - this is a matter between Pentax and their K-3 line customers for whom the KP does not meet their needs.

Last edited by reh321; 12-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.