Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 05:37 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It has happened before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vividly remember that Pentax 11-point AF was identical to some Nikon model. I can't remember now which.....
It was alos said at the time that Nikon AF developers were former Pentax employees..
True but I don't remember Nikons 11 point AF performance being near Pentax's are rather the opposite lol.

Who knows? But I cannot imagine how you can implement features like AF and SR without getting licenses from someone for at least parts of the system. You can't reinvent the wheel several times over.....
Indeed.
But licensing the tech and using "off the shelf" AF module is completely different.

10-20-2020, 06:00 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Who knows? But I cannot imagine how you can implement features like AF and SR without getting licenses from someone for at least parts of the system. You can't reinvent the wheel several times over.....
You're right, at some point they might infringe some patent or another - and they'd have to pay royalties, or have a cross-licensing agreement.
But, this was about getting the Multi-CAM 20000 AF module and not some specific aspect they can't find a workaround for.

Let's not forget, Ricoh Imaging has now experience with an advanced AF system connected to a RGB metering system for subject recognition and tracking. The new AF will fundamentally do the same things, although there's a lot of work in order to reach the next level in performance.
10-20-2020, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Let's not forget, Ricoh Imaging has now experience with an advanced AF system connected to a RGB metering system for subject recognition and tracking. The new AF will fundamentally do the same things, although there's a lot of work in order to reach the next level in performance.
I agree but this has nothing to do with PDAF module.
I hope they do both though, a brand new AF module (and I do not care a iota from where it comes) AND help from RGB sensor.
10-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree but this has nothing to do with PDAF module.
I hope they do both though, a brand new AF module (and I do not care a iota from where it comes) AND help from RGB sensor.
I'm sure they will do both.

10-20-2020, 07:07 AM - 3 Likes   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Here’s a baselss speculation:
  1. Nikon suddenly has SR
  2. Pentax supposedly has a new AF architecture
  3. Both are capital constrained.
Do you suppose there could have been some sort of technology cross-licensing at lower ongoing cash costs?

Discuss.
10-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here’s a baselss speculation:
  1. Nikon suddenly has SR
  2. Pentax supposedly has a new AF architecture
  3. Both are capital constrained.
Do you suppose there could have been some sort of technology cross-licensing at lower ongoing cash costs?

Discuss.
Given the current practice licensing lenses, the licensing of an AF system isn't even that far fetched.
10-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Discuss.
But, speculative threads belong elsewhere

I will say, however, that I'm glad to see Ricoh Imaging working (among other things) on new AF-related technologies - as indicated by various patents. Because from now on they might be the only ones to develop new SLR AF systems!
10-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I will say, however, that I'm glad to see Ricoh Imaging working (among other things) on new AF-related technologies - as indicated by various patents. Because from now on they might be the only ones to develop new SLR AF systems!
If they've reverse engineered competitors systems to understand how they work , they may have even figured out a way to improve on what's out there.

10-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If they've reverse engineered competitors systems to understand how they work , they may have even figured out a way to improve on what's out there.
I think they're very capable of developing on their own. They just needed the resources and management support for that.
10-20-2020, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

All I know is that I'll be waiting for it. I'm in no rush. I'm still hoping for much improved AF performance, especially in regards to tracking & viewfinder AF confirmation. That will keep me happy in the Pentax fold.

I've been shooting my K-50 bodies & playing a lot with RawTherapee lately. That's holding me over for now. Hahaha!
10-20-2020, 01:52 PM - 4 Likes   #146

I think these thread is like all the others before.
Same posts, same Information.....
..... can be closed, too.
10-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #147
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
All I know is that I'll be waiting for it. I'm in no rush. I'm still hoping for much improved AF performance, especially in regards to tracking & viewfinder AF confirmation. That will keep me happy in the Pentax fold.

I've been shooting my K-50 bodies & playing a lot with RawTherapee lately. That's holding me over for now. Hahaha!
The KP + DA 55-300 PLM combination focuses more quickly and surely than my K-30 + DA 55-300 did, so I am confident that you will pleased by how the “K-3ii replacement” focuses with a modern lens.
10-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
I think these thread is like all the others before.
Same posts, same Information.....
..... can be closed, too.
I think we need to keep atleast one of them going.
10-20-2020, 05:58 PM - 4 Likes   #149
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I think we need to keep atleast one of them going.
For what? More baseless speculation?
As several have expressed the wish....

threadclosed
Closed Thread